NEurope
Bren

Legalize It!

Should it be legal?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be legal?

• Yeh (explain reasons why)
    • Nah (explain reasons why)

Coz it stinks, thats the reason i wouldnt walk down the street. Its frowned upon by the older generation in general. In the summer sitting in the park , no one seems to care except for the older ones. While they stand their tryin to lecture you with a ciggy in their gob.

And its not just smokin it outside, i mean alchohol has a pub to go drink in, to socialize with other drinks.

Pot heads dont, they just have to stumble upon someone else randomly. A place for me to go and get stoned with a load of other people also getin stoned, would be amazin.

Whaddya do? Smoke it in your specially built underground weed shelter in the middle of a forest somewhere? :laughing:

I presume by hiding, you mean your house. Why not smoke it outside? It looks just like a rolled cigarette and no-one could tell the difference if they saw you.

Hell I've smelled pot walking down the street, in a hairdressers, in certain pubs even in a lecture hall.

Did you just make a point then prove yourself wrong in the same post? :heh:

I want it legalized so i can sit in a cafe with my mates having a chill, instead of having to smoke it hiding. And so i can get good quality weed, most the shit floatin round britan is poor.

You can get £25 return trips to Amsterdam, and just stay in a cheap hostel for a week. Make a kinda holiday break out of it. I understand what you're saying, but then again, smoking weed in a cafe is NEVER going to happen here.

Smoking bans are enforced in places like that from June/July, so I don't know how the hell you would consider that to be a possibility. If you want to chill out with the stuff then there's your own home and your back garden (if you've got one).

whenever I've tried cannabis it's just been a great and funny time. Lots of great memories stemming from it, reminds me of school and early college, and the guys and girls I hung out with at that time - years I enjoyed a lot!

That's what it's about. It's more of a growing up thing, and you'll either bother to try it or not when in that college/uni period in your life.

No not quite :heh:

I said

Whaddya do? Smoke it in your specially built underground weed shelter in the middle of a forest somewhere?

I presume by hiding, you mean your house. Why not smoke it outside? It looks just like a rolled cigarette and no-one could tell the difference if they saw you.

Hell I've smelled pot walking down the street, in a hairdressers, in certain pubs even in a lecture hall.

I never said I saw anyone smoking it, just smelled.

;)

Smoking bans are enforced in places like that from June/July, so I don't know how the hell you would consider that to be a possibility. If you want to chill out with the stuff then there's your own home and your back garden (if you've got one).

I forgot about that lol, but theirs other ways of gettin it in ya. Vaporizing it, possibly the safest way of inhaling it, causes no smoke. The weed gets heated to a temperature just below burning, causing vapour to rise out of it, down a tube, into ya lungs, and away you go. And cafes could also sell cakes/teas woteva ya needed lol.

Pros.

1. Legalising it would take a large weight off the police's and HM.Revenues and Custom's shoulders.

2. It could easily be controlled in the same way that aspirin is limited through selected retailers.

3. It would stop a huge cash cow for the organised crime industry.

4. Less stress in general for all sorts of people who would otherwise go to alcohol, cigarettes or food.

5. Taxes.

Cons.

1. How can you explain to a child that doing drugs is wrong (at their age potentially a serious addiction) when the parents/old siblings smoke it? Potentially desensitises them to harder drugs as a natural progression.

2. Smoking pure weed has few side effects but it is often smoked with tobacco which is still the UK's number 1 killer.

3. Excessive use over prolonged periods of time has been shown to cause neural failure (funked up head)- it's no where near as bad as the Talk to Frank adverts make it out to be.. but there are certainly risks contrary to playground tales.

4. Taxes.

Personally I don't care- if one wants it, one can get it relatively easy.

I have a dealer in my village which only has a couple of hundred houses.

It penetrates every level of society because there will always be demand for it.

I forgot about that lol, but theirs other ways of gettin it in ya. Vaporizing it, possibly the safest way of inhaling it, causes no smoke. The weed gets heated to a temperature just below burning, causing vapour to rise out of it, down a tube, into ya lungs, and away you go. And cafes could also sell cakes/teas woteva ya needed lol.

Then the whole spliff politics are gone out the window if it's carried out that way, and along with what Shorty said, the fun of actually doing it will be gone.

If the stuff was to be never smoked any more, then I'd not bother. Again, it's a social thing which would be done with the same minded people as yourself.

I also can't understand people who just sit and smoke it on their own and be hermits.

haha yeah to this day iv never had a doob to meself. Always gotta have at least 1 person on it. And im not arsed about the spliff politics, after 100's of doobs theyve gotten a bit boring. I find smokin bongs or eating it a lot more fun than a spliff cud ever be. Plus no tobacco in either of the, which is also a plus. I dont smoke tobacco on its own.

I don't understand the social problem- I don't understand why it is a problem having a beer on your own, or going to the cinema on your own.

It isn't an addiction, in fact in the states it's called 'me' time and people like to be alone.

I don't feel a social pressure either way to smoke with people or without- because I know I have the self control to enjoy it in moderation.

