NEurope
Stocka

Gates: "Nintendo is standing still online"

Which is out in Japan right now isn't it? The Pokemon battle game, that has more friend codes added to it. :(

It is disappointing, but we don't know if every game will use it or if it was just a rushed thing they did.

In terms of online I'm using my Wii more than the 360 for the simple reason that it can connect wirelessly out of the box, expecting you to pay £65 for the privelege of going wireless in this day and age is outrageous. Microsofts Live System may have a lot of good points but the system still needs a lot of work in my opinion to make it appealing or worthwhile to me (and I know I'm not the only one) so they should correct that before they start making accusations in my eyes.

What would you change about it?

Xbox Live is not a necessary £40 a year like people seem to constantly point out. The silver service is free, and that gives you all of the perks of the Gold service except for online gaming. This includes downloadable demos, trailers, online leaderboards, friends list, messaging, chat, etc.

When Nintendo actually get some decent online games, only then will the price become relevant.

Exactly, the free service that Xbox Lives is 100x better than the free service which Nintendo supplies.

I like the way this turned into a huge 'slag off Nintendo' thread. You're getting a free service what do you expect. You're comparing a Wii online service, not even in action yet, to the one on the DS. Makes little sense to me. If they release Smash Bros with no options and only 2 player online, then i'll change my tune.

I like the way this turned into a huge 'slag off Nintendo' thread. You're getting a free service what do you expect. You're comparing a Wii online service, not even in action yet, to the one on the DS.

There's nothing to compare, The Wii/DS online seems to be exactly the same. Unfortunately.

To be honest, I'm not expecting a very good online service, but it's free so it's OK, just as long as I can play Smash online I'm cool.

I think you should judge the online service a year from now when it has been fully operational for a while.

Yes, Nintendo is slow and late at getting things sorted

Yes, the Friend Codes are an unnecessary hassle

Still, we have no choice but to be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt that something good will eventually come of this...

I'd buy a Wii if it had anything like Xbox Live, but it doesn't, so I can't see myself getting one.

For the VC stuff they should of allowed you a free 30minute demo of the gam before allowing you to part with all your hard earned dosh

Over at gonintendo.com there is a report of an Irish site stating that MK Armageddon will be online for the Wii. If that is the case, we will be online within two months.:kiss:

Too many outside factors interfere with it. For example I used wifi at my home to connect my pc to my wireless router. The connection quality was good/great(70-85%) but for some reason it dropped out once in a while. For some slow paced games wifi works fine, but playing an fps on wireless is frustrating because of the lag.

My mates 360 works fine with COD3 & such and that uses WiFi...:indeed:

If Nintendo did put some real effort into online gaming, they would shit all over Xbox Live.

Xbox Live online gaming consists mostly of shooting and racing games. It's a PC-like online gaming experience on a console - as I similarly stated earlier in this thread - and I'd imagine many people who want that will stick with the genuine article it apes. Microsoft have done next to nothing to broaden Live's appeal since it was launched nearly four years ago, and with games like Halo 3 and Forza Motorsports 2 on the way and headlining their release schedules, they show little sign of doing so in the future.

Nintendo have a much bigger and more varied catalogue of franchises begging for a broad range of online gaming elements that more people - than the already established gaming crowd Xbox Live is vying for the attention of - would be interested in. Unfortunately, I can't see Nintendo ever fully exploiting this amazing potential. :sad:

If Nintendo did put some real effort into online gaming, they would shit all over Xbox Live.

Xbox Live online gaming consists mostly of shooting and racing games. It's a PC-like online gaming experience on a console - as I similarly stated earlier in this thread - and I'd imagine many people who want that will stick with the genuine article it apes. Microsoft have done next to nothing to broaden Live's appeal since it was launched nearly four years ago, and with games like Halo 3 and Forza Motorsports 2 on the way and headlining their release schedules, they show little sign of doing so in the future.

Nintendo have a much bigger and more varied catalogue of franchises begging for a broad range of online gaming elements that more people - than the already established gaming crowd Xbox Live is vying for the attention of - would be interested in. Unfortunately, I can't see Nintendo ever fully exploiting this amazing potential. :sad:

Yes...

And i will stand right.................here

And what is it exactly that needs correcting?.

The things I said, if I must I'll bullet them for you.

1. The Price of a subscription

2. The lack of Wireless out of the box and the utterly extortionate price to get a wireless apapter (£65 when you can buy a 2nd hand DS that can do the same, and many more for the same price)

3. The lack of variety of games (not in my original points but in retrospect a very valid one)

Given I don't have the time to regularly play online games it really isn't worth my while to get into it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The things I said, if I must I'll bullet them for you.

1. The Price of a subscription

2. The lack of Wireless out of the box and the utterly extortionate price to get a wireless apapter (£65 when you can buy a 2nd hand DS that can do the same, and many more for the same price)

3. The lack of variety of games (not in my original points but in retrospect a very valid one)

Given I don't have the time to regularly play online games it really isn't worth my while to get into it and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As someone already said, the free service (Xbox Live Silver) does everything and more than the current Wii online service does.

