NEurope
Myke Greywolf

New Wii Firmware version available: V2.1E

According to IGN, this update serves mainly as an update for the parental control, and fixes the exploit that allowed European games to be downloaded on Australian/New Zealandish Wiis.

But a firmware is extremely hard to explain. My nephew had trouble pinpointing it oo, but he could asure me it isn't an OS. The best way to view a firmware is a driver - that's what he said. but not literally. it's not a BIOS at all. A BIOS is a BIOS, a firmware is different from that. It's extremely hard to define, but it isn't a BIOS or and OS. It's sort-of-a driver.

Maybe I should just let this one go, and ask you to look up Firmware in Wikipedia.

Bottom line, Firmware is a method of storing programs, machine readable code, operating instructions, whatever you want to call the 0s and 1s that computers read. Therefore firmware can technicaly hold any sort of program. In Windows PCs it's the BIOS, on the Xbox360 it's the Dashboard + Drivers. On the Wii, it's the OS (whatever it is officially called) and the drivers.

So after the updated firmware, does it still allow changing of the country setting and purchase cheaper wii points?? Then changing it back to purchase your own country vc games?

No - that's what the updates stops you from doing. You can still change your country code (how do you do that, anyway), but the system will lose it's points if you do that. That's what it states, though.

i think i just noticed something, i was messing in the Wii setting, and for some reason went to the interent setting, you can now use WPA keys for security.

Before wasn't it only WEP keys?

or was it always the two?

i think i just noticed something, i was messing in the Wii setting, and for some reason went to the interent setting, you can now use WPA keys for security.

Before wasn't it only WEP keys?

or was it always the two?

Always been there.

Does this update permanently damage your Wii console?

Nope, I have updated and my Wii still runs fine.