NEurope
Dyson

Canned Laughter...Ugh!

Does this tick anyone else off? I hate watching a TV program and hearing a fake audience laugh in the background [Ala Friends, most comedies/sitcoms]? It's as if they're TELLING me to laugh, and pointing out it was an attempt to be funny, when most of the time it really isn't.

There really is no point in it and if anything it's annoying. What do you think? Does it add anything special for you or is it just a constant annoyance?

There's gotta be a space for the audience to laugh, and it would be stupid on most occasions if there was nothing there.

There's gotta be a space for the audience to laugh, and it would be stupid on most occasions if there was nothing there.

It's useless though. I can understand a live audience laugh, but the canned laughter in programs leaves a large gap where more often than not you're not even laughing.

Comedies don't NEED to have gaps in between the jokes - look at Scrubs, one of the best shows on TV at the moment, no canned laughter at all.

I pretty much just mentioned this in the Ugly Betty topic. In the fake laughing recording, you always have one person that cracks up and is really loud and stands out compared to the rest and often they are amusing themselves often when the show is rather mediocre.

I pretty much just mentioned this in the Ugly Betty topic. In the fake laughing recording, you always have one person that cracks up and is really loud and stands out compared to the rest and often they are amusing themselves.

Then the show shouldn't be on TV in the first place. If it's not good enough to make you want to laugh without a prompt, it's failed at it's target.

It can be tacky, But if it's done right (Alas Friends) it works quite well.

Mmhm, I agree. I watch Friends pretty much everyday regardless of the fact that I've (probably) seen all the episodes already.

The worst offenders are My Family and My Hero, stuff like that.

Then the show shouldn't be on TV in the first place. If it's not good enough to make you want to laugh without a prompt, it's failed at it's target.

You won't be heard here thats for sure. If you feel seriously about this, take action to get the television networks attention.

Ratings = Money. Poor ratings = Show cancellation.

Friends is recorded in front of a live audience. Either real laughter is used or they match the "canned laughter" with how much the audience actually laugh.

Fools and Horses had "canned laughter", does anyone think less of it?

Quoted for truth!

I can't really think of an example where its used poorly. I mean, I think it was done quite well in Friends, and it didn't make Only Fools and Horses any less funny.

Hmm, need examples.

You won't be heard here thats for sure. If you feel seriously about this, take action to get the television networks attention.

Ratings = Money. Poor ratings = Show cancellation.

:laughing:

I know I won't get anywhere here, or by myself taking it to the TV networks. There's obviously a reason for it, I just don't know it. I just wanted to get people's opinions, as you do on a public forum. :P

I didnt use to be bothered by it, but now most of the comedy programs I watch don't have it the few that do annoy me.

I can't really think of an example where its used poorly. I mean, I think it was done quite well in Friends, and it didn't make Only Fools and Horses any less funny.

Hmm, need examples.

The worst offenders are My Family and My Hero, stuff like that.

I dunno if you've seen the programs at all but it's there after nearly every sentance. My Family isn't quite as bad but it's still near unwatchable.

I thought Friends was in front of a live audience. I'm sure the final episodes or something it was showing on tv once, at the end they were all bowing to the audience.

I do hate the stock sounds they use for nealy everything.

Whats the record here for the most rapid topic in terms of the number of posts within the first few hours of creation, would it be the E3 topic back when the site had a record amount of people log in?

It's what puts me off watching some comedies. If it's done right and no too often it can be positive however

This laughter really annoys me too.

Sometimes it even kills the joke. I used to watch a lot of sitcoms and I'm now totally sick of it.

Imagine for instance the Simpsons with that fake laughter. I think I couldn't stand a whole episode.

Whats the record here for the most rapid topic in terms of the number of posts within the first few hours of creation, would it be the E3 topic back when the site had a record amount of people log in?

I dunno, I thought this one was moving rather swiftly though.

I dunno, I thought this one was moving rather swiftly though.

I remember a certain Anti - LOL campaign that had a shit load of posts in a short space of time.

I remember a certain Anti - LOL campaign that had a shit load of posts in a short space of time.

I remember that, avatars, signatures and all.

It always annoyed me on Scooby Doo, but everything else I have no problem with :heh:

It's even worse when they have cheers and things. I think that happens on Married With Children.