NEurope
darthbane2k

Wii snubbed? - Sixaxis honoured with Emmy

1. http://www.cesweb.org/attendees/directory/default.asp

2. Read who the candidates was

3. Think

4. Reach to the conclusion that with those candidates the Sixaxis is the obvious winner

5. Lock the thread lol

Basically what I was saying before, Nintendo never attend that event FORKING out money for promotional purposes like the others at this event, of course they won't be in the running for the award.

LOCK THREAD.

To be fair, the Emmys deserve to be ignored in all aspects. Old style system that really is outdated.

..Yeh.. the Dual Shock Analogue sticks are horrendous.. and the D-Pad makes my thumb hurt a little after prolonged play.. GC Controller was the best thing out there..

Haven't the analogue sticks been 'fixed' for the PS3 though?

Don't think you have to plug it in everytime to play you know. I personally I'm so used to the PS2 pad now that I don't mind using them. At first I hated the sticks, but now I don't mind. It's nice that they updated the X2 buttons to trigger like effect though.

You have to plug in to connect at first, after that he'll recognize it. untill you go online (or so i've heard), when the entire pad needs straight connection with the console to insert your characters. There was something incredibly annoying requiring you to connect it to the console. It's a different system than Wii - it's more about registering the controllers the first time and then recognizing them, while the Wii - though needing syncing - recalibrates every time again with the system. It's complicated stuff.

Tellyn888, you're talking out of your big fat arse. The PS3 controller works exactly the same way as the Xbox 360 one.

Good work Sony, pleased to see them getting something for their efforts rather than the continous harsh criticism they get for apparently 'stealing' other people's ideas.

Sony have got one thing that Nintendo haven't, a bit of sense in naming. I think there's alot in a name, SIXAXIS is quite an awesome one and kudos to whoever come up with it. It flows off the tongue well, sounds smooth and sleek, and most of the reasons of it being a good name were covered earlier, and I dunno if anyone mentioned the rather clever fact that it's a palindrome as well.

Had Nintendo stuck with Revolution over Wii, well, I don't doubt things would have been different. Even so, they don't have a proper name for their controller, constantly referred to as Wii Remote. I know the phrase Wiimote has been coined, but I have yet to see it used by Nintendo, and why the hell not?! Why not make it the official name? It'd give a better image, like SIXAXIS does.

Good work Sony, pleased to see them getting something for their efforts rather than the continous harsh criticism they get for apparently 'stealing' other people's ideas.

Sony have got one thing that Nintendo haven't, a bit of sense in naming. I think there's alot in a name, SIXAXIS is quite an awesome one and kudos to whoever come up with it. It flows off the tongue well, sounds smooth and sleek, and most of the reasons of it being a good name were covered earlier, and I dunno if anyone mentioned the rather clever fact that it's a palindrome as well.

Had Nintendo stuck with Revolution over Wii, well, I don't doubt things would have been different. Even so, they don't have a proper name for their controller, constantly referred to as Wii Remote. I know the phrase Wiimote has been coined, but I have yet to see it used by Nintendo, and why the hell not?! Why not make it the official name? It'd give a better image, like SIXAXIS does.

Shame the quality of the name hasn't passed onto the final product. Its the worst controller of the three offerings from consoles. Cheap is the best word to describe the controller. It does it's job and in certain games, its quite good, but the lack of rumble in favour of motion control wasn't a good ommission.

From Engadget

We weren't sure why the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences decided to give Sony's evolutionary SIXAXIS controller a Technology and Engineering Emmy and, evidently, neither were they. After Sony blasted out a press release proudly proclaiming the honor -- and after the internet rubbed its collective eyes raw -- we've learned that Sony wasn't alone in receiving an honor from the Academy. The list of Emmy Award winners for "Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers" include Sony Computer Entertainment of America and ... Nintendo! Did Nintendo's innovative Wiimote share the honor with the motion-sensing SIXAXIS? Not quite ... Séamus at Hydrapinion did some legwork and discovered that, while Sony had won an Emmy for Technology and Engineering, it wasn't for the SIXAXIS. Instead, Christine Chin from NATAS confirmed that Sony's Dual Shock as well as Nintendo's D-Pad (NES pad?) won "for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks." Oops! You know what they say happens when you assume.

