NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

Well it will either be VGA or DVI, I love it how Curry's are trying to keep it simple or whatever, by saying just PC as a connection type, when all it does is just cause confusion.

It's annoying when websites days that it has PC input.

Here say it doesn't have DVI input but has PC input...It explains next to it though that it's VGA.

Most HDTV's have VGA rather than DVI, generally speaking.

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but whats the best (in terms of picture quality) way to play my wii through my 22" pc monitor which has vga and dvi inputs? Could I simply buy a componet lead then plug that into a "Adapter DVI-I - 3 RCA YUV Plugs", is the rca yuv the same thing as comonent? or is it better to use a convertor transcoder and go from component to vga? Thanks in advance. :D

At first I was going to just connect my 360 to my PC monitor, using a VGA cable. However, after some thought, I've decided that a HDTV would be better in the long run. Plus my birthday is coming up, so I'll need something to spend my birthday money on. :p The problem is, there's so many HDTVs out there, that I have no clue on which one to choose.

I'd prefer if I could get a HDTV that does 1080p, is at least 32" and has decent SD output. Is it possible to get one with those specs at around (or under) £400? Or is that wishful thinking? :heh:

Oh, and sorry if this has been asked before, just I'm a n00b when it comes to HDTVs. Thanks if anyone can help! ^^

I'd prefer if I could get a HDTV that does 1080p, is at least 32" and has decent SD output. Is it possible to get one with those specs at around (or under) £400? Or is that wishful thinking? :heh:

Very wishfull thinking.

£400 gets you a middle-range 32" 720p set

£500-£600 gets you 37" screens and premium 32" screens (1080p24, 100Hz processing etc)

£600-£700 will net you a 37" plasma screen, best for SD viewing

...Thanks if anyone can help! ^^

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16686)32-AOC-LCD-TV-L32W551T-HD-Ready-Widescreen.aspx - includes various impressions/user comments.

These tv's are astoundingly good. After hearing nothing but great things about them from various sources, Moria (our resident forumite) also had one and so afer a small chat I got one and it is honestly amazing. We recently bought another one for the house too and really, again, perfect. Search around and you'll find nothing but praise. And I doubt you'll find these specs for anything less than £500 upwards.

Fabulous HDTV's (it says it only does 720p - Yet my mates 360 outputs at 1080i.) And it has all of the connections you'll need - component,HDMI, VGA, scart etc etc... (2yrs warranty as standard too)

Plus if you hunt around you'll get them for about £310 at the cheapest.

Thanks for the help folks, and cheers for that link tapedeck, that deal looks awesome!! ^^

Thanks for the help folks, and cheers for that link tapedeck, that deal looks awesome!! ^^

You wiould NOT be dissapointed if you were to get one. : peace:

I recently got a Panasonic 37px80 plasma....

It is fantastic! Can't go far wrong with it!

Awww crap. I've just realised that the AOC HDTV is now shown as "out of stock" on that website. I can't seem to find it anywhere else either, and AOC's site say that it's a phased out product. Looks like I won't be getting one after all. :(

It's a great TV. I've got the 27" version and love it. Don't have any complaints at all with it.

At first I was going to just connect my 360 to my PC monitor, using a VGA cable. However, after some thought, I've decided that a HDTV would be better in the long run. Plus my birthday is coming up, so I'll need something to spend my birthday money on. :p The problem is, there's so many HDTVs out there, that I have no clue on which one to choose.

Oh, and sorry if this has been asked before, just I'm a n00b when it comes to HDTVs. Thanks if anyone can help! ^^

try amazon.

My research has lead me to this... http://www.tvs2go.co.uk/products.asp?partno=TX-32LXD69A

I can't believe how stupidly low the price is! Though I'm sure there's a catch somewhere. Can anyone confirm wether this is a decent HDTV or not? Thanks again if anyone can help...

EDIT: I just thought. My 360 is a Core system that I bought back at launch. It's been repaired since, due to RROD, but I don't see a HDMI port on it. Will this be a huge problem, or does anyone recommend getting a new 360?

My research has lead me to this... http://www.tvs2go.co.uk/products.asp?partno=TX-32LXD69A

I can't believe how stupidly low the price is! Though I'm sure there's a catch somewhere. Can anyone confirm wether this is a decent HDTV or not? Thanks again if anyone can help...

