NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Racism: Your View.

Racism is a very odd thing, but do you think that some people are going too far to "prevent" it?

First of all: People who base people solely on where they are from/colour of the skin are the ones that need to be stopped.

But, some people take it so far. The following comment for example

You black b**tard

If someone says that to someone you hate, then the "b**tard" part is the only insult, yet people seem to think that the "black" part is supposed to be the insult (I'm aware that in a minority of cases, it is). The thing is, more often than not, the "black" part is just a descriptive word, not an insult. When insulting someone, most people just want to make them sound "different" to you, and black is simply just "different".

The most annoying thing is only some "racist" comments are considered "racist". People in this county seem to get annoyed if you include things like "black", "Asian", "Chinese", "Indian", etc in the same sentence as an insult. I've never seen anyone complain about people using words like "Welsh", "White", "American" or "English". In fact, this type of "racism" is used openly in the media.

So, this brings up a very ironic point. Racism is very racist.

Are people taking things too seriously?

Some of my cousins are in their first year of high school. They have been taught that they are not allowed to use the word "Eskimo". Eskimo is somply the term used to refer to people who inhabit the circumpolar region. How is it racist?

So, what does everyone else think?

I think it has gone too far. I am all against racist comments, I hate people who judge others by the colour of their skin, but it's getting ridiculous. You can't say, "he has brown hair, black skin..." It would have to be changed to coloured skin, or something else. Saying someone is black isn't being racist, it's stating a fact!

Everyone is scared to say anything about black people incase it's considered as racist. At school last week my friend was talking to me about a bunch of people in my school who had a fight. He said "you know, the ... black ones". It's as though everyone is scared to say it. Im not racist at all, and am totally against it, but I think it has become pathetic the way that we have to say things. The same way that I don't care if im referred to as white. It just isn't insulting to me.

I think the idea here are any significant amount of people who think that the word black should be banned is a myth used as a diversionary tactic to be honest.

I've never seen anyone complain about people using words like "Welsh", "White", "American" or "English".
I get to read media complaints at work, and trust me, there are more accusations of anti-white, anti-english and anti-christian racism than any other type.

I agree that the whole racism thing is racist, i spent 17 years of my life in a predominantly asian area where i would get called some racist things but if anyone did or said anything to them then they'd play the race card and get away with it. It happened so often, not with me but with people i know who weren't racist but got made out to look it by some of these asian people. The police used to think that if a white guy and an asian guy fight it'll be the white guys fault just because they're scared of being called racist or something.

anyway, if that didn't make sense this will :-

Everyone's a little bit racist

Today.

So, everyone's a little bit racist

Okay!

Ethinic jokes might be uncouth,

But you laugh because

They're based on truth.

Don't take them as

Personal attacks.

Everyone enjoys them -

So relax!

Brian:

But you're racist, too.

Christmas Eve:

Yes, I know.

The Jews have all

The money

And the whites have all

The power.

And I'm always in taxi-cab

With driver who no shower!

It's true.

But everyone is just about

As racist as you!

If we all could just admit

That we are racist a little bit,

And everyone stopped being

So PC

Maybe we could live in -

Harmony!

Everyones a little bit racist!

People are too easily offended, that's just a plain fact. It seems even some people like to be offended even by obviously descriptive words like 'black' or 'Jew'. They like to take them out of context to be offended just for the sheer attention it gets them. I've seen it happen a lot.

Racism is a terrible thing, but antiracism shouldn't be misused.

Today.

So, everyone's a little bit racist

Okay!

Classic.

About the term eskimo nationalities don't seem to like it when other ethnic groups make there own names for them.

Like Native American and African American people bitch and moan to have race terms made un-pc and I think Eskimo has had the same treatment.

They like to be called Inuits which is a bit silly because they're not all Inuits.

Like calling all Native Americans Cherokee's.

Do they still use the term coloured to describe people other than white?

Only if you're 65.

I think you're supposed to say black.

The eskimo is offensive thing is untrue. They are all eskimos. Only a few are Inuits. That's like called all english people londoners.

Personally I think the law against racism creates more racism than it prevents. Political corectness has definitely gone too far. It just makes everything complicated and people get annoyed.

Coloured is more offensive...cos black isn't a colour.

I was told it was offensive because coloured can be used for all none white people and makes them different from white people. And black is equal to white.

I hate racism. One of my best mates gets ripped constantly because he is black and I really feel sorry for him. Don't ever judge a HUMAN BEING by the colour of their skin.

Alot of racism threads, would be easier to track if it was all in one thread.

Let's say I know a rather overweight person, if I were to call them 'a fat bastard' would the fat be just a descriptive label, or part of the insult? It is part of the insult, it is drawing attention to that fact to try and say there is something wrong with being fat, in my view, it implies the same whatever that word, be it fat, black, white etc. That comment quoted in the original post has racist connotations, and if you can't see that, well, it's part of the whole racist problem. I find the argument of it being 'different' senseless.

I think also alot of the issue of it being taken more seriously in the cases of ethnic minorities is due to history and all that, and how typically, white people were very racist towards them. It was once a massive problem, and to try and rid the problem, they went quite far in steps towards reducing it.

My grandad once told me that the 'coloured race' was everyone from the Middle-East to as far as India. 'Coloured' also included the Native Americans and Aboriginees. The, believe it or not, 'yellow race' was used to refer to Eastern Asians, like Mongolian, Chinese and Japanese et cetera.

How quaint.

It's black, asian, and white. 'nuff said. I guess you could go into it and say Indian, chinese and all that.

When people are insulting other people. They quite often look at the person and add a premodifier to personlise the insult. Like fat bastard or ginger **** etc sometimes people do this with race as well. I think that you cant just say its descriptive as it usually means their different to you and different = bad part of the insult.

I think this is what Jade Goody did its a very stupid thing to do but I think is different to pure racism. But is bad in a different way.

To me, insults like "black bast*rd" are not as bad as what my mate is being called. He has an orange coat and people call him Terrys Chocolate Orange and other people call him a Porch Monkey. He gets ripped constantly and its pissing me off.

It's black, asian, and white. 'nuff said. I guess you could go into it and say Indian, chinese and all that.

I actually hate how indian asians and oriental asians are grouped together like that. I think the PC terms for those are south asian and east asian respectively, but I dunno.

To me, insults like "black bast*rd" are not as bad as what my mate is being called. He has an orange coat and people call him Terrys Chocolate Orange and other people call him a Porch Monkey. He gets ripped constantly and its pissing me off.

Porch Monkey? wtf? Terry's Chocolate Orange isn't that bad, unless its actually related to his colour, is it a big puffy orange coat?

Its all blown out of proportion. I have a white friend who we all call Jew even though he isnt and an Indian friend we all call Terrorist, though he isnt. Then they sing "In The Navy" to me and call me gay though Im not but thats for a different debate. I wont judge anyone based on their race, I judge people on who they are. All races can be arseholes.

Porch Monkey? wtf? Terry's Chocolate Orange isn't that bad, unless its actually related to his colour, is it a big puffy orange coat?

Porch Monkey is a racist term meaning that black people are poor and live on people porches (I think) and Terrys chocolate orange, chocolate being racist and orange being the colour of his coat.

what i dont get is when some black people dont like to be singled out by being called black but then go on to celebrate 'black history month' and watch 'Black Entertainment Television'

A black comedian once said that rednecks in US live in trailers and have sex with their sisters. No problems for him.

If a white person calls a black man "cottonpicker",its the most racist thing you can say.

Sign in to follow this