NEurope
david.dakota

F-Zero Wii (speculative)

Last night I popped in F-Zero GX for a quickie, and started thinking of the next installment which will likely be on Wii.

I understand that Miyamoto has indicated that any F-Zero update would be developed with the Classic Conroller in mind. But thats not, in my opinion, the most immersive way to update the franchise. So, here's my idea:

Taking Two Remotes, one for each hand, steering/speed is now directly controlled by lifting and lowering the Wimote. Left remote is your left thruster, right is (rather obviously) your right thruster. The lower the Wiimote, the more power is routed to left/right engine. However, simply holding the remote lower won't do - you'll overheat and your machine will shut off for repairs (leaving you gliding for a few seconds) - ie, the a low Remote is effectively your Boost.

Your engine requires power and therefore you must hold A on both Wiimotes. Taking your finger off A routes power to left/right Shields (meaning you can minimise damage). Attacks require you to hit into your opponent whilst holding B.

Pushing your left Wiimote down causes your left engine to power up, making you turn RIGHT and vice versa (perhaps this could be swapped in the options menu also).

Maximum local players therefore becomes 2, however, praise be 30 online opponents, with World Ranking, Continental and Country Rankings also. The option to add Rivals is also present.

OK, so my idea is not one for casual gamers, certainly a hardcore game. But i feels its immersive and of course uses the Wiimote effectively.

Most people wouldn't touch it if it worked like that, I know I wouldn't bother.

F Zero is a game that's always been easy to pick up but hard to master, you take away the easy to learn aspect of it and you take away most of it's appeal.

Alternate control schemes are the only way you'll get a control scheme that complex, and even then it would probably done using the nunchuk and not an extra controller.

Personally if it has the regular control system and a decent online mode I'll be more than happy.

Let's put it this way, if they use anything other than an analogue stick on a classic style controller to steer- I will not buy it.

F-Zero is not Mario Kart or Excite Truck. They cannot get away with dishing out shit for what appears to be their only hardcore racer on the system.

Test Drive unlimited shows what is possible online.

Mario Kart DS shows what is not possible online.

Speed > Number of racers.

8 would be a sweet spot for me.

It aint Pod Racing dude!

I think it would be best to use classic controller, or even GC controller. Just make it faster and better graphics.

F-Zero needs online. Simple as.

Downloadable tracks, machines, ghosts, challenges and maybe even whole cups.

Community should then follow. Let people upload their best ghosts, have online modes, leader boards, etc.

Community should then follow. Let people upload their best ghosts, have online modes, leader boards, etc.

By 2010, there should be at least one online Wii game.

I'd like it to have the death match mode from F-Zero X on the N64. I am a huge F-Zero fan and have never destroyed another vehicle in F-Zero GX, depsite those crappy attacks. I loved destroying vehicles in F-Zero X, by just smashing into them and getting their energy down!

Wouldn't it be easiest to use the remote and nunchuk? Pressing A for gas is not what I! emant, but maybe tilting the cotnroller forward would. You still; use the control stick to master the wheel and you attack using B (like in zselda). there are buttons enough on it to make it easy to play, and hard to master. They will figure it out, though I doubt a lot of games - non VC, that is - will use the classic controller. It's an extra price and it may stop you from buying a game...

30 people on 1 track so it would be a real race! (in slichtly polished F-Zero X Grafics)

Yeah it would be so amazing. I don't see why it can't be done.

And yes! Bring back the Attack mode that was in the N64 version! I loved it!

Put it online and i'm interested. Infact, i'd be interested even if it wasn't an online game, but it would need to use analogue control. I don't think it would work otherwise.

Infact, i'd be interested even if it wasn't an online game.

Do please shut up. You'll ruin it for the rest of us if Nintendo hears people saying such ridiculous things.

Just look what Mario Kart DS did for the Nintendo DS- Nintendo could have easily released it as single player but instead due to pressure from reviewers they rushed it out for Christmas making it a much better game.

Of course it would be good enough offline, but online is the natural evolution for this. Like you've all said, get thirty of us playing together at once and its gonna be a winner.

