NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KingOfHyrule

I'll go against logic with this one

Nobody is saying that though.

Exactly no one has said that.

The point is that Nintendo didnt make the Wii have HD visuals because

1. They have looked at the success of the underpowered DS against graphics intense PSP

2. They realised that if they have a new controler and HD visuals the price of the Wii will be more expencive than the competition

Thats it basicly... and it seems to have been a smart move on there part... so far.. but who knows about the long run? we will have to wait and see.

I think HD plus the controls would have really, really ended up with us having to pay a hefty price.

Fact is, they wanted a cheaper system with something innovative/different to appeal to consumers. The PS3 has some lovely looking games, but just look at the price. Plus, then you've got things such as development costs to look at.

The graphics argument doesn't really wash with me. Is that really next-generation? What's going to happen once we get photo-realism, what will then be the next generation after that? Motion sensing? Whats the point if you can attempt that stuff now? (and at an affordable price)

What matters most is content. At the moment, thats what Wii owners should be worried about. Not the games looking amazing, but just being the best that they can be. I think Wii Sports has some amazing content, its got some depth, but newbies can play it too, making it all worthwhile. Look at the new Star Wars films. Episode 1,2 and 3 are fantastic looking. Look at Yoda, he is much more kickass than the Yoda in the old trilogy. He's now CGIed. Does that mean the overall films are better?

Can you honestly say you prefer the new trilogy over the old?

Would HD visuals really make a difference if gamers prefer OoT over TP? No. Because the problem isn't with the way it looks.

RE: The price of the PS3... let's say £400 in the UK. It's all well and good saying that having HD graphics on the Wii would have bumped up the price to PS3 levels but of those £400, AT LEAST £150 is for the Blueray drive (which costs £600+ standalone), you're left with £250.

And it doesn't have to be quite as jaw dropping as the PS3, would you mind spending an extra £50 and have HD gaming with amazing visuals? Doubt it.

RE: The price of the PS3... let's say £400 in the UK. It's all well and good saying that having HD graphics on the Wii would have bumped up the price to PS3 levels but of those £400, AT LEAST £150 is for the Blueray drive (which costs £600+ standalone), you're left with £250.

And it doesn't have to be quite as jaw dropping as the PS3, would you mind spending an extra £50 and have HD gaming with amazing visuals? Doubt it.

Its not us gamers youve got to worry about... Nintendo are after everyone and as soon as you hit say £200 and above your alienating alot of people.

Both but just think if they went with just core and had HD visuals and the new control scheme ... new gamers would have been interested but most likely wouldnt have brought one because of price.

Either way HD graphics or just normal graphics Nintendo are bound to lose out on some people... because you cant please everyone.

The real question is will they sell more Wii's with the graphics it has now at £180 or would they have sold more at say £250 to £300ish with HD graphics.

Personaly i think Nintendo have chosen the right path but only time will tell.

So Nintendo prefer to cater to non-gamers than its core audience?

Non-gamers ARE their core audience and have been for about a year now

So Nintendo prefer to cater to non-gamers than its core audience?

Not as such. They're trying to cater for their core audience as well as aiming to bring in the non-gamers, too. At the end of the day, they want to get as many people gaming as possible. Whether thats 10 mins a day on WiiSports with your mother, 5 minutes brain training a day, or 2 hours worth of Zelda in solitude. There's no reason why they can't cater for both the core audience and non-gamers in terms of games.

However, its common sense that the lower the price, the higher the chance that people will be able to afford it. Think about the price of the Wii compared to the PS3, its pretty much half the price. When you think that we're talking about games consoles here, that is absolutely crazy. I still find it crazy.

Doesn't that make us loyal Nintendo fans feel great?

However I see the point that they're trying to cater to both, but surely making SOME progress in the graphics sense would have been good?? I'm not talking about HD now, just any improvement over the Gamecube!

Their core audience is now Everyone.. Its not easy to satisfy everyone but thats what they are aiming to do.

Doesn't that make us loyal Nintendo fans feel great?

However I see the point that they're trying to cater to both, but surely making SOME progress in the graphics sense would have been good?? I'm not talking about HD now, just any improvement over the Gamecube!

Oish. There is improvement over the damned gamecube...you're a broken record I swear

I read the first post, and I'd like to say that many, myself included, when first seeing the DS had thoughts of "it's just going to be a gimmick" spring into my mind. However, look at the DS now. Just keep the faith :)

However, that said, I am yet to buy the Wii, due to the fact that so far there have been no deal breaker games (I got Zelda on the Gamecube).

Although I'm sure Smash Bros, and Super Mario Galaxy will be enough to make me, and many others, buy a Wii. On that note, is Smash Bros still on for a Spring release? I hear that Galaxy has been delayed till Christmas ;(

I read the first post, and I'd like to say that many, myself included, when first seeing the DS had thoughts of "it's just going to be a gimmick" spring into my mind. However, look at the DS now. Just keep the faith :)

However, that said, I am yet to buy the Wii, due to the fact that so far there have been no deal breaker games (I got Zelda on the Gamecube).

