NEurope
Charlie

Mac Thread

Aqua is the user interface for the Mac OS X.

So OpenOffice has two versions, one is Aqua; so when running it will look like a normal Mac application. The other version requires X11 and has the windowed effect.

The X11 is an application that can let your Mac run Unix coded programs. It's not an emulator as such, but it's best to think of it that way. Just remember it is very stable; unlike most emulators.

Ah right. Cool cool. Yeah I can't think of a better word for it other than emulator, too.

Caris, a quick note....

Quark Xpress isn't the industry standard anymore. It's been slowly dying the past 5 years, and working in the design industry I can safely assure you its on its way out. After totally shafting OSX users early on and failing to keep up with InDesign's innovations most studios have made the switch to InDesign.

Oh right cheers for that, i'll have a read through these comments and update it soon.

Thanks.

I know it's probably not all that relevant here but aren't mitchell and webb as PC and Mac, a bit shit in the new mac UK ads? Compared to the original US ads anyway. PC isn't geeky enough and Mac doesn't seem all that cool and fun at all.

I thought that advert was pretty good actually. I haven't seen the US version though. People on MacRumors.com were saying that the UK ones were better.

I think the UK mac adverts are decent. Seen them on alot of bus stops as well. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1253907892.1170175390@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccegaddjmdgekegcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-27739&show_all=true

thought I'd post that here, as it seems like quite a good price for the iMac.

Ah christ, I would have bought one if they were in stock! I have the money ready.

Any chance of them staying at that price?

Apple's don't change prices, actually. Only a few times they do change and that's never something to talk about. If you're paying 900£ right now, you'll be paying that in a few years, too, except we forgot inflation here. Macs are same priced, every time again.

Slow thread for a sticky, this one - though there's so much to say about macs...

Apple's don't change prices, actually. Only a few times they do change and that's never something to talk about. If you're paying 900£ right now, you'll be paying that in a few years, too, except we forgot inflation here. Macs are same priced, every time again.

I ment at the price on the PC World link, I doubt it anyway.

I ment at the price on the PC World link, I doubt it anyway.

Even so - I see that even MediaMarkt here in Belgium, about the biggest Media store in the country, has exactly the same prices Apple offers. All the other computers are cheaper there than with the concurrence, except macs.

Ok then: viruses.

And... Macs? What does everyone think?

Haven't had any problems with those yet - think of it this way: makin a virus for mac is making a virus for only a small part of the entire computer population, so nobody really spends time to do it. There a some - but not suffice to grab hold of one.The probably stop from the momeent a windows computer is reached and the command of sending them to the addressbook is unavaible.

It's true - -acs are virusless systems. That is, untill everyone buys a mac and making Mac virusses reaches the largest group and makes the most damage. Without damage there is no reason to make a virus, so no 'I love you' for mac tomorrow.

Ok then: viruses.

And... Macs? What does everyone think?

They're non-existant. Part of the reason is that you have to type in a password to install a programme which is incredibly simple to do but thwarts many virus's.

They user base is to small for many people to even consider writing viruses, granted the OS is very secure but if they had a PC size install base im sure that they would have alot of viruses.

Ah, ok good. Basically I was wondering how many of us Mac users had been brain washed by their propaganda; but thankfully we're all quite realistic here.

I'm sure that in the next 3 years Mac's will still be quite safe - after that though Mac OS may become a target for some of the smarter hackers and programmers.

:bouncy: Can't wait till i get my MacBook :bouncy:

Sad thing is that it wont be until April i think, when my third and final lot of my student loan comes in. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Whats the best software to use to run XP on a mac?