Drat, Dante beat me to it. :P He really must be a robot, posting at 3:23am... (hope you got some sleep)

Yeah, Sony's PR gave us another spadeful of bulls**t. Not only was the Emmy really for the Dual Shock, a pad that came out for the PS1, but one was also awarded to Nintendo for their invention of the D-pad!

Lesson learnt: Never believe a single thing Sony says, unless it is independently verified. I never believed their "sold" *cough*shipped*cough* stats, but I fell for this one.

I saw this earlier, i have to wonder what went through Sonys minds.

"Hey guys the dual shock is getting an award, but lets say it was the Sixaxis so people think it's better than it is."

Did they really think they wouldn't be found out?

Wonder what their thinking now that they have?

This is somewhat similar to when that plane went missing in Indonesia and the government said they found it and there were survivors, only problem was THEY DIDN'T FIND THE PLANE

http://www.gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=9987

Thats got to sting now its being posted all over....

Anyone pointing to Emmys looking for Sony's achievements are most likely going to be presented with this garb every time they search.

No-one can really take the D-pad from nintendo though...Simple but excellent.

Just when you thought Sony fired those lazy PR guys, they pop up again. If I was Sony's boss, i'de sack those guys, and sack the people who sacked those guys, sorry to use Monthy Python for this, you guys. Come on, as if last year didn't have really bad business strategies and PR. Sony can't keep fooling around like this. Everytime Sony declares something, you have to chew it twice and spit it in the bin, look at the paper again and see if Sony didn't change any words. Or you hire the guys from CSI: Miami to check if there are previous notes readable to check words they deleted with pressure techniques. Sorry, Sony, but I've got to give it to Nintendo: the PR of that company has improved significantly the past years and they strategicly shown all info about the then-known 'Revolution'. They fucked up your Tokyo Game Show. Twice. In a row. They stole E3. They launched with a bang. Now where's the Sony we know?

Fire the PR, Sony, you're having bad press. And not a little bit.

Tellyn888, you're talking out of your big fat arse. The PS3 controller works exactly the same way as the Xbox 360 one.

No it doesn't: the 360 controller works, the ps3 one is like the ps2 one, and therefore doesn't.

No it doesn't: the 360 controller works, the ps3 one is like the ps2 one, and therefore doesn't.

Nothing bad about Sony bashing, but don't forget it's still the world's most-known and used controller of all time. People love it. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's one that you musn't just deny existence. Just pointing that out, if you don't mind.

because we're not all into mindless Sony-bashing and we try to get valuable arguments to hit them. Like their insanely crappy PR.

just to clear some things up: it wasn't the ps3 sixaxis controller that won, but the ps2 dual shock!

and don't come saying "but even sony themselves said so" I KNOW! and then tell me when they're not talking shit.

but it was a shot in the knee, it was all over digg.com. well done, sony :D

Cheers, love you too. And correction, Xbox360 has rumble.

I'm going by what I saw in a news story the other month that said it came with a USB cable that you used to link the controller to the console manually every time you turned it on. I have no source, not sure if it's correct or not so just read as wireless for now.

Its not. You only have to hook the controller up the first time to sync it to the system.

By the way does ne body have ne thing that they don't like about the wiimote. I for 1 can't stand the way the battery cover feels cheap, loose, and ricketty. It make the controller feel so fragile.

Yeah the battery covers on my wiimotes feel a bit loose, but i stopped noticing it eventually.

Sixaxis

- Tilt

-Buttons

- 'Wireless' which requires you to plug it in for a bit whenever you turn it on to even be able to play

Wii Remote

- Nunchuk attachment

- Classic Controller attachment

- Rumble

- Speaker

- Buttons

- Motion sensing control/tilt/accelerometers

-Wireless

Tell me if I left anything out.

Pointing and distance measurement