No one's forcing you to go wireles, it has built in ethernet, something the Wii should have too, the price of the adaptor is too hight though, I'll give yo uthat.

What other types of games do you want? I can't think of a single genre that you can't play over XBL...

Microsoft have done next to nothing to broaden Live's appeal since it was launched nearly four years ago
Apart from adding free downloadable demos, trailers, TV shows, movies, Xbox Live Arcade games (most of which feature online play, leaderboards and downloadable content - and many of which are cheaper than VC titles), video chat, achievements and picture messaging?

Apart from adding free downloadable demos, trailers, TV shows, movies, Xbox Live Arcade games (most of which feature online play, leaderboards and downloadable content - and many of which are cheaper than VC titles), video chat, achievements and picture messaging?

Clearly Nintendo will do better.

As someone already said, the free service (Xbox Live Silver) does everything and more than the current Wii online service does.

No one's forcing you to go wireles, it has built in ethernet, something the Wii should have too, the price of the adaptor is too hight though, I'll give yo uthat.

What other types of games do you want? I can't think of a single genre that you can't play over XBL...

My router is in the hall, the 360 is in my bedroom. A wired connection isn't convenient for me, wireless can be convenient for everyone, those who prefer the stability of a wired connection should of course have it offered to them, whilst I'm aware the Wii doesn't do that the adaptor will cost nothing like the 360's wireless one will. If I could get a wireless card for my 360 for £20-25 then I'd be fine, paying more than double that is ridiculous though.

As I've already said, what Silver offers is great for me. Its free and easy to use although I can't keep it permanently connected and being able to download demo's in particular has really helped improve the 360 experience for me. Nintendo's service isn't much different though bar the lack of demos, something which I'm sure will be sorted in time. Instead of that though we have the browser which I've found incredibly handy, not for browsing but for watching videos from bed. That's something which is free for the time being and will cost a couple of quid upon release, not to mention that its something that the 360 doesn't offer.

However Gold, and playing online games in full doesn't have enough of an appeal to me for the price I'd have to pay and as I've already said, I know I'm not the only one.

As for different types of games, an online RPG (that is actually decent), an online strategy game or something like that would be nice.

As far as online gaming goes, I'm not going to give my opinion on that until we've seen the first batch of online games. Who says they won't include voice chat? Even if it only is amongst friends, but I doubt many would want to talk to randomers anyway (although thats a whole different argument). So I don't think much more can be said until we see the games.

Thinking about what the DS offered online, there isn't enough depth to rival that of Xbox live, and I don't think its trying to rival it at all. With the Wii, we can message other users at any time. I booted up my Wii earlier and found I had a message off a mate who I haven't been able to talk to due to other issues, but that sorta thing was missing from the DS. There isn't just a list of friendcodes either, as they can be replaced with names in the address book.

Nintendo are starting to offer other things beside online gaming, such as the web-browser, the ability to download classic games, news and weather channels. There's the option to add more in future, too.

So, I'm going to have to disagree with Billy's comment about them standing still. If he's just refering to online gaming, then we'll have to wait and see about that. If its regards to the whole online experience, in my opinion, Nintendo are improving.

I know it won't be long before somebody comes in here and starts shitting on my opinion, but that's what it is, my opinion.

Gates can say whatever he likes. He can be sued hundreds of millions of dollars for slanderous defamation and it'll be loose change, a days earnings.

I can't really comment until the online system actually is up and running.

Time will tell basically. But hopefully its about on par with the PS3 online system, to minimise chances of that system selling to customers that don't also purchase Wiis.

As for different types of games, an online RPG (that is actually decent), an online strategy game or something like that would be nice.

I think there's a PSO game out, there was a demo of it anyway. For RTS', there is that LOTR game, I'm sure there's another too and Halo Wars is on the way. :)

I think there's a PSO game out, there was a demo of it anyway. For RTS', there is that LOTR game, I'm sure there's another too and Halo Wars is on the way. :)

I'm sure plenty of games in those genres will come, is just a matter of time - all I eamn is that at this moment in time there aren't enough games I'd want to play over Live. Gears is the only game that I own that I really want to boot up on Live.

Gates also said in the same article about how much Viva Pinata gets played in his household! Well it's about the only place it does get played, barely anyone brought the game lol

It will work out. Bill Gates isn't completely wrong, Nintendo is standing still at the moment. but Nintendo is doing the learning curve. jumping in like PlayStation 3 might not be the best thing to do. I'm sure that inf ive years from now, we will have a good, channel-based system allowing gamers to do heaps of things. i'm not expecting movies of TV-shows, but I am thinking that lonline will be better in a few years from now. If you just give it time enough to make it work. They're learning.

If the company was still under Yamauchi, there wouldn't be online at all. They'll have it sorted out in a fewx years from now, and that's what i'm sure of.