Although I'm sure Smash Bros, and Super Mario Galaxy will be enough to make me, and many others, buy a Wii. On that note, is Smash Bros still on for a Spring release? I hear that Galaxy has been delayed till Christmas ;(

Yes, sadly I haven't picked up a Wii yet for that reason. I just don't feel it has anything yet that warrants it's purchase. I have Zelda on the 'Cube. I think the first title I'll NEED on the Wii will be Metroid.

With the DS, there weren't any must have titles at the start of its life. But, that can all change. I think the Wii is kinda the same. Having Zelda at launch was immense, imo. I personally still plan to purchase Red Steel and Rayman, so I'll look at them before I go after new titles.

Oish. There is improvement over the damned gamecube...you're a broken record I swear

Ever heard the term 'opinion'? And in respsonse to your comment... Is there?? You sure cause I don't think so.

Compare the visuals in Starfox Adventures to Rayman.

Monkey Ball looks identical.

On a side note, I wonder how not having Zelda for the Wii would have affected sales. They probably knew Mario wasn't going to be ready on time, and hence why they delayed it a year.

All 3 systems have yet to prove themselves.

Looking at the future, it is the same as always. 95% of all the games i buy for the Wii are Nintendo games, and all the other proper non Nintendo games on the other systems.

The DS is selling a lot because of games like Brain Training and Nintendogs. These are games that gamers do not care about. The Wii will do the same. games like Wii sports and Brain Age, and Nintendogs wii will be what makes the Wii sell a lot.

Like the general public actually care about proper games.

At the end of the day, Nintendo saw that the DS printed money with the non-games, this will be translated to the Wii.

Die hard Nintendo fans wont care, because they will only get a Wii. Non Nintendo fans wont care, because they know they are smart enough to buy the other 2 consoles.

The DS is an awesome console, because its a handheld, meaning it doesnt need console graphics, and secondly, 3rd parties are fully supporting it. Capcom and Konami especially. <3

It's simple as this. Don't go to Nintendo for the core games anymore.

Thank you and good night.

Ever heard the term 'opinion'? And in respsonse to your comment... Is there?? You sure cause I don't think so.

Compare the visuals in Starfox Adventures to Rayman.

Monkey Ball looks identical.

On a side note, I wonder how not having Zelda for the Wii would have affected sales. They probably knew Mario wasn't going to be ready on time, and hence why they delayed it a year.

You can't blame Nintendo for lazy developers releasing games with poor graphics!

Look at Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy (especially), none of those games are finished but are already better than any Gamecube game!

Meh, Nintendo still seem to be supplying for their Hardcore audience, the 3rd parties though are just making either sloppy ports or odd, quircky, new games.

I may get a 360 though if Nintendo don't satisfy their Hardcore audience, some of it's games look mighty tasty, but I'm undecided for now.

I guess we're gonna have to wait a while until Nintendo reveal some of their 2nd/3rd generation Wii titles, but does that mean we have to wait till October for E for All?

P.S. Laguna's sig pwns.

But if developers already put in the effort into making jaw dropping visuals for games like Need for Speed, Rayman for 360/PS3, then there'd be no need to put much effort into making them look for the Wii... the only reason they don't is because that's all the system can handle surely?

I take your point about Metroid... and Mario Galaxy does looks very nice but hardly that huge a step up from Sunshine? If at all?

Developers are doing it because it's easier to port shitty PS2/Xbox engines than start from scratch!

After time, once developers are used to the controllers and the best way to implement them into the games (cause thats what most are focusing on at the moment) then we will see more games built from the ground up that will try and push the hardware in terms of graphics - just be patient, it's been out for a month for christ sake!

... the only reason they don't is because that's all the system can handle surely?

Yes that is your opinion but fact is Nintendo did state it would be twice the power of the cube

Ok well we have to believe what Nintendo says then. Twice the power of the gamecube it is.

Ok well we have to believe what Nintendo says then. Twice the power of the gamecube it is.

Well it's a lot better than believing your opinion, always negative which i see every time i scan these forums.

Yes your entitled to your opinion but i think we've all heard it by now

But if developers already put in the effort into making jaw dropping visuals for games like Need for Speed, Rayman for 360/PS3, then there'd be no need to put much effort into making them look for the Wii... the only reason they don't is because that's all the system can handle surely?

I would'nt think that is the case at all....

A systems true full potential is never used these days, the devs limit themselves to what is immediatley achievable as opposed to what is possibly achievable.....Go back to days of old with games like DKC. Now the devs hit a brick wall and dont attempt to think out of the box for whatever reason (dev time / research costs / improvement of dev system).

Gone are the days of system mastery. Sad but true.

As to the costing of PS3 vs Wii...Sony are losing a giant slice of money on each unit sold and people are still going to pay through the nose for it. I wouldnt have minded paying the extra for the Wii to include HD visuals, but I do not think it would have ultimately made for a better game. I would prefer to see the system sell plenty at a low price and not end up removed from most shops shelves as the GC did.

Well it's a lot better than believing your opinion, always negative which i see every time i scan these forums.

Yes your entitled to your opinion but i think we've all heard it by now

Glad you like

Sign in to follow this