NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

Yeah, mine is the same with my laptop (widescreen too). Interesting....Mine is the 27" one aswell. I've had a few mates round and they've been astounded by it and a couple have noted it and are gonna try to get one. I can't belieive the quality of it. I wasn't expecting the world!

Suppose this is the best place.

I want one of those fancy-pants DVD upscaller things but it needs a USB port too. Found this in Currys earlier, but seems average. Just wondering if anyone knows of any better.

Thanks.

Right. Ended up going for SAMSUNG LE32R87BDX which I got for £461. Should be here tomorrow.

If its crap you're banned Caris :p

Where from!? I was looking at Argos' purely for 10% discount. But that same model is £699

Right! I want a 26" (possibly 32") HDTV for my room, what with halo 3 coming oot. But i want a good one. Fist use is for my 360, i want it to look fantastic. Second, I'd like my Wii to look at least playable on it. I have £600, and i am not bothered about spending the full £600, so no cheap crap :) So if anyone here could recommend me a TV that fits the bill, I'll shower them with love. Virtual love.

Suppose this is the best place.

I want one of those fancy-pants DVD upscaller things but it needs a USB port too. Found this in Currys earlier, but seems average. Just wondering if anyone knows of any better.

Thanks.

Repeating that request.

Right! I want a 26" (possibly 32") HDTV for my room, what with halo 3 coming oot. But i want a good one. Fist use is for my 360, i want it to look fantastic. Second, I'd like my Wii to look at least playable on it. I have £600, and i am not bothered about spending the full £600, so no cheap crap :) So if anyone here could recommend me a TV that fits the bill, I'll shower them with love. Virtual love.

I would also like to know what people recommend for playing games on. I want my 360 to look the mutts nuts on it, I don't care about anything else.

I want something between 26" and 32". I'm guessing Samsung are the best seeing as MS use them for their instore 360 pods? (I think I noticed that Halo 3 does 1080 something - can't remember if p or i is better).

EDIT - Just checked...its 1080p.

I would also like to know what people recommend for playing games on. I want my 360 to look the mutts nuts on it, I don't care about anything else.

I want something between 26" and 32". I'm guessing Samsung are the best seeing as MS use them for their instore 360 pods? (I think I noticed that Halo 3 does 1080 something - can't remember if p or i is better).

EDIT - Just checked...its 1080p.

Just wondering if I could get some input on this please? :)

Ash you got a LE32R87BDX pretty cheap.

I got mine for £475 from my local Scottish Hydro Electric after i managed to knock the guy down from £750

Just a quick quality question.

As 1080p is 'the new black', I'm worried by SD signal as TV will be broadcasting in this for YEARS to come. Every time I've seen an HD ready set in a shop playing SD TV it look bloody awful (even worse on 1080 TV's). Is this just crap set ups in shops or a real problem?

I mean if you shove a low quality image on a computer screen to higher levels the same happens!

Just a quick quality question.

As 1080p is 'the new black', I'm worried by SD signal as TV will be broadcasting in this for YEARS to come. Every time I've seen an HD ready set in a shop playing SD TV it look bloody awful (even worse on 1080 TV's). Is this just crap set ups in shops or a real problem?

I mean if you shove a low quality image on a computer screen to higher levels the same happens!

I asked my friend who works in currys about this and because they have to split the signal across many TVs and in their particular case the shop is really really tall (as its on a retail park) the signal is deterriorated.

There is a noticable difference netween watching SD on HD and on an SD TV, but its not a bad difference I'd say. Just odd at first and then you get used to it.

I asked my friend who works in currys about this and because they have to split the signal across many TVs and in their particular case the shop is really really tall (as its on a retail park) the signal is deterriorated.

There is a noticable difference netween watching SD on HD and on an SD TV, but its not a bad difference I'd say. Just odd at first and then you get used to it.

But say I get a 1080p HDTV and SkyHD that only transmits in 720p (or 1080i) will the same thing happen?

Also my Wii being only 480p???

Is it worth it?

Yes, the same thing will happen.

Basically you have 1080p sources:

Blu Ray

HD DVD

PS3

720p Sources:

SkyHD

Xbox 360 (i know it can do 1080p, but most of the games are 720p)

BBC/ITV Freesat (not out for a while yet)

480p Sources:

Terrestrial TV

Freeview

Sky

Virgin

DVD

Wii

Go with what best fits you're needs. If you don't have any 1080p sources then theres no point owning a 1080p TV, they are more expensive and won't give as good a picture.

Right now 720p is the best resolution, it hits the happy middle ground. Most 480p sources upscale ok to it and the few 1080p sources that are around can all play in 720p. In the future 1080p might replace 720p, but then again it might not. It all depends on market support and whether or not the likes of Sky will launch a 1080p service (they might not, it's expensive to broadcast 720p as it is!)

I bet you all get sick of people requesting opinions on which HDTV to buy etc.

Well heres another guy who's a little lost at the moment.

I've been looking in currys for TVs with freeview, I wasn't really looking for HDready TVs, but it turned out that they seemed cheaper than their SDTV counterparts.

I saw this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0805023036.1191770866@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddmehkjhihcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=773207&fm=12&sm=0&tm=0

Does it seem good? £280 pounds is really the most I'm willing to spend on a TV. Maybe 300.

Are there any TVs around the same price but maybe bigger?

These are the only restrictions:

Must have Freeview and under 300 quid.

Thanks

I really don't understand people saying that SD stuff looks poor on HDTVs. I can't see any difference, if anything mine is better now. Maybe it's just a better reception though. But then again, I don't see a difference in the Wii either. Admittedly I hooked up my SNES the other day and that was quite poor.

I bet you all get sick of people requesting opinions on which HDTV to buy etc.

Well heres another guy who's a little lost at the moment.

I've been looking in currys for TVs with freeview, I wasn't really looking for HDready TVs, but it turned out that they seemed cheaper than their SDTV counterparts.

I saw this:

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0805023036.1191770866@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddmehkjhihcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=773207&fm=12&sm=0&tm=0

Does it seem good? £280 pounds is really the most I'm willing to spend on a TV. Maybe 300.

Are there any TVs around the same price but maybe bigger?

These are the only restrictions:

Must have Freeview and under 300 quid.

Thanks

The Contrast Ratio is 500 : 1 which is rediculiously low... you couldnt play dark games on it at all.

this one would be much better http://digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=11430

But say I get a 1080p HDTV and SkyHD that only transmits in 720p (or 1080i) will the same thing happen?

Also my Wii being only 480p???

Is it worth it?

Wii can do 720.

Not that it helps much with your original question but I still say it looks different at first, but you get used to it. To me personally it doesn't appear overstretched or anything (although I don't have 1080p...)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?page=Product&source_id=aw&sku=669710&camp_id=Which%20Ferry&source_id=aw&camp_id=Which%20Ferry

I have this TV, and on this website, and on other websites, it says it has dolby virtual built in to it. I've never seen a dolby option before on this, and I've looked loads. :s Any ideas guys?

The wii can only do 480p...

Actually, no, it can do any HD resolution, it's just that if it did, the games would run at around 1fps.

So what does everyone think about this one?

Looks pretty good to me.

It's good, but not as good as it's competition. It's basically a stripped down M series to the point where it isn't an M series at all. Think of it as the R87 with 100Hz technology.

At that price i'd look at the Sharp RD2E, Sony KDL-D3000 or Panasonic LXD70. Those are the 3 best 32" sets out there. My money would go on the Sharp, the Panny is great but for £600 it looks like a piece of junk (i've seen better looking Bush sets) and the Sony is a little too expensive (best price around seems to be £610, typical £699)