Im not sure about your control idea though davidredge, like Solo cited, its not Podracing and thats what I immediately thought of too when reading your description. Although, I think it'll be a pity if they stick with the old skool classic set up, its likely the best way to go for now - maybe something like ExciteTruck/ Charge on Wii Play could be done?

Ooh, and get the Track Editor in.

Double ooh, get some F-Zero X style guitar music back in it, too. :hehe:

I'd like the thing to use the Wiimote for control, and have classic control as an option. Steer with the Wiimote, B to boost, 1 to acclerate, 2 to brake, the control pad to attack in various directions and the A button for whatever i've forgotten.

I want the custom build system from GX as well, but also go further with the looks, make it fully customisable.

Also, anyone reckon a track editor/build mode would be cool.

F-Zero X was delivered to my door this morning from Amazon £6.98 delivered.. box and manual.. perfect condition, it's fantastic..

As for F-Zero Wii.. 30 players online would be incredible!

Not too sure what controls you could have though, maybe steering with the analogue stick.. flicking the remote hard to the left or right to attack.. maybe press a button in and flick it to do spin attack?

But then how would leaning/ drifting work? Maybe pressing a button (C?) and tilting the nunchuk whilst steering..

..hmmm...

Can't see how the F-Zero controls wouldn't fit the Wiimote. Steering is ExciteTruck, 1 is braking, 2 accelerating, A is boosting, D-pad is that sideways sliding move that is in each F-Zero, and you could shake the Wiimote for the attack. Seems to cover all the controls in a much more intuitive way.

And then there's online, and improved graphics (even more effects than in GX). Can't wait really.

No question online is a must. Traditional controls will only do, even if they only map it to the nunchuk+remote.

And seeing how great the graphics were on gamecube, I can't wait to see how good this will look on wii.

I'd like it to have the death match mode from F-Zero X on the N64. I am a huge F-Zero fan and have never destroyed another vehicle in F-Zero GX, depsite those crappy attacks. I loved destroying vehicles in F-Zero X, by just smashing into them and getting their energy down!

I partly feel the same. F-Zero GX was an amazing racer but it lacked the extra spice that came from attacking other racers and gaining energy from it. There were times though in F-Zero GX when the only way to win overall was to take out a particular vehicle, which was very rewarding when a success.

I certainly hope Nintendo doesn't change the basic formula for F-Zero for the sake of a Wii controller novelty: it is one of my true favorite games! Online racing, X-Cup (as in N64), ability to build own tracks and share them online, exchanging ghosts, that sort of things would be welcome. Take the best from the previous versions, improve the graphics, offer plenty of tracks, story mode (as in GX), have online leaderboards... That sort of things.

I partly feel the same. F-Zero GX was an amazing racer but it lacked the extra spice that came from attacking other racers and gaining energy from it. There were times though in F-Zero GX when the only way to win overall was to take out a particular vehicle, which was very rewarding when a success.

I certainly hope Nintendo doesn't change the basic formula for F-Zero for the sake of a Wii controller novelty: it is one of my true favorite games! Online racing, X-Cup (as in N64), ability to build own tracks and share them online, exchanging ghosts, that sort of things would be welcome. Take the best from the previous versions, improve the graphics, offer plenty of tracks, story mode (as in GX), have online leaderboards... That sort of things.

You could take other machines out of the race in GX. It was just the same as X.

What I would like control-wise:

Nunchuck:

Analogue stick: Steer

Z: Left Airbrake

C:

Pull Back: Left Airbrake (optional)

Remote:

A: Accelerate

B: Right Airbrake

D-Pad Left/Right: Side-Dash Attack (thing)

D-Pad Up/Down: Spin Attack

1: Change camera (closer)

2: Change camera (further)

Pull Back: Right Airbrake (Optional)

Of course, GameCube controller as an option would be nice too. (and classic controller)

Single Player: Cups, Story, Death Race, Practice, Quick Race, Time-Trail, Death Race

Multiplayer: Vs (plus bots to make up to 30 racers in total), Death Race, Co-op Cup

Online: Not that bothered. Something like MKDS will be fine.

I can see it working like Excitetruck, but if they have lots of different control schemes the better.

I thought Amusement Vision did a really good job with F-Zero GX/AX. Some of the tracks in the AX cup were breath taking. It will be good if they're developing a sequel. The story mode was a nice touch.