NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
epoch

HDMi to DVi

I'm planning to buy a small Samsung (19") HDTV which doesnt have a HDMi connection.

I know that DVi and HDMi are compatible but will this result in either a degrdation of picture quality or lack of functionality?

Thanks for any help

I'm planning to buy a small Samsung (19") HDTV which doesnt have a HDMi connection.

I know that DVi and HDMi are compatible but will this result in either a degrdation of picture quality or lack of functionality?

Thanks for any help

No, DVI and HDMI are both comparable quality wise, the only difference being that HDMI can carry audio as well as video, where as DVI can only carry video, hence HDMI being the successor to DVI.

Samsung LE19R71BX is the TV im looking at.

OK i dont think it has composite connections but im not sure.

If i want a wii to display 480p does this have the connections i need?

The 19" is not HD.

It doesn't have a HD decoder. Only the 21"+ have the capacity to run HD.

Samsung LE19R71BX is the TV im looking at.

OK i dont think it has composite connections but im not sure.

If i want a wii to display 480p does this have the connections i need?

No, you would need component inputs, to which that TV does not.

I would look in to getting this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2006/06/26/Samsung-SyncMaster-215TW-21in-Monitor/p1

It may be a PC monitor but it will function better than a similarly priced TV and you're getting an extra 2" of screen.

The only disadvantage is that it doesnt have a built in TV tuner so you'll need to connect one up using Composite or S-Video. Freeview, Sky and NTL boxes will do the job there.

Theres component for 480p on the Wii, a VGA port for your PC and a HDCP compatible DVI port for Vista/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SkyHD/Other HD Sources

Forgot to mention, it also has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. For £350 thats a bargain, most LCD TVs use 720p (1080 x 720).

I would look in to getting this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2006/06/26/Samsung-SyncMaster-215TW-21in-Monitor/p1

It may be a PC monitor but it will function better than a similarly priced TV and you're getting an extra 2" of screen.

The only disadvantage is that it doesnt have a built in TV tuner so you'll need to connect one up using Composite or S-Video. Freeview, Sky and NTL boxes will do the job there.

Theres component for 480p on the Wii, a VGA port for your PC and a HDCP compatible DVI port for Vista/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/SkyHD/Other HD Sources

Forgot to mention, it also has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. For £350 thats a bargain, most LCD TVs use 720p (1080 x 720).

No LCD run's 720p at that resolution since it's not even widescreen. However they do run 720p at 1280×720.

Sign in to follow this