NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Dare

Pulp are awesome, but...

You're talking commercially, not musicallly.

Musically, Oasis and Blur were still right up there in the 90s. They've both had a hand in creating some utterly fantastic albums. Even if the albums past Morning Glory ain't as good as the first two, they're still fantastic albums.

I have never heard a bad word said against either Definitely Maybe or (Whats the Story) Morning Glory, and both have some really classic tracks that will remain part of British Music History for a long, long time. I think others will agree with me here. I dunno, maybe you have to be part of it, like growing up listening to their music to truely appreciate it. Sometimes, I feel jealous knowing that other people were around during the Beatles era, and they were there experiencing the whole thing. But, when I think about it more, Oasis were kinda like the Beatles of the 90s.

Different Class is the obvious choice here but This Is Hardcore is also an amazing album. Pulp are definately on par with the best bands of the 90's for sure. Jarvis Cocker is actually incredible..

Whether people like it or not, Brit-pop is the music that defines the nineties. You ask average Joe to think of a ninties band the majority of the time they will say the likes of Oasis and Blur. Yes, they may not have been the best, but was any band? To me asking who is the best band of any era is an entirely rhetorical question which will never be satisfactorly answered, because any answer given will always be swayed by personal opinion and bias. It's part of history and history is always open to interpretation. Anyway, it was quite clearly Radiohead.

As for the original topic of conversation, I was listening to Pulp today and they still sounds as fresh and amazing as they did back in the day. Got to love the witty social commentary of Jarvis Cockers lyrics.

There's something about Jarvis Cocker that is both appealing and funny at the same time. I think the guy's a bit of a legend.

Definitely Maybe & (Whats the Story) Morning Glory... those two were alright. But as I said... it's commercially valid music. ^^

Musically valid music... that's At The Drive-In, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, or My Bloody Valentine. Have you ever taken the time to listen to their album Loveless? Bet not... or if you did, bet you didn't "get what was so special about it". That was one of the top 90's albums. Oasis did the same thing that had been done over and over... but they did it well, and I was around when they were "The next big thing"... I remeber being a kid and singing Wonderwall from dusk till dawn... still, I value creativity above everything.

No wonder OK Computer and loveless are always headlining those "Top 100 albums of the 90's" or "Best Albums Ever Made" lists and (What's The Story) Morning Glory is either near the bottom or nowhere to be found.

I guess the same thing could be said about Blur or Pulp...

Oh, and let's get one thing straight: I like Oasis, Pulp and etc... I was just shocked that someone considered them the "best band of the 90's" when they clearly were not... That may be your personal belief, just like I believe Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the best band ever, but we're both wrong.

I won't even talk about the guy who mentioned blink as the best band of the 90's... (oops, guess I just did, didn't I?).

Definitely Maybe & (Whats the Story) Morning Glory... those two were alright. But as I said... it's commercially valid music. ^^

Musically valid music... that's At The Drive-In, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, or My Bloody Valentine. Have you ever taken the time to listen to their album Loveless? Bet not... or if you did, bet you didn't "get what was so special about it". That was one of the top 90's albums.[/Quote]

Nah, I've never listened to it, but I will check it out now you've mentioned it.

Oasis did the same thing that had been done over and over... but they did it well, and I was around when they were "The next big thing"... I remeber being a kid and singing Wonderwall from dusk till dawn... still, I value creativity above everything. [/Quote]

I value creativity, too. But, in my opinion, a good song is a good song, and a good band is a good band. Every great band out there doesn't need to be the most creative band, as long as the music is good.

No wonder OK Computer and loveless are always headlining those "Top 100 albums of the 90's" or "Best Albums Ever Made" lists and (What's The Story) Morning Glory is either near the bottom or nowhere to be found.

I guess the same thing could be said about Blur or Pulp...[/Quote]

Morning Glory may not be that high, but Definitely Maybe is almost always up there competing at the top.

Oh, and let's get one thing straight: I like Oasis, Pulp and etc... I was just shocked that someone considered them the "best band of the 90's" when they clearly were not... That may be your personal belief, just like I believe Godspeed You! Black Emperor are the best band ever, but we're both wrong.

[/Quote]

But how can an opinion be wrong?

I don't think its absurd to claim that Oasis or Blur were the best band of the 90s, not in the slightest. Ok, maybe not Pulp, but I think both these bands are in with a fair shout.

Musically valid music... that's At The Drive-In, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, or My Bloody Valentine. Have you ever taken the time to listen to their album Loveless? Bet not... or if you did, bet you didn't "get what was so special about it". That was one of the top 90's albums. Oasis did the same thing that had been done over and over... but they did it well, and I was around when they were "The next big thing"... I remeber being a kid and singing Wonderwall from dusk till dawn... still, I value creativity above everything.

I guess the same thing could be said about Blur or Pulp...

