NEurope
The3rdChildren

Gremlins - Channel 4 @ 4:05pm TODAY (Saturday)

Just wanted to toss a friend

:o:O!!!

a friendly reminder to anyone mooching around at 4pm today without anything genuinely exciting to do that the greatest movie ever made is airing on Channel 4 today.[/Quote]

Ahhh.

Hehehe, I cheered myself up.

Wasn't Love actually only on a few weeks ago?

Anyway, its been years since I've seen the first Gremlins film. I love the second. Looks like i've missed some of the first now anyway. :(

I'm watching it, but to be honest, if I'd known about Five Children and It being on, I'd have watched that.

For anyone who doesn't/hasn't heard of it, you probably might remember a cbbc drama when you was little about a little sort of ugly looking but very friendly psammead(a sand fairy) who granted children wishes that lasted til the end of the day. They apparently made a film about it a few years ago, which is on bbc1 now but started at like 3. It's pretty good for a novel written in 1902.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_And_It

Hmm, apparently he was a grumpy little fairy, which sounds more true. Is there a topic anywhere for talking about all those shows you watched when you was a kid?

The only bad thing about putting a film like this on in the afternoon is that it gets cut to shit. Most of the good violence is gone :(

Dammit! I fell asleep halfway through the film and only just woke up 5 minutes ago, that is made of pure suck. I don't recall ever having seen the film before neither, I think I seen Gremlins 2 and remembered it as the first.

So they edited it? I had to do some stuff and missed it, but hearing the usual stuff was cut I'm not really sad to have not caught it. I'll be watching it tomorrow night anyway.

I assume cuts were... Billy's mom killing a Gremlin with the butcher's knife, microwave stuff, Pete cutting a string of christmas lights with a Gremlin on them with a pair of scissors and the majority of Stripe's meltdown?

Gays.

I prefer the sequel, I'll be tuning in tomorrow instead. :hehe:

Yeah me too although the I still love the original.

Start spreading the news...

BA BA BA BA BA, BA!

I'm leaving today!

BA BA BA BA, BA BA!

We are a great big part of it! New York, NEW YOOOORK!

Christopher Lee is in the sequel aswell which gives it classic status.

I can appreciate Gremlins 2 on a more satirical and technical level, but nothing will ever beat the original for me. It was tied up so beautifully and so unique a concept that making a sequel meant they could only really go down a more comedy route. It's kind of a bonus in that you can disregard if you want to, or take it for what it is - a genuinely entertaining, quirky sequel to a true classic.

Regardless of what's good and bad about Gremlins 2, the Gremlin/Mogwai puppets themselves are reason enough to watch. Absolutely amazing.

Well I watched it, and loved it, and suprsingly it really got me in the mood for Christmas.

So they edited it? I had to do some stuff and missed it, but hearing the usual stuff was cut I'm not really sad to have not caught it. I'll be watching it tomorrow night anyway.

I assume cuts were... Billy's mom killing a Gremlin with the butcher's knife, microwave stuff, Pete cutting a string of christmas lights with a Gremlin on them with a pair of scissors and the majority of Stripe's meltdown?

Gays.

Yeh man ive never seen it before. But I thought there were cuts as it was just so crap they didnt show those bits. Billys mum rocks lol.

Sadly I missed the 2nd half but looks an absoulute ace film. Your usually pretty spot on when it comes to good things to watch so thanks again

the3rdchildren!

Sadly I missed the 2nd half but looks an absoulute ace film. Your usually pretty spot on when it comes to good things to watch so thanks again the3rdchildren!

I'm just a nerd with an unhealthy Gremlins obsession man. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, try to catch Gremlins 2 tomorrow for another dose of Joe Dante directed fun.

is the entire kitchen scene uncut. They cut a lot of this out when I saw it at 5pm on TV before, disappointingly. I can't find the meltdown scene at the end, which is pretty horrible.

Dogtown is on? Man i am gonna have to watch that.

I d8idn't get to watch Gremlins today. I was out having a SOCIAL LIFE.

Dogtown is on? Man i am gonna have to watch that.

I d8idn't get to watch Gremlins today. I was out having a SOCIAL LIFE.

What are you implying?

I'm still pining for a Gremlins 3. The guy wanted to do it, but the "company" wanted CGI and he said no.

Why does everything have to be CGIed? Plenty of films are fine without it. Including the original Gremlins films.

If they did another Gremlins... hell, they can't do CGI. It's all about the puppetry in my opinion. A Gremlin isn't a Gremlin unless it has someone's hand right up it's ass.

Puppet movies have a certain charm to them. Puppet Yoda, whilst less animated, is always cooler than CGI Yoda, for example. Plus you have all the paintwork and construction of the puppets that makes them fascinating. Sure, an equal amount of work, if not more, goes into CGI... but it doesn't change the fact there is no hand in ass action and the tacky puppet movement we all love.

Personally I feel the only good thing that could come from a new Gremlins movie is the fact I can devote my existence to working on it and perhaps cool merchandise/props and of course the advanced level of animatronics they'd produce today. The Chucky movies are still all great and they still use puppets at the core and add some CGI effects in afterwards.

There's some about CGI that I just don't like. It seems...to easy, in effect.

Before long, we're never going to have stunts in a film, as the scenes can just be recreated that way.

There's something really impressive about seeing puppets or something like Superman flying in the original films. It's authentic, in a way.

There's some about CGI that I just don't like. It seems...to easy, in effect.

Before long, we're never going to have stunts in a film, as the scenes can just be recreated that way.

There's something really impressive about seeing puppets or something like Superman flying in the original films. It's authentic, in a way.

Yeah, I agree. I think part of what makes things amazing in old film is the fact they COULD accomplish something realistic via trickery/puppets etc. CGI makes anything possible, so it's less surprising to see something fantastic in movies nowadays.

I mean... seeing the Super Gremlin animatronic in the kitchen scene in Gremlins one is always awesome because you can imagine just how complex it's operation was for that particular scene. If it was CGI, they wouldn't have had the breakdowns and mistimings that plagued shooting and kept them retaking over and over. I know it's more time consuming... but in a way it reeks of effort and even, to a strange effect, feels a lot more real.

Tangible will always beat intangible. Sadly the low budget nature of the original Gremlins means most of the puppets that weren't broken or destroyed during production are now a total mess, for example:

IMG_0877.jpg

I spent about 20 minutes just staring at this in Planet Hollywood London the first time I spotted it sitting on the wall in a lonesome corner. It's falling apart, but it's still the greatest thing in the entire restaurant. It is the only thing I have ever seriously contemplating stealing.

Ah yeah I enjoyed viewing the stuff at Planet Hollywood. When I saw the gloves and boots that Stallone wore in Rocky II I was in awe.

You've heard of the comedian Ross Noble before have you Guy? On one of his DVD's theres a great segment where he argues that the Bible can't be the greatest story ever told because Gremlins is.