NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Grebe

Slow speeds

with bittorrent... I realise this may be a touchy subject with all the conflicts about it being illegal and things but I download alot of fansubbed anime and I have a 100k line yet i barely recieve 20k and it takes quite a while.

I have a netgear router and ive read up on the internet but alot of it I dont understand most of it. I did try opening some ports or something but that didnt really work. Maybe im doing it wrong. If anyone can help me that would be cool.

cheers

Edit: I use Azureus, I have tried other aplications but no results.

with bittorrent... I realise this may be a touchy subject with all the conflicts about it being illegal and things but I download alot of fansubbed anime and I have a 100k line yet i barely recieve 20k and it takes quite a while.

I have a netgear router and ive read up on the internet but alot of it I dont understand most of it. I did try opening some ports or something but that didnt really work. Maybe im doing it wrong. If anyone can help me that would be cool.

cheers

Edit: I use Azureus, I have tried other aplications but no results.

Do you use an Anti-Virus at the same time? because i've heard that can effect it, espessially if it's Avast.

*only read this if you are using torrents in a legal and copyright friendly manner*

It depends alot on the torrents; the rate which people can upload, how many people are seeding and downloading the same file, things like that. Try to find good torrents, ones with lots of seeders (above 10 min) and a comparable or smaller number of leechers.

see this http://forums.torrentspy.com/showthread.php?t=24718

Bittorrent downloads are very different from standard downloads, you're downloading the file from lots of different people at the same time and your download speed is limited by their upload speed.

The ISP that you're using can cause problems. Some ISP's throttle the bittorrent traffic as it takes up too much of the bandwidth otherwise. So turning on protocol encryption or something like that (can't remember what it's called in azureus) could help.

And the ISP may be preventing direct connections to your pc.

To configure port forwarding on the router go to http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

choose the router you have, then the application and follow the instructions.

I would try using utorrent instead of azureus, do the port forward test to see if the port is open, if not follow Bogbas link for port forwarding (you'll need to complete the step halfway through to set up a static IP too). When completing the steps, enter any numbers they tell you to then continue on to the next step.

Btw... torrents aren't illegal. You could've just stopped there, why did you have to push your luck by saying you're downloading anime? :heh: Ah well, Jordan's call on whether this thread lives... or dies (*dramatic voice*).

Another thing, if you're line is advertised as 100kb shouldn't the max download be like 10kb/s

You know how if you have a 512k line, you get around 51.2kb/s. 56k - 5.6kb/s etc.

Another thing, if you're line is advertised as 100kb shouldn't the max download be like 10kb/s

You know how if you have a 512k line, you get around 51.2kb/s. 56k - 5.6kb/s etc.

Well it isn't exactly like that. On a 512 line you should get 64Kbytes/s. If any modem would actually be able to get a 56kbit/s connection it should get 7Kbytes/s.

A 5Mbit connection should get 625Kbytes/sec. I have a 3Mbit line and I can get up to 400Kbytes/sec (it should be max 375Kbytes/s, but I'm not complaining ;) )

I've got a 2 megabit connection and I can download at 2 megabits, which is just over 200 kilobytes per second.

I'm sure everyone here who has a 512 kilobit line can download at that speed too.

OK! Port 20084 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

So the port is open.... And my speed test came out just fine. And yeah i know about the downloading off others but the speed I get is constant whatever i download, even if it has over 1000 seeds.

And isnt fansubbed anime legal shorty as it hasnt yet been liscensed? What I always thought...

EDIT: go here if you use Pipex or are experiencing slow speeds... http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=181062

My problem is solved. Apparently traffic shapening was the problem. Im in the right mind to fuck pipex off now. Ive had no problems with them but this is really ridiculous.

Azures?

I jumped that ship months ago in favor of the non-java based Utorrent. I think utorrent is a faster and more stable program, so I suggest using it over azures. Version 1.6 the exe file is only 650KB~! In addition, it still has tons of features.

http://www.utorrent.com/

In addition, I would do what the rest are mentioning as far as port forwarding, but I was also shut off your UPnP(Universal Plug and Play) service on your router as it can cause slowdown problems with your torrents among other internet traffic, and just port forward.

For calculating Internet speed, divide what your ISP says you have by 8 and that should give the maximum speed you can download.

Sign in to follow this