EDIT: I just thought. My 360 is a Core system that I bought back at launch. It's been repaired since, due to RROD, but I don't see a HDMI port on it. Will this be a huge problem, or does anyone recommend getting a new 360?

It's the budget version of the Panasonic TX-LMD70, but still an incredible price! Only a single HDMI port though and the contrast ratio is a bit low. There's next to no information on the net about this specific set, or TVs2Go so you'd be taking a bit of a risk in buying it. If it pays off though you'll be well chuffed :)

No need to change your 360, just buy the component cables for it.

No need to change your 360, just buy the component cables for it.

Are you not better off connecting via VGA for the 360 that then leaves the component connection available for the Wii.

Depends on the TV, the majority of cheaper TVs don't scale images properly over VGA. You need a set that does 1:1 pixel mapping, otherwise you lose bits of the picture (because they are off screen) and the image looks rough (because the pixels sent by the 360 aren't lining up with those on screen).

Component always works ok, VGA is hit and miss.

Awww crap. I've just realised that the AOC HDTV is now shown as "out of stock" on that website. I can't seem to find it anywhere else either, and AOC's site say that it's a phased out product. Looks like I won't be getting one after all. :(

http://www.teleland.co.uk/item--AOC-32-LCD-HD-TV--AOCL32W551T.html

Think they have it.

http://www.intekx.com/ are REALLY amazing suppliers of AOC tv's. Have a gander, some great tv's on there.

need a little help, think it's the right thread I suppose. Sort of.

I have my 360 connected to my 19" tft via dvi, the image is great, but for that my pc is connected through VGA. Now, I was going to buy a switch but they're impossible to find in portugal and in ebay the postage is stupidly high. So, can anyone point me to a cheap DVI switch or should I just buy a VGA cable? If so, official or does a 3rd party one do the same job?

Cheers

Thanks again for the help everyone! ^^

EDIT: Sorry about this, but I've (yet again) changed my mind about what kind of HDTV I want. I'm deffinitely looking for a full 1080p TV, as I know I'll probably regret not getting one later. A mate of mine recommended LG as a good brand, and after some searching, I found this one;

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1031022585.1210248840@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadeedfefdffcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&category_oid=&sku=618075&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

I'm looking for a cheaper deal atm, but that's the best price a can find. However, the Dixons site labels it as a full 1080p HDTV, but other sites say it only does 720p. Does anyone know the true specs for this? Thanks again for any help...

£500-£600 gets you 37" screens and premium 32" screens (1080p24, 100Hz processing etc)

I paid £600 for my 42" HD 1080p TV on offer at argos :)

EDIT: Sorry about this, but I've (yet again) changed my mind about what kind of HDTV I want. I'm deffinitely looking for a full 1080p TV, as I know I'll probably regret not getting one later. A mate of mine recommended LG as a good brand, and after some searching, I found this one;

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1031022585.1210248840@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadeedfefdffcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&category_oid=&sku=618075&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

I'm looking for a cheaper deal atm, but that's the best price a can find. However, the Dixons site labels it as a full 1080p HDTV, but other sites say it only does 720p. Does anyone know the true specs for this? Thanks again for any help...

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_32lb75.jhtml#

well reading what it says on there site... im sure it says its 1080p via HDMI but not Component ?

Thats a bit off of Dixons, they don't actually tell you the resolution of the panel, just the number of pixels on the panel. It's 720p. The 1080p bit is just saying it will accept a 1080p signal (and downscales it to 720p).

This is (AFAIK) the only 1080p 32" on the market: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320400/Toshiba-Regza-32-32XV505DB-HD-1080p-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html

It's got cracking reviews and looks absolutely stunning when you actually see it (i took a trip to Currys to have a gander today and was very impressed). Having said that though there's no real reason to have 1080p on a 32". You'll only see benefit from it if you use it as a computer monitor or if you sit really close to the TV (less than 6 foot sort of close).

It's not worth the price. As McPhee said you don't really need 1080p and you could save near £200 by buying a 720p. If you are worried about the future then put that £200 in a bank account and buy a new one in the future.