NEurope
Myke Greywolf

New Wii Firmware version available: V2.1E

A new version of the Wii firmware was made available today - version 2.1E. Just go to your Wii Settings and choose "Wii System Update" on the third page.

I didn't notice anything different after the update. Did you?

http://wii.qj.net/Wii-patch-update-for-PAL-regions/pg/49/aid/78818

Wii patch update for PAL regions

Posted Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29AM by Tim Y. Listed in: News Tags: Europe, Australia

Just a quick heads-up for Wii owners. Keep a lookout for the next patch update for your Wii when you go online, which converts your console from version 2.0 to 2.1. The patch is indicated to be meant for PAL Wiis, meaning it will affect guys over in Europe and Australia (to name a few).

And while Nintendo had yet to say what the updates do, one blogger over at GoNintendo noticed these two specific tweaks to his system:

* The weather channel says that it needs connect 24/7 after I only disabled ’standby internet’.

* The video output stays on with RGB cables in ‘orange mode’. This means that any other signal on de video channel(s) on the TV are suppressed.

On a further note, we advise the concerned owners to keep a lookout for Virtual Console and Wii Channels - as these might experience further changes. Hopefully, it might make for more accurate forecasting...

Think I'll hold back on this update seeing as there's no noticible changes in case it's just to block tinkering about with things what should not be tinkered with.

I'm all for updates. After all it's not like they release these updates just for the hell of it.......is it? :hmm:

I'm all for updates. After all it's not like they release these updates just for the hell of it.......is it? :hmm:

they probally found a secrity hole and released a patch for it. same thing sony do with the psp.

* The video output stays on with RGB cables in ‘orange mode’. This means that any other signal on de video channel(s) on the TV are suppressed.

That could've been quite an annoying problem for me but I unplug my Wii when I want to use something else anyway. Don't quite understand why they've done that though.

they probally found a secrity hole and released a patch for it. same thing sony do with the psp.

PSP ones at the start were for security, then anti-piracy, and now for new features (like the downloadable ps1 games from ps3).

That means these ones will probably be for security, but I'm not gonna update untill they have something actually worth it, like the news channel. I'd regret it if and when homebrew etc. came out on it.

Someone update then check their Freeloader, it might work...
That seems so unlikely, I'm not even gonna try :heh:

Why does it keep saying "parental controls now available" every time I update my wii?

It must be something important since the minor version number changed. There were updates before that didn't change the version number.

I didn't notice anything diferent. Super Mario Bros still runs like shit on my tv :)

When are we going to get substantial upgrades with quicker loading times and overhauled Mii mode? Ever?

When are we going to get substantial upgrades with quicker loading times and overhauled Mii mode? Ever?

Calm down, it's only the first proper upgrade.

You can probably expect things like that from v3.0

Calm down, it's only the first proper upgrade.

Well I guess in the context of things, its only been out for a month... This console has 3 years shelf life approximately right so we should see a substantial firmware upgrade within 36 months or so...

Well I guess in the context of things, its only been out for a month... This console has 3 years shelf life approximately right so we should see a substantial firmware upgrade within 36 months or so...

3 years...? Huh, I was banking on at least 5. Damn.

I thought maybe it would fix one small problem i noticed, in that if you turn on the Parental Control, and DON'T restrict the Internet Channel it IS STILL restricted, but that still happens after the update.

And another thing,

Why the hell do we have to manually update it?

Isn't that meant to be what the whole WiiConnect24 shabang was for.

And anyone know when that News Channel is meant to go live?

Oh and another thing i've been wondering, what is the point of the "Console Nickname" feature, does it do anything, is the name meant to appear anywhere?

The 27th of January.

Oh and another thing i've been wondering, what is the point of the "Console Nickname" feature, does it do anything, is the name meant to appear anywhere?

It just to give your console a nickname.

Don't take me the wrong way, I don't mean any harm, but I think what you should be asking is what's the point with the news channel, in stead of eagerly awaiting for it... Honestly, I don't understand why people are so eagerly awaiting this, as they were for the Weather one... Don't your hometowns have newspapers? Or news broadcasts on the TV? Or better yet, if you have the internet to update the Wii, you have internet to browse news and weather forcasts, I presume...

Why is it that suddenly people "need" the Wii for these trivial things that they already have?

I distinctly remember Nintendo fans (in which I am included) saying, a few years back, that what matters are the games, in response to Sony's and MS's machines multimedia capacities. So why are Nintendo fans suddenly "whoring" over news and weather?? Shouldn't we (yes, we, the Nintendo fans) be whoring over Zelda and all the other magnificent games Nintendo give (sell) us?

You want weather, here's one of the sites I have in my favourites:

http://www.accuweather.com

Just choose your city and country and you're good for it. :)