NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Double Hand Transplant Surgery Success!

Whoa, they really can do anything these days.

A woman who became the first in the world to receive a double hand transplant has left hospital.

A team of surgeons at Hospital La Fe in Valencia carried out the pioneering operation.

Alba Lucia, 47, originally from Columbia, who had the 10-hour operation on November 30, said she was "very happy and enormously satisfied".

Both her original hands were amputated after an explosion in her student chemistry lab nearly 30 years ago.

They look beautiful

Alba Lucia

Her new limbs came from a woman who was declared brain dead following an accident.

The donor's arms were removed from above the elbow, and the severed limbs were cooled and transported to Hospital La Fe in less than five hours.

A team of more than 10 medical professionals, including surgeons and anaesthetists, then worked to attach them to Alba's arms.

Both transplants were carried out simultaneously.

First, Alba's forearms had to be adjusted to match the size of the donor limbs.

Bones were fixed with metal plates and screws, and microscopic surgery was used to attached the arteries, veins and nerves.

After the operation, when she saw her new hands for the first time, Ms Lucia said: "They look beautiful."

Source: BBC

That's some really crazy stuff.

Ethically, should we even be allowed to do this?

So did they kill the brain dead person or just rob their hands? You're not actually dead if you're just brain dead are you?

If the brain dead person/their family had made it clear that they don't want to be kept alive if in a brain dead state and if they had a donor card or whatever then I don't see the problem with it. It's a bit freaky though.

Wouldn't it be funny if they misplaced the hand and mixed the right with the left and vice-versa? Yeah, that would be awesome.

Whenever I heard of things like this, I can't help but think 'Do they match?'. I mean skin wise, are they the same colour, and if not how do they blend something like that in?

I think these sorts of things are quite extreme, and I'm not sure where I stand on the ethics of it. I mean, why shouldn't someone who needs hands get the same treament and someone who needs a heart/kidney/insert other vital organ here? Then again, all this healing and such of sick people. I don't mean to sound really harsh, but sometimes I think we should just let them die. What's it doing to evolution of the human race and survival of the fittest? Of course, if I was in any situation where I needed it, or my family, I'd totally change my tune.

"Hi, we'll just be taking those limbs from your relative. Thanks!"

Nah, but this is pretty complex shit. Attaching blood vessels and nerve endings is incredibly difficult. I wonder if she'll ever get full movement.

Argh what the... I wouldn't be able to handle that - having someone else's hands! *shudders*

I was having a conversation with someone at uni about getting a persons feelings and memories from transplanted hearts. I wonder if you could get a persons memories from their hands?

Probably not.

I was having a conversation with someone at uni about getting a persons feelings and memories from transplanted hearts. I wonder if you could get a persons memories from their hands?

Probably not.

OFCOURSE!!!

Just as long as you inherit your fathers spirit medium powers

Ohh, and can they attach hands at the end of your legs instead of feet? In my opinion that was a step back in evolution.

ewwww, those hands could have been anywhere

Hahahah, I didn't think of that! When you put it that way...yuck. :heh:

If someone close to me died and there was talk about donating parts of their body, I'm not sure how I'd deal with this.

On the one hand, it's great because it really does help someone else. I bet this woman is happy to be able to do stuff that she couldn't before. E.g. picking up stuff..because she didn't have hands to do that before.

But, on the other hand (lmfao, I've only just noticed what I was saying. Oh, the irony)..on the other hand, I dunno if I'd be able to deal with the fact that someone was using the parts of my dead loved one. What a mind job. :heh:

ethics here are complex. If memory serves, and 21 grams has any truth in the script, the family of any organ donor like this is never told who got the organ. the emotional head fuckery would be massive if you knew somebody had your lovers heart in their chest, no?

in all though, I think this kind of thing is pretty good stuff. not to sound too harsh- it's not like they need it anymore. Also, families that stop organ donation are, in my opinion, just wrong. It's selfish and cruel to deny somebody the help they desperately need to live just because you want some kind of...physical completeness to a burial.

Hahahah, I didn't think of that! When you put it that way...yuck. :heh:

If someone close to me died and there was talk about donating parts of their body, I'm not sure how I'd deal with this.

On the one hand, it's great because it really does help someone else. I bet this woman is happy to be able to do stuff that she couldn't before. E.g. picking up stuff..because she didn't have hands to do that before.

But, on the other hand (lmfao, I've only just noticed what I was saying. Oh, the irony)..on the other hand, I dunno if I'd be able to deal with the fact that someone was using the parts of my dead loved one. What a mind job. :heh:

There's a bit of a difference between organs and limbs, a rather shallow one in my opinion. I mean, when someone dies and their organs are donated, I wouldn't mind so much, but if you were cutting bits off their body like their hands, practically mutiliating this person, well, I think it's a different matter. I know this seems extreme, but I reckon thats the way people would see it. Personally, when I die, I'd love for as much of me to go to good causes as possible, I sure as hell won't be using it no more.

Thing is about organ donation, you can't know that your shit won't be wasted. I'll donate it all but I'm still skeptical.

I guess its less of a waste than if they went about making her bionic arms, and letting the other/dead ones rot or burn..

There's a bit of a difference between organs and limbs, a rather shallow one in my opinion. I mean, when someone dies and their organs are donated, I wouldn't mind so much, but if you were cutting bits off their body like their hands, practically mutiliating this person, well, I think it's a different matter. I know this seems extreme, but I reckon thats the way people would see it. Personally, when I die, I'd love for as much of me to go to good causes as possible, I sure as hell won't be using it no more.

Yeah, there is a difference. I think we all know there is, but just describing why its an issue is fairly difficult, imo.

Personally, I'd like to be able to make a difference. If I died, and parts of my body were used to help someone else, then it would be good. But, surely thats gotta have an effect on people I know. I dunno what I'm going on about now. :heh:

Thing is about organ donation, you can't know that your shit won't be wasted. I'll donate it all but I'm still skeptical.

So, do you think you should (or your family should) be able to know the person's identity when you donate stuff to them?

Can i have your gigantic penis?

It's fair that my organs shoud go up for shotgun, so Booker you can have it if you're genuinely in need.

On the family thing, I'd talk to them about it and if they didn't like it then I'd make it so they couldn't find out. If they were okay though, it's all fine.

Sign in to follow this