Most people practice rolling at home anyway but never admit it- because bad rolling is embarassing for all.

I think its hypocrite to have alcohol legalized and not legalize pot, drunk people are way worse than pot heads. But my view is that none of them should be legal so I voted No.

How can you explain to a child that doing drugs is wrong (at their age potentially a serious addiction) when the parents/old siblings smoke it?

I think the best thing would be to explain that all drugs are not the same. you could say how do you explain that drugs are wrong if you smoke or drink beer? the main problem with the drugs message in this country is that for decades everything comes under the blanket term of "drugs" (apart from the drugs the government sells you), which means that when Mrs Brown finds a bong in her sons room she think's he's a smack head. It also means that the grave message of DRUGS KILL! TAKE WEED AND YOU'LL END UP ON HEROIN! YOU'LL BE A LOSER WITH NO FREINDS AND NO JOB! is a joke to people who see all around themselves that this is not generally true. And so they assume that the things said about harder drugs are bollocks as well.

People also assume things like you are definitely hooked after one hit of heroin, so they take it again because they think they've got to, thanks to people putting demonising drugs before being honest about them.

Like when Graeme Norton said he took E and it made him feel great, or a research project found that some people could manage a heroin addiction and still lead a productive and sucessfull life people wanted them burnt at the stake for being honest about it. Of course E makes you feel great, that's why people take it. Pretending people only do it because they're forced to by peer pressure or something, or only releasing research data which backs the "100% evil no question immediate death to all" line is dishonest and helps no-one.

but you could say the same about tobacco and alchohol.

And personally I think that cigarettes should be illegal. And although I do drink I wouldn't exactly complain if alcohol was illegal. it's not as if I need it to make my life complete or exciting.

Cannabis is illegal because it is bad, and can be extremely detrimental to ones health correct?

And I know you could bring up smoking and such, but I don't think the truth about smoking was known at the time of it being introduced, and as such the economy has now built up too much of a dependence upon the money it brings in, that it would be crippling to make it illegal.

And on the topic of alcohol being legal, well alcohol is OK, as long as consumed sensibly, plus I'm pretty sure it's not inherently addictive, where as Cannabis is extremely addictive and isn't OK even when used in a small amounts.

Those are my thoughts.

And on the topic of alcohol being legal, well alcohol is OK, as long as consumed sensibly, plus I'm pretty sure it's not inherently addictive, where as Cannabis is extremely addictive and isn't OK even when used in a small amounts.

So all the alcoholics in the world are lying?

Legalizing it would increase availability, but I'm also thinking it would decrease quality, with us only getting what the government consider is strong enough. Then there's prices, it'd be taxed to fuck, giving us shit weed at extortionate prices.there'd still be a black market, but I think the legal alternative will push prices up on the good stuff.

Don't make no difference to me, I can always get decent stuff at reasonable prices, both imported and homegrown, and most likely it won't make any difference to the real smokers.

I'd like to see it legalised so I wasn't at risk of losing my job because I enjoy the relaxing feeling I get from consuming a plant that grows naturally on the earth. I see no moral reasons for it being illegal, just a lot of nanny-state nonsense 'protecting people from themselves'.

There are negative side-effects but adults deserve the right to make their own decisions. In a democracy, the things people want should not be illegal. if you make sought-after products illegal, you simply hand the supply of the product to 'criminals' by definition.

And I've met some dealers who were really nice people, they just sold something that they themselves enjoyed and made money from it. Much like a pub landlord.

'Gateway drug' nonsense is nonsense. The statistical inference is that "people who take hard drugs are more likely to have smoked cannabis than people who have never taken hard drugs". Which is fairly obvious. If you say yes to smack, you're unlikely to turn down a joint. The converse is not necessarily true.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Rant over.

Cannabis is extremely addictive and isn't OK even when used in a small amounts.

What? Where did you get either of these facts? Cannabis is not a particularly addictive drug. It's far less addictive than say... caffeine.

In a democracy, the things people want should not be illegal.

So heroine, guns, nuclear arms etc. should also be legal? Hey it's a democracy and people want them so why not?

Get real.

I know i could sit and do this without them, but its just something to do, and the feeling is VERY relaxing. Think alchohol, then pretty much the opposite of it.

Wine is relaxing.

Anyway, haven't we had this thread before? If not certainly this discussion.

where as Cannabis is extremely addictive and isn't OK even when used in a small amounts.

Bollocks.

proof?

Bollocks.

proof?

That documentary ( ;) )from the 1930s, Reefer Madness I presume.

The "It's illegal for a reason" line is a bit lame imho. Alcohol was illegal in America for a reason and it's illegal in Saudia Arabia for a reason.

Skunky17 are you fatrox?

I was about to say that earlier in the thread.

Never seen anyone called Skunky being a Aficionado, or seeing that name about..........I don't think?

yeah i am. And before u say it, yeh i kno this has been discussed before, but that last thread is long gone. And theirs a fair amount of new people since then, so i thought a new 2007 one was in order xD