NEurope
flameboy

Prince of Persia: Rival Swords

What they should do is a game starring Farah, i mean a game with emphacis on archery, how cool would that be with the wiimote. Also Farah is one of the most intersesting female characters in video games and deserves more focus.

Ubisoft says PoP on PSP is better than PoP Wii. :wtf:

1up Interview.

"I've spent a lot of time playing [Prince of Persia] games over the last few years, and Rival Swords for the Wii is by far my favorite," says producer Ben Mattes about his control preference for the series' upcoming Wii debut. Bold words, but could this be one of the few Wii ports (it's based on Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones) that improves on the original?

We're hopeful, so we went to Mattes to find out about Ubisoft's plans for the game, how the controls work, and how it compares with the upcoming PSP port with the same name. Both the Wii and PSP versions of Rival Swords are due out in March.

1UP: We've seen a few attacks from the game shown through the initial screenshots, but can you give us a comprehensive list of the motion control functions in the game?

Ben Mattes: While some Prince actions are tied to the buttons on the Remote/Nunchuck, many of the game's core mechanics are controlled with motion. Speed Kills, for example, use the Nunchuck to initiate [the attack], and timed strikes with the Remote in order to complete the multi-hit combos.

Perhaps my favorite use of the controllers, though, is in the unique Prince/Dark Prince platforming moves. The 'Dagger Plant' move by the Prince has always been a favorite of mine and is now made all the more intuitive and satisfying by the fact that you must strike (in a stabbing fashion) with the Remote in order to plant your dagger in the wall. When using the Dark Prince's Chain Swing ability, too, the motion control is used -- for each swing the Dark Prince does, the player must strike with the Nunchuck. You really need to play it yourself to fully appreciate the intuitiveness of the controls.

1UP: How will camera control work in the game? Similar to Splinter Cell on Wii?

BM: Camera control in POP is hugely important as we want players to be able to maintain a rhythm in their platforming. It is a great sensation when you pull off a string of spectacular acrobatic moves without pause.

Two Thrones' stealth attacks seem like a natural fit for the Wii controls. Click the image above to check out all Rival Swords Wii screens.

We investigated a variety of camera systems but the one that is implemented by default will have you tilting the Remote in order to turn the camera left and right, and using the up and down arrows on the D-pad for vertical camera motion. This system integrates very well with the movement system, which will have you controlling the Prince using the analog joystick on the Nunchuck.

Because some people might prefer to control both horizontal and vertical camera motions the same way, we also included the ability to turn off the 'tilt' system, thereby using the d-pad for everything.

1UP: Heading into this game, what overall goals did the team have for the project?

BM: Our driving ambition throughout the entire project was to create the best possible control system -- something that did justice to the fluidity and impressiveness of the Prince's on-screen movements and gave the player a greater sense of immersion in this incredible world.

I would say we succeeded. I've spent a lot of time playing POP games over the last few years, and Rival Swords for the Wii is by far my favorite.

BLOG: In addition to Rival Swords, Mattes is working on a yet to be announced next-gen game at Ubisoft Montreal. Could it be a next-gen Prince of Persia? Check out his blog by clicking on the above image.

1UP: Are you aiming the game more at players who have played Two Thrones or new players to the series?

BM: I'm really hoping we'll be able to attract both! Fans that have already played The Two Thrones should play Rival Swords because, quite simply, no one has ever played the Prince like this before. I believe very strongly that the controls have added a new level of depth to the game that all fans of the franchise should experience.

Of course, people who didn't play The Two Thrones will find Rival Swords an exciting action-adventure game with gorgeous environments to explore and perilous combat to master.

1UP: Will the game content be the same on Wii and PSP?

BM: No. Despite the fact that the titles share the same name, the PSP version features some unique levels and features (such as a multiplayer "race" mode). [There will be no multiplayer features or added content in the Wii version. -ed.]

1UP: Besides any new content and controls, what have you guys done to make the game fit well on Wii?

BM: One area we spent a lot of time on is running play tests with a diverse group of gamers in order to tweak the difficulty level and ensure it was appropriate given the added physical challenges of Wii gameplay. As such, we expect the game to be very accessible to even novice gamers (on the Wii or otherwise) at the lower difficulty levels, while the hard mode should provide a challenge to those who have already played The Two Thrones.

It's a great game, which i completed on Gamecube.

HOWEVER, the remote and nunchuck controls look very poor. The video on cubed3, literally shows that all you do is shake both nunchuck and wii-mote up and down in nearly everything.

Tacked on indeed.

Still, if you haven't played it....surely the controls what ruin what is a fantastic game? They just weren't needed...at all. :)

Can we have the New POP, please Ubisoft? I wonder how that is looking....

