NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Wolf

Parental Control

I'm getting my Wii + Zelda tomorrow. Anyway, I'm 15 and I want to play all Wii games I can. With the parental control will I have to fake my age to be able to play games rated 16+?

I'm getting my Wii + Zelda tomorrow. Anyway, I'm 15 and I want to play all Wii games I can. With the parental control will I have to fake my age to be able to play games rated 16+?
You can choose whether parental control is even on or not. Also games are not legally enforced, only suggested guidelines. In short, no you won't.

Can anyone tell me what comes up if you have parental controls on and play an 18+ game? What does the Wii say? Does it prompt you to enter a password to play?

In that case, I could very well use it as a way to keep my family and friends from playing games I don't want them to play. :laughing:

Just insert your parents drivers license or passport into the slot loading drive (details facing downwards) as you would with a CD.

That will register you as able to play 18+ games and buy 18+ rated virtual console titles.

Hope that helps.

You can choose whether parental control is even on or not. Also games are not legally enforced, only suggested guidelines. In short, no you won't.

in canada its illegal to buy M and A games withought being 17 or 18 respectively

since we have esrb in north america i'll just explain it compared to movie ratings

the first is C it means early childhood (3+) it has no equivilent movie rating

the next is E (5+) this is equal to general

then we have E 10+ its like pg

then theres T (13+) PG 13

then M (17+) that would be R

then of coarse A (18+) (or maybe 21+ i'm not sure) any way thats equivilent to X

Here's how parental controls work:

First when you choose to activate them, you will be asked for a 4-digit pin. After that you then get to choose which types of games you decide to block. If you choose to block all 11+ games, games rated above it (ie 16+, 18+) will also be blocked.

So let's say you've blocked 18+ games. When you insert an 18+ game into the console (and select it on the disc channel) you will be asked for the 4-digit pin. Enter the pin correctly and voila!

I think you also need the pin to change the parental controls settings.

PS: I don't think parental controls works for gamecube games.

In Europe, consider the ratings as guidelines. The parents should watch over their children at any time and musn't allow them to buy games not suitable for their age. If they allow it, that's their fault. The Parental Controls for Wii just promt you to enter your Pin to prove you're the administrator. It's assumed that the administrator is over 18, because you're not allowed to 'accept license' for software if you're under that age.

About that "insert your passport into the slot" - it would be safer if you would let your digital passport insert into the SD card reader. just a thought, though, the manual doesn't mention it.

Parental controls don't work on GameCube games because the discs don't have any data about the appropriate age for the games. It's just not on the disc.

in canada its illegal to buy M and A games withought being 17 or 18 respectively

Well, that sucks, but the OP lives in Berkshire, UK :heh:

Just insert your parents drivers license or passport into the slot loading drive (details facing downwards) as you would with a CD.

That will register you as able to play 18+ games and buy 18+ rated virtual console titles.

Hope that helps.

The Wii also accepts bribes for being able to play M-rated games. If you see a "Your age is insufficient to play this game", just pop a coin inside the SD slot.

Works like a charm.

wiicoinjp2.png

since we have esrb in north america i'll just explain it compared to movie ratings

the first is C it means early childhood (3+) it has no equivilent movie rating

the next is E (5+) this is equal to general

then we have E 10+ its like pg

then theres T (13+) PG 13

then M (17+) that would be R

then of coarse A (18+) (or maybe 21+ i'm not sure) any way thats equivilent to X

well thats not how it works here. Most games have a PGEI rating which run up to 18+ but these are only recommended guidelines... you cannot refuse somebody sale of them. then games have 12,15,18 ratings like the film ratings, which are the law and its illegal to provide youngsters with them.

the parental controls block both kinds of ratings...

Sign in to follow this