NEurope
solitanze

Most Overrated Game Series?

What Do You Believe To Be The MOST OVERRATED GAMING SERIES To Date?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Believe To Be The MOST OVERRATED GAMING SERIES To Date?

• Final Fantasy
    • Gran Turismo
    • Grand Theft Auto
    • Halo
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Pokemon
    • Super Mario Bros
    • Resident Evil (Biohazard)
    • The Legend Of Zelda
    • None. Quit Wasting Space & Time On This Board!

It's god damn smooth. The only thing I could ever see getting tedious to anyone about it is the cutscenes (I enjoy them; extremely well scripted and directed), and if you're buying it for the story... you can actually complain about it?

no i love the story, the actual gameplay bits inbetween annoy me sometimes-its more over rated than other games above like Mario, Pokemon or Zelda. those games hook me for hours upon hours of blissfull gameplay, MGS is like a decent film but the gameplay just doesn't grab me.

maybe i'm not 'getting it' or something, i shall try to see what everyone else does in this series soon.

no i love the story, the actual gameplay bits inbetween annoy me sometimes-its more over rated than other games above like Mario, Pokemon or Zelda. those games hook me for hours upon hours of blissfull gameplay, MGS is like a decent film but the gameplay just doesn't grab me.

maybe i'm not 'getting it' or something, i shall try to see what everyone else does in this series soon.

You are "getting it". You are trying to be brainwashed into believing a series is better than it actually is. Your initial judgement of the series being overrated remains to be correct.

But what is actually bad about the gameplay?

Nothing is bad about the gameplay, I think what he's trying to say is there's nothing special about it.

I think it's pretty special; the realism and interactivity with the surroundings, yet it still manages to be so easy to play... there's not really anything else like it.

A lot of you just slag off game series because you don't like them yourselves. Everyone's opinion is different. I personally think GT and Resi Evil are shit. but I can see why people like them. Some of you need to broaden your mind and not look at things with a predetermined opinion or hate it just because of the people that play it (e.g. a lot of chavs play GTA but that doesn't make it a bad game).

Mitsurugi. Hehe, bens main character. I give him such a whupping :laughing:. I like Soul Calibur because it plays so differently to Tekken and Street Fighter, you have to block and then rush in with a totally relentless attack. With tekken and street fighter, you just have to dance around outside your opponents range and hope they make a mistake.

I agree with you buddy but i recall beating you the last mitsurugi vs nightmare round, you are nolonger unbeatable :p

A lot of you just slag off game series because you don't like them yourselves. Everyone's opinion is different. I personally think GT and Resi Evil are shit. but I can see why people like them. Some of you need to broaden your mind and not look at things with a predetermined opinion or hate it just because of the people that play it (e.g. a lot of chavs play GTA but that doesn't make it a bad game).

chavs play GTA?? Aw shucks that means i cant play it anymore otherwise ill be a chav:cry:

Bollocks!

Waverace, Timesplitters, Soul Calibur, Day of Reckoning, Ikaruga, F-Zero...man, and thats just off the top of my head. GC kicked ass for multiplayer.

Yeah but smash is the only real competitive one in multiplayer that requires alot of skill and mindgames (like most 2d fighters actually).

People just seem to hate games which are just really popular with the mainstream/casual crowd, like GTA, when really they are brilliant games.

Although when I think of why people like GT I think: "because it has looads of cars and licenses". Apart from that it has mesmerisingly boring gameplay.

I wonder what the results universally will be on this particular poll should it be released with more franchises and be released on a general gaming site with no company biases whatsoever...

gameplay? perfect? whatever.

i find it boring and tedious, just like every other stealth game ever made.

the story is the only thing that made me buy the series at all.

MGS is fantastic, but the gameplay is not perfect.

Yeah but smash is the only real competitive one in multiplayer that requires alot of skill and mindgames (like most 2d fighters actually).

Well, you would say that, you're awesome at it. Soul Calibur is quite competitive, as is F-zero.

I'm surprised anyone voted for Mario Bros. I personally love most of the games on that list, with the exception of GT and GTA. I think both of those seriesappeal far more to casual gamers and have never appealed to me.

I don;t doubt that they're decent games, I just don;t think they should be held up with the likes of Mario, Zelda, FF, RE and MGS.

I'm rather suprised by the huge quantity of votes for GTA. I don't believe it to be overrated at all. Level of freedom and ability to do as you please is virtually unparallelled. Very few people would be voting for it, had these games been featured on Nintendo systems. The dreams there, and almost all of us here would most certainly appreciate an official installment on Nintendo Wii.

I'm rather suprised by the huge quantity of votes for GTA. I don't believe it to be overrated at all. Level of freedom and ability to do as you please is virtually unparallelled. Very few people would be voting for it, had these games been featured on Nintendo systems. The dreams there, and almost all of us here would most certainly appreciate an official installment on Nintendo Wii.

I see your point. However I love Halo and MGS. I'll be honest, I haven't played GTA, it really really doesn't appeal to me at all.

Originally Posted by solitanze

Nothing is bad about the gameplay, I think what he's trying to say is there's nothing special about it.

I feel the same way about MarioKart...(in all its forms)

Everyone says its so "AWESOME".... neh...I can live without it

I'd pick a F-Zero, Final Fantasy, Zelda, MGS or GTA any day.

Anyway back on topic....

I'd pick Pokemon... because I just "DONT GET IT"

After that its easily Gran Turismo..I so hate it's controls...

Halo, I've never seen so many repeating corridors since Metroid 1!

I loved Halo, I loved it sooo much... until the Library, that just sucked the life out of me, damn it was boring. It felt like a never ending ordeal.

officialy the most over rated is tomb raider because of nerds fetsish with lara craft.The games were never brilliant in all fairness

i totally agree.They are called blind fanboys.I like gta.Not reall san andreas but gta 3 and vice city were awsome.it's not over rated.When has it ever scored badly?

..I went with Gran Turismo.. sure, there are a lot of options, cars and races to test yourself on.. but where's the excitement..?

..it's no F-Zero :heh:

Indeed. Also Final Fantasy. Two of the most overrated series of all time, in my opinion. But if I were to choose one, it'd definitely be Final Fantasy, especially Final Fantasy 7. That game encapsulates the term overrated.

I am certain you're opinion would be different had these games been Nintendo exclusive franchises and not Sony franchises.

Lmao, he quoted and then disagreed with himself, that's just sad.