If it was a compilation of the three games on the Wii, I would've bought it. One game with new controls doesn't provide enough content though, especially considering it's a port. I already own the trilogy on GameCube so it's really not worth it.

Ubisoft'd better put a lot of effort in Red Steel 2, because this porting craze they're into is getting tiring.

EDIT: Just seen the vid. The controls look really promising :smile:

LOL at that comic!! But I was watching the gameplay footage that IGN have uploaded there and never having played The Two Thrones on the previous consoles, I am very interested in this game. I'll probably get this.

Well i'm listening to the IGN wii-kly atm, and matt and Bozon say it has awful controls and is worse than the GC games. Apparantly the camera isn't too great either...

Well i'm listening to the IGN wii-kly atm, and matt and Bozon say it has awful controls and is worse than the GC games. Apparantly the camera isn't too great either...

sounds like ubisoft have done another great job then.

thing thats annoying is you think they would have noticed that their two best selling wii games are the original ones red steel and rayman (red steel was even the second highest selling wii game, doubt that is the case now though), but what do they do? instead of concerntrating on more new IP's they just keep rehashing the same tripe over and over again...

Hmm, not quite what I read on Matt's review... He says the controls are very responsive in combat and platforming and his only grudge is with the camera really. The "tilt the remote" thing.

Also, this passage from his review just strikes me as making very little sense:

"Thankfully, as an alternative, you can use the Wii remote's D-Pad, which is a much better solution. However, even that presents problems because you'll find yourself thumbing from the D-Pad to control the camera and the A button to make Prince jump - both actions cannot be performed simultaneously."

Now, I have to ask.... can both those actions be performed simultaneously on the GC, where jump is A and camera is C-stick? I think not, so why would he even mention this? Seems like a misdirection to me.

well this game sucks. Who says we should just ban ubisoft from making wii games? I know nobody is making me buy these but it still pisses me off

What's with Ubisoft being poo all of a sudden... I thought their games last-gen were generally fantastic, this gen they seem to be going the way of the old EA...

...I say old EA because EA have ben great on the Wii, the one third party that actually do put effort into the controls, granted not as much effort as we'd like just yet, but effort none the less!

Come on Ubi, after reading the review and watching vids there's no way I'm picking up this!

..well.. I got this today for my birthday (a present from my girl's parents!)

It took a couple of minutes to get used to after being used to the Prince of Persia games on the GC but I have to say- I love it so far.

I hadn't played Two Thrones so retreading old ground wasn't a problem for me. I have Sands of Time and Warrior Within and, if anything, I'm glad of the new controls to add a bit of freshness to it for me, a bit of a change and I genuinly love it- Going in for stealth kills and ramming your sword into the enemy.. or jamming your knife into the wall to stop yourself from falling.

A stick would have been nice for camera control, sure.. but I'm getting to grips with using the D-Pad for that and even twisting the remote is feeling quite natural now as I walk round corners etc.. the camera is most definitely not game-ruining.

If anyone hasn't played Two Thrones/Rival swords and was maybe put off by comments and reviews then I would suggest maybe having a rethink, especially if you like the previous games!

A stick would have been nice for camera control, sure.. but I'm getting to grips with using the D-Pad for that and even twisting the remote is feeling quite natural now as I walk round corners etc.. the camera is most definitely not game-ruining.

That is one thing that EDGE commented on, that this is potentially a game that highlights the lack of 2 analogue sticks...I mean fair enough you use the nunchuk to move and the wiimote for weapons etc..leaving only the D-Pad to control the camera, something we seemingly have moved on from with the abandonment of the N64 C buttons and the creation of the C stick, maybe third party add ons like this:

492576292_c5e4ef9881.jpg

could become more common....or maybe we could see an enhanced wiimote with such an improvement one day?!

I think an analogue stick on the remote would make it look more complicated and perhaps put people off.. and maybe wouldn't work so great when the remote is turned sideways for games..

As for that thing you just posted, I dont think it would be any help at all.. if anything, it would probably be worse.

You've also got to look at other games (like Mario Strikers and Excite Truck for instance) which use the D-Pad as a button. The analogue stick probably wouldn't feel as good..

In the context of this game, it's not toatally horrendous and you can get used to it easy enough. The minus button centres the camera behind you when you need it anyway.

Also, I was having trouble putting the game down.. I kept saying I'll go after the next save fountain.. for about 4 times :heh:

Yeah I dont think it would work as well in its side with an analogue stick... using the - button for camera isn't ideal...

Well, i won't be getting this game mainly for the reason that i already have it on the GC under the name Two Thrones. It is good though for the new gamers who never played it on the GC.

And using the - button for camera isn't too good at all, looking at the above pic of the attachment might make it easier to control some parts of the game.