NEurope
Daft

The future of the X-Box 360!?

I want to buy a 360 but I keep hearing about Microsoft going to use smaller chips and stuff like that! Does that men there is going to be a new smaller 360 released? And if so when? Should I buy one now or just wait?

If i remember rightly the new 360s out on the market now have smaller processors than the release date 360s. I'd say go get one now. There's some very good deals on at the moment.

If i remember rightly the new 360s out on the market now have smaller processors than the release date 360s. I'd say go get one now. There's some very good deals on at the moment.

I was wondering if there were plans to release a smaller, less noisier, version (a bit like the PSTwo) because the fan makes an absurdly large noise (yes I won't notice this after a while but my mum will) and its damn huge (especially compared with the Wii, but then again everything is;) )??

What sort of deals do you think are the best, cos I'm really not sure!?

Cheers!:grin:

There will no doubt be another model released, but don't let that put you off playing one right now. There are too many great games to bypass the console at the moment.

My brother just bought a 360, which has lasted 6 days and counting. Id say go for it! Also Microsoft just extended the warranty of all 360's to 1 year, so you cant really go wrong there.

I want to buy a 360 but I keep hearing about Microsoft going to use smaller chips and stuff like that! Does that men there is going to be a new smaller 360 released? And if so when? Should I buy one now or just wait?

Yup, Microsoft is indeed planning to start manufacture CPU's with 65 nanometer process. But what does this mean in layman's terms?

1) CPU is less expensive to produce

2) CPU generates less heat -> needs smaller fan and is more reliable

Original plan was that Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing would start producing new 65 nm CPU's during the next year's first quarter. However, currently it looks like CSM has faced some unexcepted problems with process, and production of new CPUs has been pushed until mid-2007.

But the main question here is that is it worth waiting? Hard to say. It is obvious more reliable and less heat producing CPU would be nice. You can also probably except slight price drop soon after production has started, though Microsoft will probably strategically delay it for holidays. But if it helps, new model won't be physically smaller than current one.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20061225PD211.html

But if it helps, new model won't be physically smaller than current one. l[/url]

Cool! That was one thing I was worried about! (Why buy a DS when you can buy a DS Lite! :smile: ) Well I think I am pretty much sold...now I just need to find a good deal/bundle! Thanks for all the help guys!

Just one more question. Does the noise the console make annoy you? and are there any ways to quieten it?

the new cpu consoles are out in feburary.

Are you sure? Do you have a source for that because it think think they are coming out later?!:hmm:

Whatever deal you get, make sure Gears of War is included in it. What other types of games do you like?

the new cpu consoles are out in feburary.

*me slaps Caris* Did you read my post at all? :p

Just one more question. Does the noise the console make annoy you? and are there any ways to quieten it?

Well, X360 is noisier than original Xbox. It doesn't annoy me*, but I know quite few people who think it is way too loud. And no, at least I don't know any way to make it quieter without seriously compromising CPU's ventilation.

* But I do work with computers 8 hours a day, so I'm not probably best guy to say what is noisy and what is not.

*me slaps Caris* Did you read my post at all? :p[/i]

Thats what I though!:laughing:

Another thing that kind of bugs me is that Wi-Fi isn't included, unlike thw Wii (And even the DS!) and £60 is really quite pricy, should be half the price!

If I want to run it in HD do I ned any extra cables? (I know these questions are probably stupid but if I'm gonna spend the money I want to know I am buying the correct stuff!:heh: )

Thats what I though!:laughing:

Another thing that kind of bugs me is that Wi-Fi isn't included, unlike thw Wii (And even the DS!) and £60 is really quite pricy, should be half the price!

If I want to run it in HD do I ned any extra cables? (I know these questions are probably stupid but if I'm gonna spend the money I want to know I am buying the correct stuff!:heh: )

Only if you get the core pack I think. HD cables are included with the premium pack.

*me slaps Caris* Did you read my post at all? :p

Well, X360 is noisier than original Xbox. It doesn't annoy me*, but I know quite few people who think it is way too loud. And no, at least I don't know any way to make it quieter without seriously compromising CPU's ventilation.

* But I do work with computers 8 hours a day, so I'm not probably best guy to say what is noisy and what is not.

It is a bit annoying I find, but only when a disc is in. It's fine when playing DVDs but when 360 discs are in its very loud. I noticed it most playing Oblivion, and it's worse at night when you've got the tv quieter.

Component cables are included in preminium pack. And don't even consider buying core pack, as it is fucking rip-off. :)

Yea cool! I was the Premium pack all the way as far as I was concerned! Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna get the Premium pack, which comes with an extra wireless controller, with GoW and PGR3 for £300. I'm also gonna get Table Tennis for £15, the wireless adapter £60 and Viva Pinata for £40. All from Play.com since if I get it from one place its more convenient!

What do think, good price?

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Very good price. Remember also that many X360 games are also region free, with US or Asian versions* working on PAL console. I'm not sure that do you know this, but most X360's Asian copies are completely identical to their US counterparts, but retail for only 30 dollars. If you are interested in importing games, both Play-Asia and Videogameplus.ca are keeping list of region free X360 titles on their website.

* Japanese versions have nearly always regionlock for some reason...

Very good price. Remember also that many X360 games are also region free, with US or Asian versions* working on PAL console. I'm not sure that do you know this, but most X360's Asian copies are completely identical to their US counterparts, but retail for only 30 dollars. If you are interested in importing games, both Play-Asia and Videogameplus.ca are keeping list of region free X360 titles on their website.

* Japanese versions have nearly always regionlock for some reason...

Holy Sh*t! I completely forgot about that! Thats absolutly awesome!!! (It doesn't effect x-box live play if you import a foreign game, does it?) I think ill just buy my first couple of gmes from here to start off with! That looks after the mediocer first year for the Wii!:grin:

Yea cool! I was the Premium pack all the way as far as I was concerned! Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna get the Premium pack, which comes with an extra wireless controller, with GoW and PGR3 for £300. I'm also gonna get Table Tennis for £15, the wireless adapter £60 and Viva Pinata for £40. All from Play.com since if I get it from one place its more convenient!

Thanks again everyone for your help!

That's exactly what I would have recommended.

One last question, I hope! What is the best cable to connect the 360 to a 42" HDTV? Is it the one that comes in the with the 360 or are there ones which would be more suitable for my TV?

One last question, I hope! What is the best cable to connect the 360 to a 42" HDTV? Is it the one that comes in the with the 360 or are there ones which would be more suitable for my TV?

As X360 doesn't have HDMI port, best way to connect your console is via component cable (which comes with preminium package).

I may buy one when it gets cheaper. Not enough games interest me at the moment to spend 400€

As X360 doesn't have HDMI port, best way to connect your console is via component cable (which comes with preminium package).

Great I'm ready to order it, which i'll do on the 1st/2nd of Jan! C ya all online soon! Damn I'm excited!

My brother just bought a 360, which has lasted 6 days and counting. Id say go for it! Also Microsoft just extended the warranty of all 360's to 1 year, so you cant really go wrong there.

All electronics in the EU come with a standard 1 year back to base warranty already...

Don't get the £60 wireless thingy, its a rip off, you can get much cheaper ones for like £20-40 but are 3rd partyy, byt can be used on any console with an ethernet port. They work just fine though.