NEurope
cbadds

Gizmondo 2 : WS

LONDON, 16th September 2005 – Gizmondo Europe Ltd subsidiary of Jacksonville, Florida-based Tiger Telematics Inc (other OTC, TGTL) today addressed media speculation that the widescreen model in the Gizmondo range is now developed, following the publishing of unofficial prototype photographs.

The WiFi and GSM Voice-enabled Gizmondo Widescreen had been kept under wraps as part of a multimillion-dollar R&D project. It was developed as a key component of an ongoing product roadmap that currently includes plans for a number of different devices, all of which feature the unique combined functionality of games, music, movies, messaging, a digital camera and GPS technology.

The new Widescreen device will compliment the current Gizmondo, due to launch shortly in North America, and give entertainment-hungry consumers more choice in terms of specification and feature sets, as well as an upgrade path - which will be detailed prior to the projected release in the second quarter of 2006.

As its name entails, the Widescreen has a larger 4†razor-sharp display. The Processor’s power and memory are increased to power a suite of new onboard applications serviced via WiFi (WLAN 802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2, and tri-band GSM technology, making it the most powerfully connected handheld entertainment device available. WiFi expands the multiplayer and interconnectivity possibilities for all Gizmondo owners.

Steve Carroll, CTO, Tiger Telematics, says: “We’re dramatically increasing the processor power to above 500MHz on this Widescreen model and significantly escalating the amount of memory. Although the 3D graphics accelerator used in the Gizmondo is the current best of breed, this next generation takes us visually into a new dimension.â€

The new model specification includes:

GSM voice telephony

Handsfree speakerphone

Voice control using voice recognition software

LCD TFT screen 4.0†480 x 272 pixels

Upgraded 3D graphics chip

Analogue TV out

500MHz (min) processor

Onboard RAM

Onboard flash

SD flash card reader, externally accessible

Transflash card reader for user upgradeable flash memory

GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz or 850/1800/1900MHz tri-band

USB 2.0 OTG

High sensitivity GPS receiver with assist capability

Two analogue joysticks

3.5 Ah Li-Ion ‘smart’ battery

2 mega pixel auto focus camera with LED flash

Stereo speakers

Bluetooth class 2

WLAN 802.11b/g

Wired stereo headset/mic

Remote control pod for wired headset

Additional features:

SMS/MMS/IM receive and send

Email client

Satellite Navigation

Audio and video playback

Vibration mode

‘Flight Mode’ – games operational but radio services switched off

Approved for sale initially in USA followed by Europe

Temperature range 0ºC - 55ºC

Windows CE 5.0 operating system and DRM 10

.NET compact framework 2.0

SD card and Transflash interfaces

USB OTG interface for synchronisation to a PC and connecting to a USB memory device

MP3/WMA/HE-AAC audio playback, MPEG-4/H.264/WMV video playback with hardware acceleration

High level 3D games

Smart ADDsâ„¢

Downloadable screen 2D & 3D ‘skins’ for personalisation/market positioning

Bluetooth support for telephony (Headset/Handsfree), gaming, stereo headset (AV)

Carl Freer, co-founder and Chairman, Tiger Telematics, added; “The convergence technology category is similar to that of cell phones where a one-size-fits all approach does not work. Our long-term objective is to provide a range of entertainment and messaging devices that cater to different entertainment desires. Widescreen will favourably compare to Sony PSP but with even more power and features. Also, ensuring backwards compatibility and a clear upgrade path for future models is an integral part of our multi-product roadmap. A personal favourite feature is the TV/Video out connection which will enable you to play your favourite games on your TV, using the Gizmondo Widescreen like a console joypad.â€

The new widescreen model and its new features will be unveiled at January’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, giving attendees the chance to try the new hardware out first hand.

I'll get some pics for you... as much as I back Gizmondo and Tiger Telematics for certain reasons.... this is ugly

Are there actually going to be any games for it this time? They seem to think that copying the PSP will make people buy it, they've even copied the fishes on the screen off the concept photos of the PSP which had fishes on the screen!

Well I hope to be off to Giz HQ in a month or so, I'll see what I can find out... I'm bit pissed tbh, the Giz 1 was fine - and the games line up was rather good some great games to come... not sure if they'll ever come now. Would you buy a console if you knew the upgrade was around the corner?

Worst thing the Gizmondo V1 was meant to come out in the US next month there seem little point now!

that is one ugly console, 1st one was much nicer, shame it had no games, and no chance against Nintendo/Sony

*laughs himself silly*

Are Gizmondo not dead yet or they just very stupid?

I mean, nice try and all but it just aint gonna happen.

Who thought the PSP could look so ugly :wink: Seriousky, they are just conceeding defeat by releasing a new console so quickly. Hasn't Gizmondo only been out for a few months??

Dear god thats quite sickening. It looks like a diseased game gear. Jeeze, the thing has good functions, incredible power but a terrible battery life, crap design and no good games apart from a few PC ports it isn't doing any favours for itself.

What an ugly machine, shows there struggling bringing another version out so quickly, reminds me of the ngage.

It was rumoured and it has been revealed. I still haven't got my first Gizmondo yet!

lol who promised you the Gizmondo?

that look nasty :no: and is that wood on the face? :lmao: the back looks real good. they could sell just by showing the back :indeed:

Hm, this design is much better that the original. It looks a bit 'cheep plastic' like. Is it out yet?

gizmondo-console.jpg

it doesn't have anything to do with Nintendo and Sony, i predict only 3 o 5 months of life to that...

Nope but Microsoft backing them a bit with 5 games though this is thought to have risen to a much higher number :yes: ..

I'm just waiting for the new Halo rumours to start lol, though having said that its much more of a possibility than it being on the GizOne lol

It's not that bad looking. It looks like a mix between the gamegear and psp.

You gotta hand it to the company tho, they saw flaws and adressed it right away.

My prediction is Microsoft will buy this in a few years and release the Giz2. (3 if you want to count this upgraded one).