NEurope
Twozzok

Official Bread Megathread.

I know some us like bread as much as I do. So I've taken the time to prepare some information about this much loved food. I hope some of you can learn something like I did from researching.

Bread

Bread is a staple food of European, Middle Eastern and Indian (or in other words Indo-European and Semitic) cultures which is prepared by baking, steaming, or frying dough. Bread consists minimally of flour and water; salt is present in most cases; and usually a leavening agent such as yeast is used. Breads may also contain some amounts of sugar, spices, fruit (such as raisins, pumpkin or bananas), vegetables (like onion or zucchini), nuts, or seeds (such as caraway, sesame or poppy seeds). There are a wide variety of breads, with preferences differing from region to region.

Fresh bread is prized for its taste and texture, and retaining its freshness is important to keep it appetizing. Bread that has stiffened or dried past its prime is said to be stale. Modern bread is often wrapped in paper or plastic film, or stored in airtight containers such as a breadbox to keep it fresh longer. Bread that is kept in warm moist environments is prone to the growth of mold. It becomes stale more quickly in the low temperature of a refrigerator, although by keeping it cool, mold is less likely to grow.

The inner soft part of bread is referred to as the crumb (not to be confused with small bits called "crumbs"). The outer hard part of bread is called the crust. The latter is in common usage, however "crumb" is used mainly by professionals.

Some types of bread

Your plain old 'Loaf' Bread

loafbreadsp5.jpg

French Bread

frenchbreadwu4.jpg

Naan Bread.

naanbreadom4.jpg

Soda Bread.

sodabreadrz8.jpg

Bagel.

bagelxt3.jpg

Pizza Base.

pizzabasexe0.jpg

Making Bread

This is a recipe to make the absolutely delicious Banana bread.

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup shortening

* 3/4 cup white sugar

* 2 eggs

* 1 cup mashed bananas

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/2 cup quick cooking oats

* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the banana and vanilla.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Some information on Toast

Toast is bread that has been browned by exposure to dry heat. This browning reaction is a form of Maillard reaction. Toasting warms the bread and makes it crisp so that it holds toppings more securely including butter, garlic, cheese, jam and/or marmalade, among other toppings. Toasting is also a common method of making stale bread more palatable.

The usual method of toasting bread is by the use of a toaster, a small appliance made for that purpose. To use a modern toaster, simply place sliced bread into the narrow slots on the top of the toaster, tune it to the correct setting (some toasters have more elaborate settings than others) and push the lever down. The toast is done when the lever pops up along with the toast. If the toast is not done to the user's liking, press the lever down again.

Originally, toasting was not this easy; one of the first home toasting appliances that was available would only toast one side of the bread at a time, so the bread had to be flipped over half way through if one preferred both sides toasted. Bread can also be toasted under a grill, in an open oven, or lying on an oven rack. Toaster ovens are special small appliances made for toasting bread or for heating small amounts of other foods. Bread can also be toasted by holding it near but not directly over an open flame, such as a campfire or fireplace; special toasting utensils (e.g. toasting forks) are made for this purpose. Another device for preparing toasted bread outdoor is the folding camping toaster; holding four slices of bread the folding camp toaster is typically placed over a camp fire or open flame to prepare. Toast is also common as a comfort food, or as a baby's first solid food.

Various Links

Bread's Wikipedia Page

Toast's Wikipedia Page

Nutritional Facts About Bread.

The Science Behind Bread.

Some Awesome Bread Machine recipes.

The History of Bread.

I saw the title of the thread, and I ran downstairs to get some bread. I dont know what type it is, but my grandma bought it from a Jewish shop. So gorgeously soft.

I love a Naan bread with some curry. I'm not adventurous enough and only go with Korma, which isnt even foriegn, its British

Damn Kingsmill bread, too large to fit sideways in my toaster.

Well, seeing as your brought it up, and I was about to.

ASDA Tiger Bread my friends. 25p for a small tiger tail, 38p for a 400g loaf, and 71p for an 800g loaf. All uncut, but the bakery should cut it for you if you ask. This stuff truly is the bread of champions, if you ever need some uncut bread, I'd recommend it. Hell, even if you don't need uncut bread, I'd recommend it!

(i may have made up those prices, but they're close to)

Shall we avoid the controversial topic of tiger bread? :heh:

tell me more about this ferocious bread..

tell me more about this ferocious bread..

wildlife.jpg + cut.jpg = tiger-bread.jpg

It's bread with dried marmity stuff on top. It'll eat you if you don't eat it first.

Does anybody here actually like brown bread? White bread ftw.

Brown/Granary > White

Although the jewish bread Challah (pronounced 'holla') is delicious

Brown/Granary > White

QFT

Although I am quite partial to some Warburtons white bread buns from time to time. Also I love French bread with a garlic centre, awesome! As standard bread goes though, brown/granary FTW.

Who was it on C-E who posted themselves with a slice of bread on their face? EEVIL or Odwin I can't remember. [request for it to be posted again]

Well, seeing as your brought it up, and I was about to.

ASDA Tiger Bread my friends. 25p for a small tiger tail, 38p for a 400g loaf, and 71p for an 800g loaf. All uncut, but the bakery should cut it for you if you ask. This stuff truly is the bread of champions, if you ever need some uncut bread, I'd recommend it. Hell, even if you don't need uncut bread, I'd recommend it!

(i may have made up those prices, but they're close to)

Tiger bread my second choice of bread to warburtonsr2c6po6.jpg.

Warbutons crusts with nothing on them FTW.

I like the Warburtons that comes in the orange packet, 97p from Sainsbury's though....

I used to eat bread on its own when I was a kid... just grab a few slices of fresh white and chew.

OK, sometimes I still do that when lazy

Who was it on C-E who posted themselves with a slice of bread on their face? EEVIL or Odwin I can't remember. [request for it to be posted again]

That was Odwin i believe.

OK, sometimes I still do that when lazy

I always do that, there's nothing to be ashamed of young bread man.

We have a breadmaker in the house its classic. WEll some of the bread is to sweet but some the otehr day was literally some of the best bread ive ever had.

I always do that, there's nothing to be ashamed of young bread man.

*sniff* I thought I was the only one argwq0.gif

I used to eat bread on its own when I was a kid... just grab a few slices of fresh white and chew.

Me too, and still do, although not as much. I remember whenever I got back from school I always craved just a slice of bread, nothing else.