NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mokong

What Defines Nintendo To You? (Podcast Hot Topic)

N-Europe Show #18 is up and live. You can download it HERE

So it's time for another Hot Topic for you to take part in.

In #18 we talked about some of our most treasured Nintendo memories.

So now we ask you what are yours?

The Wii is Nintendo's 5th console, and we'd put good money that most of you reading this have owned all 5, so what keeps you coming back and what are your favourite games on each of the home consoles?

Own all 5 Nintendo consoles, the main thing that keeps me coming back are the game series I love so much.

Zelda - played and beaten every game - best game series ever created.

Mario - again, played all the traditional Mario games - a close second.

Not to mention gems like Mario Kart, Pilotwings, GoldenEye, Starfox. It's really that magic feeling that you don't get with other consoles that keeps bringing me back, that and the innovation factor.

Most tresured Nintendo memories:

- Playing Super Mario World for the first time and stepping out onto Donut Plains.

- Playing two player Super Mario Kart with my older brother and getting thumped pretty much every time.

- Getting Lylat Wars for xmas and falling in love with the Starfox series.

- Learning a new Ocarina song in OOT.

and the most recent:

- Making my first serve ever in Wii Sports: Tennis.

Quality. It all comes down to that. You may play good games made by other companies, but almost all of them seem to lack that polish, that magic that Nintendo games have. Also, they don't stand on their butts they actually make games different every time and manage to surprise us (Wii and DS). That's why Nintendo is no1 to me.

I agree with the above. Nintendo are all about the way they seem to keep improving on what they've done in the past but still retaining that Nintendo feel.

We all know about Mario games, he's been with us forever so he's instantly recognisable but what about Pikmin? Its the new kat on the block, but the thing is, if you had no idea who it was made by until you first read about it or watched a video, you'd be inclined to guess it was a Nintendo game. Its the way they fill their games full of charm and character.

And being different too. I suppose the Wii and DS are the ultimate departures so far from what we expect games to be, it makes you wonder what will happen on down the line. What you can be sure of though is that there will always be nods to the past, be it a remixed tune or just a little Easter Egg of some sort, it always brings a smile to our faces when we find something that Nintendo put there just for us.

I could go on a brave bit more, but yeah, I like that idea that even though playing Nintendo games is the only way we really know the company, its that nice warm spark they put in their games that keeps us coming back and somehow makes the whole experience more personal. If you know what I mean?

It's the Nintendo Difference. You don't know why it is so, and you certainly can't pin it down. It''s just the whole package. We aall know gaaming would have died without Nitnendo. And it was dying again, and Nintendo stepped in again. It's the magic from opening thee box for the first time untill finishing the game. It's what makes you feel good when you've got a new item. it's rewarding. And rewards, that's what a Nintendo feels about. If you play your Wii, you feel rewarded for buying the console. If you play Zelda, you'll be rewarded for the hardest puzzles. It's about the reward you get, and i'm sure of it.

The most magical moment is probably finishing Ocarina of Time for the first time. Or killing Grunty in Banjo-Tooie (extremely hard battle, actually). Grabbing my mits on the NES Zapper the first time and controlling with the control stick on the Nintendo64. But the most magical, nintendo-ish moment of all must be buying Majora's Mask. I remember standing there, having saved all of my money for the game and being excited over it. I felt the thrill. I felt sick during thee ride home, because I was nervous. It was the greatest experience ever, and I had it again with banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong. Strangely, and sadly, enough, that doesn't happen too often anymore. That's probably what made Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask shine out above Twilight Princess. The excitement of beginning your quest. Sometimes you wished you never grew old.

Sign in to follow this