NEurope
darthbane2k

Wii snubbed? - Sixaxis honoured with Emmy

PS3 controller picks up prestigious gong at CES

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22052

The PlayStation 3's Sixaxis controller has been honoured with an award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

The Technology and Engineering Emmy Award comes as the console manufacturer also revealed it has shipped one million units of its PlayStation 3 to North American retailers.

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

"The full potential of this powerful machine has yet to be realised. What you've seen so far is just a taste of what will be on the table for 2007 and years to come," he added.

The Sixaxis controller has added motion sensing technology to re-define the original Dual Shock controller, detecting natural, real-time movements, along with input via pressure sensitive buttons, analogue sticks and triggers.

Sony's PlayStation 3 has also picked up the CES Best of Innovations Award for 2007, PC World's 20 Most Innovative Products Award, Sound and Vision's Editor's Choice Award and a Digital Innovation Award from the Digital Entertainment Group.

most copyright infringing company of the year goes to ps3 for blatantly ripping of the wii which has no awards as we have been bribbed by sony

"The overwhelming consumer demand and critical acclaim for PS3 is testament of the platform's strength and the industry's desire for a true next-generation entertainment system,"

That kind of implies that the wii is not "next-gen", and the wii is kicking their ass in sales and interest.

The dual shock, aside from being incredibly uncomfortable, is over complicated and lacks rumble.

Really... what were they thinking giving this award to sony?

*golf clap*

I can understand if the machine itself got an award but a tilt, dual shock w/rumble has already been done for the PS2 by a third party

In addition, Sony's Playstation 3 recently won the award for Debenham's 'Most Impressive Machine-thing' and Thornton's 'Most Overpriced Chocolate of 2006/2007.'

Sony's Vice-Chief of Proliferation had this to say: "We are committed to introducing brand-new never-before-seen, cutting-edge transistors, driving the industry sideways and pushing working class families further into debt than ever before".

In addition, Sony's Playstation 3 recently won the award for Debenham's 'Most Impressive Machine-thing' and Thornton's 'Most Overpriced Chocolate of 2006/2007.'

Well at least that bit was funny.

7/10.

An absolute joke is the only way to decribe this. Seriously, I'm close to pissing myself laughing at this drivel.

I mean... it's just so... *Head smacks table*

*Raises head to mention one more thing* Shipped one million Sony have you? Not sold then?

*Head hits table once more*

SCEA will receive this distinguished honor at an awards presentation being held tonight at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2007 in Las Vegas.

istockphoto_1068382_us_money.jpg

3c238a2981.gif

ps3ya8.jpg

An absolute joke is the only way to decribe this. Seriously, I'm close to pissing myself laughing at this drivel.

I mean... it's just so... *Head smacks table*

*Raises head to mention one more thing* Shipped one million Sony have you? Not sold then?

*Head hits table once more*

Just like with the psp when they said they'd shipped 10 million, but sold about 5.5 million.

Seems the Wii is getting snubbed because it doesn't show next gen power, so isn't in the race for next gen. Then again with games like Farcry showing the wii power of N64ness, there's no surprise alot are not paying attention.

Congratulations to Sony, they worked hard and they really deserved this Award, Keep it up champs.

*golf clap*

I can understand if the machine itself got an award but a tilt, dual shock w/rumble has already been done for the PS2 by a third party

Exactly. Bloody hell they are STUPID!

This just goes to show how dumb some people are... either that or all it show is a good bribe can get you anything.

Congratulations to Sony, they worked hard and they really deserved this Award, Keep it up champs.

Definitely, hats off to them.

God the prepubescent jealousy and generic rage in this thread is hilarious.

Nintendo weren’t part of the event, where they?

Kinda stupid, yes. The Dual Shock was more impressive as a pad than the ankwardly named 'SIXAXIS'. It looks the same, and, let's be honest, how the hell can you actually use the motionsensing anyway different than tilting the controller? I won't be tennissing with this thing like in Wii Sports. But I'll admit, the PS3 is kind of an attractive system and has loads of potential. If they didn't go all motionsesening-ish with their controller, they wouldn't be in the league Nintendo is in. Sadly enough they did, and will probabloy receive an ass-kicking. It was a bad press year for Sony, so it was best to start of good. And if you got money anything can be 'good' for the press. Indepenant press, my ass - they're all advertisment-fabrics...

It's not awkward, it's SIXAXIS.

There's two X's which conveniently ties in with the PlayStation's iconic buttons - triangle, circle, square and cross.

It's a homonym, it sounds the same and flows- threeaxis does not work, however factually correct it may be.

Homonym I think it's called.

It's not awkward, it's SIXAXIS.

There's two X's which conveniently ties in with the PlayStation's iconic buttons - triangle, circle, square and cross.

It's a homonym, it sounds the same and flows- threeaxis does not work, however factually incorrect it may be.

Homonym I think it's called.

Not literally ankward, you fool. It was my thought about the name... Bit okay, you have a point. Still think it's an odd and icredibly stupid name... Why does a controller need a name anyway?

Not literally ankward, you fool. It was my thought about the name... Bit okay, you have a point. Still think it's an odd and icredibly stupid name... Why does a controller need a name anyway?

Mine does it's called Betty.

Seriously though what a fucking joke - we all know know Nintendo are the true innovators - so they can stick their emmy.

Why does a controller need a name anyway?

Identity, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sony coins the term Dual Shock in 1997 or whenever it was, it's a trademarked name and Dual Shock becomes the name for the PlayStation controller.

Third parties cannot call their product dual shock, so when someone comes into a store they'll say "I need to buy a dual shock" or they'll Google it.

It's all money in Sony's pocket which could have been going into third parties had they just left it as "controller" part of it was also to 1up Nintendo.

Sixaxis

- Tilt

-Buttons

- 'Wireless' which requires you to plug it in for a bit whenever you turn it on to even be able to play

Wii Remote

- Nunchuk attachment

- Classic Controller attachment

- Rumble

- Speaker

- Buttons

- Motion sensing control/tilt/accelerometers

-Wireless

Tell me if I left anything out.