I won't even talk about the guy who mentioned blink as the best band of the 90's... (oops, guess I just did, didn't I?).

First off, must you continually use '...' to seperate every sentence?

You berate Blink yet have the cheek to suggest my bloody valentine as the best band of the nineties. What I said about Blink was more aimed at Platty than them being the best band of the 90's, something both Oasis and Blur definantly were not.

Morning Glory may not be that high, but Definitely Maybe is almost always up there competing at the top.

Show me.

But how can an opinion be wrong?

I don't think its absurd to claim that Oasis or Blur were the best band of the 90s, not in the slightest. Ok, maybe not Pulp, but I think both these bands are in with a fair shout.

Here it goes again... It can't... because it's yours. I know The Beatles are one of the best, if not the best band ever... and I hate them. I know why everybody loves them, and it's only fair that they receive such love and worship. Every credit they get, is due. And I still hate them, but I admit it's good music, even if my opinion says it's not that "WOW". You see, how an opinion can be wrong.

Oh... and as I already said and you agreed, they weren't exactly the most original band around... although they did what they did very well. The best band of an era has to be something that defined that era... and while Oasis were a huge part of the 80's, and for sure we will be hearing about them in 50 years just like we hear of the Beatles, Zeppelin or the Stones... even so, they did not define the 90's, they jumped on the bandwagon and topped it, they simply followed the most probable route for the music business to take. And they became legends for doing what was already done thousands of time and yet being able to bring something new to the tested-and-tried formula.

Take Björk, for example... she started something new, redifined pop as we know it and delivered album after album of unsurpassed originality. THAT's a top 90's artist. And I'm not even that much a fan of her's.

wow. I clearly shouldn't have started with that claim.

Personally I love Pulp more than any other band- you know the kind of group that you adopt in you're mind as flawless and perfect in their time. For alot of people that band was Oasis but I never really liked them. Pulp were always smarter, more interesting and more original. Plus Jarvis can sing. arf

;)

It probably helps being from Sheffield. Nobody else makes music like Pulp and everyone here loves them for it.

Oxigen: I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Meh, I still love Oasis. :heh:

DanDare: You're from Sheffield? I thought you were from Viking land?

I came from the land of the ice and snow as a nipper. I'm native enough

not really.

I still love Oasis.

And that's why I like you. You stay true to your beliefs. :)

And now... a very hardcore moment: xTrueXtillXdeathx

It probably helps being from Sheffield. Nobody else makes music like Pulp and everyone here loves them for it.

I live in Sheffield, neither I nor any of my friends particularly like Pulp :heh:

Best band of the 90's is probably R.E.M

:awesome: Has to be! Either them or Smashing Pumpkins!

Radiohead :zzz: tried listening to them, really didnt get it (and how i tried, was getting told all summer that i had to see them when i was at V)

Fatboy Slim would have to be the sound of the late 90s :idea:

Indeed, Oasis do suck so very much.

I'm not even going to enter metal territory like The Bard (I mean... Nile? Emperor? Pantera? don't those names ring a bell?)

Yeah, those bands are fantastic, I don't really consider Nile to be a band of the 90's though, they only became significant with the turn of the century...

You're talking commercially, not musicallly.

You're talking objectively about a topic which is completely subjective.

You put down other people's suggestions as though you know the facts, when there are none.

You're talking objectively about a topic which is completely subjective.

You put down other's people's suggestions as though you know the facts, when there are none.

Yeh this guys right this means noone can insult the fact that I love Girls Aloud. That makes me subjectively cool and objectively homosexual!

Here it goes again... It can't... because it's yours. I know The Beatles are one of the best, if not the best band ever... and I hate them. I know why everybody loves them, and it's only fair that they receive such love and worship. Every credit they get, is due. And I still hate them, but I admit it's good music, even if my opinion says it's not that "WOW". You see, how an opinion can be wrong.

Oh... and as I already said and you agreed, they weren't exactly the most original band around... although they did what they did very well. The best band of an era has to be something that defined that era... and while Oasis were a huge part of the 80's, and for sure we will be hearing about them in 50 years just like we hear of the Beatles, Zeppelin or the Stones... even so, they did not define the 90's, they jumped on the bandwagon and topped it, they simply followed the most probable route for the music business to take. And they became legends for doing what was already done thousands of time and yet being able to bring something new to the tested-and-tried formula.

Take Björk, for example... she started something new, redifined pop as we know it and delivered album after album of unsurpassed originality. THAT's a top 90's artist. And I'm not even that much a fan of her's.

You say they ripped off other bands but music has been done before and past music (especially from bands as big as the beatles will always be found in other bands). Nothing in music is "new".

And stop putting an ellipsis in between each sentence.

You say they ripped off other bands but music has been done before and past music (especially from bands as big as the beatles will always be found in other bands). Nothing in music is "new".

And stop putting an ellipsis in between each sentence.

Take this answer and love me. :)

Sign in to follow this