NEurope
Guest Jordan

Has the Wii worked?

I got my mum and dad playing it. At first they didnt know what to do, then they, my mum, got intot he swing of things and started to know how. Now when I ask her sometimes she sometimes says ok or later.

So far everyone I've shown it too has really enjoyed it. My mom wants an online Poker game to come out for it. Which I also want to happen!

I was sitting with my maths tutor and suddenly he bursts out with "I really want one of those Wii things".

It being the last day of school i invited him to my form room in which i had brought my wii into school and set it up on the projecter. When the rest of the class came in most of them had fits of excitment, we had a full scale Wii tornement going on. MANY teachers form all over the school came to have a go, its was surreal.

Considering Wii Sports and Wii Play are outselling Zelda in Japan should be an indication of something.

This also reinforces Nintendo's goal to eliminate Twilight Princess-level development time in favor of cheaper, shorter 'new generation' games.

Something tells me we wont be seeing anymore lengthy masterpieces from Nintendo during the Wii's lifetime

Mario and metroid will be. Of course they won't abandon their fan base. These shorter games are probably to encourage third party developers to jump on the band wagon.

The shorter, more basic games offered in Wii Play and Wii Sports were no doubt produced for the following reasons:

i) they demonstrate the capabilities of the Wii Remote really well - within an hour you can have used the remote as a racquet, a golf club, a gun, a fishing rod or to box, bowl etc.

ii) they are simple to pick up and offer instant satisfaction unlike more involved games that have a steeper learning curve; this means that Nintendo can appeal to those who don't traditionally buy consoles

I think that these games have a different role to play than games like Zelda but they can exist side by side. Playing the tennis in Wii Sports gave me a taster of the capabilities of the new controller and has left me desperate for a full tennis game to come out with more refined features and added depth. It will be a wasted opportunity if we don't see some of these featues worked out more fully in more elaborate games.

I hope we will see developers take the ideas and features of these simple games to a new level in the future, but this was never going to happen for launch. Developers need time to figure out the potential of the new controller so it was odds on that the launch games would consist of party games and ports.

I do think that the future of gaming looks very bright for both old Nintendo fans and new converts alike.

My dad just smashed a lightbulb... the top of the controller's all scratched now :P

Yeah my mum is constantly asking me to play WiiTennis and WiiBoxing with her, she has never played games before except from 15 minutes of Wario on the DS. But yeah she loves it and is even thinking about trying out some 'hardcore' games like RedSteel which clearly aren't aimed at non-gamers. Everyone who comes up my house (quite a lot of people) about 70% are non-gamers and as non-gamers I was really surprised that everyone wanted to play the Wii - they all enjoyed it.

it is working.I mean it came up in a discussion with my teacher in maths class.im 18 and it's popular with people my age.the smae people who thought the gamecube was a joke.

This is very true. Because it's more than just pressing buttons people feel they're more involved what with the movements and everything they thusly feel it's more worth their while rather than sitting there with a control pad doing random tasks.

Tell you what was weird.

Walking my dogs in the park today, when these two old women I always see and talk to, stopped to talk to me and pet the dogs.

One asked me what I was getting for Christmas, so I said Wii, and one said "Ohhh they look brilliant!", then the other one pulled out a newspaper article on it, not quite sure why she was carrying it round but never mind, and then proceeded to tell me about the Breaking Straps and how christmas lights affect the remote.

My feelings, in a word, were.

WTF.

So then she gave me the number to call if I needed my wrist strap changed and then talked to me about what sports are included in the Wii Sports package.

These women are in their eighties.

Bizarre.

I think the Wii has worked, people are talking about it, and plenty of my mates who aren't interested in games want one, and plenty of my mates who do like games want one as well. It's also been dubbed the 'must have' present this christmas by the tabloids, so that ain;t a bad thing. I just hope Nintendo can supply the goods and capitalise.

Nintendinosaur: thats a fantastic story! Im hoping to atleast get my granny to try out some aspect of the thing. She had a blast on Brain Training but just laughed the whole time that it was actually able to understand what she was writing, lol. :hehe:

Oldies playing the Wii would be cool, do you know the film Cocoon? I like it. :smile:

I'm 28 and a few of my mates have not bought a console since the PS1. They always like to take the mick out of me for still playing games, buying new consoles and going on xbox live etc.

But since they played on my Wii, they're phoning up every shop in the region trying to get hold of one.

Really, i feel more ashamed of showing Wii to male non gamers/ non nintendo gamers, because they will just feel its a gimmick.

I was sitting with my maths tutor and suddenly he bursts out with "I really want one of those Wii things".

It being the last day of school i invited him to my form room in which i had brought my wii into school and set it up on the projecter. When the rest of the class came in most of them had fits of excitment, we had a full scale Wii tornement going on. MANY teachers form all over the school came to have a go, its was surreal.

Thats Extreme!!! Why didn't i go to a School/college like yours :cry: now i know why i am the way i am :(

I mean... next they'll talk about sexual molestation with the controller or what?

Cue Daily Star or Sun stories with gratuitous usage of quotes on the lines of:

"He asked if I would like to play with his white Wii / Sex Wii".

Back to the topic....I would say it is working, generally my parents dont play videogames, (My mother dabbles in those 10 billion in one brick game things, but thats her limit), I havent seen my father play a videogame full on since the Binatone went out of fashion.

The Wii has managed to usher in a new era when it manages to get both of them playing Wii play 9 ball against each other whilst I am getting ready to go out.

I wouldn't risk bringing my wii into school. My friend brought his n64 into school once and the whole room used to fill up completely at lunch time, untill someone broke it and stole the game (mario kart 64!).

I wouldn't risk bringing my wii into school. My friend brought his n64 into school once and the whole room used to fill up completely at lunch time, untill someone broke it and stole the game (mario kart 64!).
Speaking of that, this is old news but:

UK Metropolitan Police give away safety warnings with new consoles

Gamers purchasing Wiis in London this morning have been getting a safety warning from the Metropolitan Police in the form of a letter detailing safety guidelines for avoiding would-be muggers.

The safety warning - which is being given away with Wii consoles in London HMV stores - alerts Wii purchasers that their new console is "a highly coveted and exclusive device" and that "as such there could be criminal elements looking to try and take the machine."

"Thieves love an easy target [so] please keep your machine covered up and if you see anything suspicious on your way to the store or coming home then tell somebody," the letter reads.

The notice advises new Wii owners to avoid poorly lit areas on the way home from the shops, plan their routes home and to "walk facing the traffic so that the cars cannot follow you".

You can read the full safety warning in our attached scan - be safe, Wii fans.

screenshot_165648.jpg

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=150860

Answering the topic... yes, it's working :D even them want one.

my 52 year old father whos life revolves around work and i didnt want to tell him i bought it cos hed kill me, came home walked in turned it on and played wii golf!

I was thrilled!

Me and my mom spent almost two hours playing Wii play together yesterday. Awesome.

Well it's definately working! I wouldn't say it's worked yet, but working... yes!

I've got vids on my phone of my Dad and my Mum playing Wii Sports!

My Mum is thinking about getting a Wii for herself for stuff like Wii Sports and Wario Ware (when released).