NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Dare

Pulp are awesome, but...

Right, we all know Pulp were the best band of the 90s. This is hard science.

But what was their best album? loads of people reckon it's Different Class, but I'm a His 'n' Hers man myself.

Also, what do you make of their various solo output since? Jarvis has just put out his new album, and one time guitarist Richard Hawley released Coles Corner a while ago. Did anyone listen to their combined efforts on Relaxed Muscle?

so yeah, discuss their brilliance :)

Pulp were not the best band of the nineties. The Verve were.

Spice Girls fool.

Spice Girls fool.

They weren't just best of the nineties. They were best of the nineteen hundreds.

I had an amazing skateboard video from when I was a big skateboarding fan - it was called P.J. Ladd's Wonderful Horrible Life. It's probably still the best skate video ever, even though I don't skate anymore.

It had a song on it by Pulp called "Like a Friend", and despite it being about 5 or 6 years ago that I first heard it on said skate video, it's been in the top of my playlist ever since.

Other than that song, I never cared for them.

I love Pulp and have just got Jarvis new album and cant stop listening to it :)

But for me the best bands of the 90's were Oasis & Blur.

I love Pulp and have just got Jarvis new album and cant stop listening to it :)

What about Blink?

They are definitely up there.

What about Blink?

They aren't

Pfft, the best band of the nineties were clearly In Flames...or maybe Dark Tranquility...At the Gates are definately up there aswell...

Differant Class is there best album from what I heard, and Bad Cover Version is the best solo out of them, if it was a solo effort, I can't remember...

...but Pulp are shit.

Best band of the 90's is probably R.E.M

DanDare, as much as I love you, you are a fool for claiming Pulp to be the best band of the 90s.

Oasis. Pure and simple. ;)

I love Pulp, and Disco 2000 always will have a special place in my heart.

They are definitely up there.

They aren't

Oasis are shit. PERIOD.

Radiohead are by far the best band of the nineties. Ok Computer is one of the greatest albums ever made, nothing else from this decade compares to it imo.

Pulp? Oasis? Blink? Has the world gone insane.

The only one who's making any sense in The Bard...

If someone had at least mentioned Radiohead (remember... OK Computer, best album of the 90's according to Rolling Stone... and as far as I'm concerned it's in the top ten... AND THEY'RE BRITISH) or Nirvana (even though I hate them) I would have understood... I could let it go if you said Blur... but Oasis?

I'm not even going to enter metal territory like The Bard (I mean... Nile? Emperor? Pantera? don't those names ring a bell?)

How come nobody mentioned these... (I'm only gonna mention british bands, just to make you feel worst about yourselves...)

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (how can you forget these guys? :|)

Aphex Twin

Squarepusher

Portishead... Not to mention non british bands... PULP? OASIS? Just die already.

I'm still wondering who the hell considers blink the best band in the 90's... YOU HAVE TO BE RETARDED.

Lies. Oasis were and are still a class act.:heh:

No, they bands they stole the majority of their songs from were.

If someone had at least mentioned Radiohead (remember... OK Computer, best album of the 90's according to Rolling Stone... and as far as I'm concerned it's in the top ten... AND THEY'RE BRITISH)

*Coughs rather loudly

Pulp? Oasis? Blink? Has the world gone insane.

The only one who's making any sense in The Bard...

If someone had at least mentioned Radiohead (remember... OK Computer, best album of the 90's according to Rolling Stone... and as far as I'm concerned it's in the top ten... AND THEY'RE BRITISH) or Nirvana (even though I hate them) I would have understood... I could let it go if you said Blur... but Oasis?

I'm not even going to enter metal territory like The Bard (I mean... Nile? Emperor? Pantera? don't those names ring a bell?)

How come nobody mentioned these... (I'm only gonna mention british bands, just to make you feel worst about yourselves...)

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (how can you forget these guys? :|)

Aphex Twin

Squarepusher

Portishead... Not to mention non british bands... PULP? OASIS? Just die already.

I'm still wondering who the hell considers blink the best band in the 90's... YOU HAVE TO BE RETARDED.

Those bands you listed have made some great music, and I love Radiohead. But, as far as bands that really dominated an era go, you have to admit that Oasis and Blur were at the top of their game. The whole rivalry is part of music legend, and not many bands can claim that. I don't like Blur, but I recognise that they have played a part in making the 90s that bit more memorable for millions of people.

No, they bands they stole the majority of their songs from were.

Meh, that argument has been done to death. Oasis have taken inspiration from the likes of The Beatles, The Stone Roses, T-Rex and the sort, but they are also massive fans of these bands. It's not like they went out to rip these bands off just for the hell of it, its more like a homage. The Gallaghers grew up with these bands, and this was the music that really moulded them into what they are today.

Meh, that argument has been done to death. Oasis have taken inspiration from the likes of The Beatles, The Stone Roses, T-Rex and the sort, but they are also massive fans of these bands. It's not like they went out to rip these bands off just for the hell of it, its more like a homage. The Gallaghers grew up with these bands, and this was the music that really moulded them into what they are today.

Agreed.

I think Oasis and Blur would be my favourite bands of the 90's, but I couldn't decide on who's the best of the 90's (not just out of those 2). At the end of the day it's just a matter of personal preference.

as far as bands that really dominated an era go, you have to admit that Oasis and Blur were at the top of their game. The whole rivalry is part of music legend, and not many bands can claim that. I don't like Blur, but I recognise that they have played a part in making the 90s that bit more memorable for millions of people.

You're talking commercially, not musicallly.

Sign in to follow this