NEurope
KKOB

Best Final Fantasy Game?

How come there isn't a thread about this?

With all the recent GBA/DS releases of the first 6 Final Fantasy games, and with XII coming soon and spreading its love on DS, and XIII games popping up all over the place what better time is there to look back and pick out the best games and the best moments from the Final Fantasy series of games.

FF IX is my fave Final Fantasy game just because it has the most charm out of all of them.

do people think VII and FF Tactics are over praised?

Final Fantasy VIII. One of my all time favs.

really? i was thinking of starting it again but people have put me off it . . . i only got as far as the end of the first disc the first time i played it

In my opinion, VIII had the best storyline, the best system, and the best ff world. It was also challenging, demanding you to train your squad for hours to get them in top notch for the big battles that reaped huge reward in terms of satisfaction. It was also one of the first games to wow me in terms of graphics.

You won't regret playing it again, the game gets much better past the 1st disc.

In my opinion, VIII had the best storyline, the best system, and the best ff world. It was also challenging, demanding you to train your squad for hours to get them in top notch for the big battles that reaped huge reward in terms of satisfaction. It was also one of the first games to wow me in terms of graphics.

You won't regret playing it again, the game gets much better past the 1st disc.

i was hoping for that, i used to be really good at the card game in VIII.

i'm going to start again in about 20 mins time :D

Good good, enjoy the opening cutscene for me, I'm going to bed now, cheerio.

FF7

Purely because when I was 7-8 I used to watch my 13 year old neighbour play it. And love the chobocos. Or watever there called. Haven't really played any of the others. Except crystal chronocals. Meh my spelling is shite.

i find it a bit dull when people just say FF VII and don't say why, maybe we should exclude FF VII from being discussed cos its always talked about and voted the best FF game yadda yadda yadda. . .

FFVI is probably the most balanced and playable game in the series. The in-game graphics hold up better than VII, the story is not as complex, but still a great one, the music is brilliant, the battles are quick turn-based perfection and everything just works.

I liked VII for its story and cutscenes but if you strip those things away, your left with a wierd mixture of decent music, ugly confusing graphics, and annoying load times

What held up ff7 was that it was just an amazing story with amazing characters.

The system also classic, materia was a great way of subtly altering gameplay. I went through a whole playthrough before I noticed that equiped materia affected stats. But back then, I was just an idiot kid.

Also what makes it a great game is its sidequests. Fighting the weapons, gathering the summons, ultimate weapons just having you playing for ages.

I also didn't have the annoying load times cause I've got it for the pc but now I have compatibility issues but after downloading for a couple of hours I have some pretty cool enhancements.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying ff7 is my fav ff, but it does deserve all the credit it gets.

Excellent topic Takeo

For me it has to be FFVIII all the way. The story, although sappy, was amazing and I really related to Squalls character. Many people hated the Junction System but I found it really inventive and quite deep. I mean you could change your tatctics just by swicthing the magic you had on a character. Also this has one of the best openings in any game ever.

An interesting point was raised on a 1UP special about the worst sequels ever made and FFVIII was pointed out as one of them. The reason being that FFVII was the first RPG/FF game that many had played and people expected FFVIII to play exactly the same ass they werent aware that FF games usually change in each edition. This put many people of FFVIII and I was one of them when I first played it. It wasnt til I sat down and played it for a 2nd time and finished the game that I came to truely see how great it was/is.

Oh and the card game is the best mini game in any FF game, yes including Blitz Ball!

VIII is the best. I must have played through it about 20 times, twice doing everything possible. It's that good. I guess people who say VII is the best think of it the same way certain people think of ocarina of Time. But really, when it comes to Final Fantasy VII-X you can't go wrong, they're all up there with the best games ever released. Don't get X-2, though. It just stinks.

I've only played the Crystal Chronicles, which is great. So I'll have to say that. But I reckon FF7 will go down as the BIG ONE! Just look over on Gamefaqs, that one game has given rise to two of the most popular characters of all time (in their annual character battle).

The others are Link, Mario and Samus.

Final Fantasy VII.

It contained an awesome cast of characters. A classic villian who was likable. Materia, which was the best way in any FF game to add magic and stats to characters. Top story. Good limit break system (None of that crap trance from IX, "YES LETS ACTIVATE AFTER WE HAVE KILLED THEM") Memorable tunes (Cosmo Canyon!) It's just a well thought out and well produced RPG, that on the bonus side opened up RPGs to the western market.

and I really related to Squalls character.
Do you spend most of your time saying "..."?

Anyway,

VII, like most other people, is my favourite. Yeah, the fanboys can be irritating and it tops all of the polls, and there seems to be some sort of stigma nowadays with liking the game for some reason, but ignore all that and just concentrate on the game itself. To me, the story and cast of characters is the strongest out of the lot. The soundtrack is fantastic. The materia system is great. And Cid is awesome.

VIII had some good moments, but I found the storyline to be overly sappy, and I didn't like it's cast of characters - most of the time was spent wanting to punch Squall and Rinoa in the face. The magic system was also broken in my opinion, as you could keep drawing magic out of the same enemy over and over again. The soundtrack was also less than stellar, I could name you 3 or 4 tracks that were memorable to me compared to FF7's several dozen.

IX is better than VIII, but what kills it for me is how stupid the story gets past the 3rd or so disc, culminating in a final boss battle with an enemy that has absolutely nothing to do with the story. Also Kuja was a crappy villain. Stupid Trance system as noted by Dom. It redeems itself however with it's cast of main characters - Steiner, Vivi and Quina were extremely likeable. Also had a good soundtrack.

X.. I never even beat it. I lost track of what the fuck was going on by the time I got to Zanarkand. There weren't many characters I liked either, I think Wakka was the only one.

Not played X-2 or XI, and i'm waiting on a PAL release for XII.

Final Fantasy III. VII is overrated, but is the best game of all time according to gamefaqs.com when they conducted the poll a few years back, opinions would probably differ a bit now though...

Final Fantasy III. VII is overrated, but is the best game of all time according to gamefaqs.com when they conducted the poll a few years back, opinions would probably differ a bit now though...

What does the bible, sorry, gamerankings, say?

As for me, I never got into final fantasy. I played VII briefly, but gave up pretty soon. I should revisit it sometime, since, well, the whole series is rather hyped.

Do you spend most of your time saying "..."?

Nah I was a moody SOB who didnt want anyones help and just wanted to be left alone to get on with things myself.

Extensively, I've only played VII, X and XII and I have to say XII by a million miles

I'm waiting for FF:CC DS, looks like it could be the best FF ever (well, the first one I like). I just don't like normal FF games (combat system is the main reason, nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it)