NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Dare

Radio 4 in 'balanced view on games' shocker

You may be interested to listen to this weeks edition of 'The Long View'. The topic is a look at the silliness of the usual videogame debate, using the example of Samuel Richardson's 'Pamela'- a 17th century novel that was attacked for it's corruption on the youth etc.

not for everyone, but interesting.

Hmm, it can't be downloaded as a podcast? Get with the times bbc....

*starts listening*

Edit: nice to here a logical overview instead of biased opinions like those of Boris Johnson, jumping to conclusions without actually having played games themselves... although the constant references to 18th century art and literature in this broadcast were a little contrived.

2nd Edit: I love the talk about getting hooked on reading in the past though! In case anyone missed this news post on the front page about Tory MP Boris going off one on again: http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=9938, he talks about how kids are playing games instead of reading books. Someone should read him those passages about kids reading too many books instead of becoming a good husband or wife xD

Good old radio 4, nice to hear a fair and rational view on emerging media. Makes a refreshing change to the sensationalist rubbish such as

, seen over in America. Plus it has Brian Blessed, who has a voice that make me go all aquiver. There were a couple of daft things said though, like "they often have badges showing the recommended age that are less then a 50p coin in size", sooooo pretty much like DVD's then. I mean what does he want, the entire box to have a massive 18 the size of a fist stamped on it.

I've actually listened to it now, and it's actually pretty decent. Brownie points for getting the lovely mrs Pratchett to come on. She talks sense. Shame they couldn't get any Edge or Guardian staff, mind.

LMAO this made me listen to just a minute again - man that show is good!!!

Sign in to follow this