NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ten10

Jack Thompson's game scenario

Jack Thompson Proposes a 'Modest' Game

Thompson attempts to give the gaming industry a taste of their own medicine with his own idea for a new video game.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - Jack Thompson, our favorite Florida Attourney, has taken a new approach to his attack on the video game industry. Mr. Thompson has made A Modest Video Game Proposal, as he has titled it, and requests that a video game he thought up be made a reality. He has said he will give $10,000 to the chairman of Take-Two Interactive, Paul Eibeler's, favorite charity if the game is made. His scenario is as follows:

The game will feature the distraught Osaki Kim (O.K., as Thompson refers to him). O.K. has just suffered the loss of his son, who was "beaten to death with a baseball bat by a 14-year-old gamer." The murderer "obsessively played a violent video game in which one of the favored ways of killing is with a bat." The boy was "only" sentenced to life in prison, even after proof that there was a connection between the game and the murder were given.

O.K. is going on a rampage, killing everyone he can who is associated with the game that caused his son to be murdered. He targets a "Paula Eibel" who is chairman of the company "Take This" (how original), as well as game distributors, lawyers, and even the E3 expo.

At the end of his scenario, Thompson states:

"How about it, video game industry? I've got the check and you've got the tech. It's all a fantasy, right? No harm can come from such a game, right? Go ahead, video game moguls. Target yourselves as you target others. I dare you."

Stay tuned for rest of this saga, as there are sure to be responses from those in the industry.

I'm sure if this game for some strange reason was made Jack Thompson would rant about it. If it were me I would make the 14yr old kid in the likeness of Thompson.

Article here

Jack Thompson is a douche bag

He's spent a career building bank on back woods kind of bible thumping and book burning logic. In 1989 he was responsible for the first decency fines ever levied by the Federal Communications Commission-- he led the 2 Live Crew federal obscenity trial, which resulted in the first verdict in United States history to find a sound recording to be obscene. Granted it was in Dade County, Florida, but still. And along with his buddy Charlton Heston (of NRA fame), Thompson persuaded Time Warner to pull "Cop Killer" from Ice T's 1992 Bodycount album.

So I'm writing this op/ed piece for http://www.gamershell.com/ about videogames and violence, because Thompson renewed his crusade last week by suing Sony, Take Two (publisher of Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City), Gamestop and Walmart for $300 million. He's saying they all played a roll in training Devin Thompson to go on a carjacking kill spree in June of 2003. Devin Thomposon is accused of killing 3 cops.

Jack Thompson, the douchebag right-wing attorney, has a Web site where he urges people to contact him about violent video games. So I emailed him to try and get his side for the story I was writing. Here's the exchange:

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:11 PM

Subject: interview questions

Jack, I'm working on an article about video game violence. I've read alot about your crusades against video games and the Devin Thompson trial and wanted to get you to clarify your position for me. With Thompson, do you believe that he would not have committed these murders had he not played these games? Is there a law in Alabamma that forbids retailers from selling M-rated games to minors? Do you have as much of a problem with less realistic violence, like with games from the 1980s? What about Dungeons and Dragons, which was demonized in the 80s and blamed for several youth murders and suicides? What about violent sports game simulations; hockey, football, boxing, wrestling? How much consideration do you give to the idea that the responsibility for shielding kids from violence should lie with the parents instead of game developers or retailers? I need to get this story in over the next few days, so please email me back soon. Feel free to call me at 201-239-0449 if you need more details. Thanks,Shaun McCormack

To: shaunmccormack

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:14 PM

Subject: Re: interview questions

kiss the game industry good-bye

To: Jack Thompson

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:27 PM

do you care to answer any of my questions?

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:26 PM

nope

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:39 PM

why do you have a web site urging people to contact you if you don't want to talk about this stuff?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:14 AM

read again whom I want to have contact me. have the games so disabled your frontal lobes that you can't understand the site?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:23 PM

"This site's purpose is to give you the means to contact Miami attorney Jack Thompson if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, including violent video games." I'm writing about Devin Thompson and the three officers he allegedly killed. In your opinion, don't these people fall under the umbrella of "someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment"? Why are you resorting to personal attacks?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:36 PM

it says if you are harmed. bug off

I say the 14yr old kid should be beat every day with a baseball bat for the rest of his life as punishment, jail isn't punishment enough!

He's fucking crazy!!! He's the one obsessed with violence by the sounds of it. Lock him up before he hurts himself.

I find it very sad that gamers who sent non-offending and reasonable emails get such stupid and childish remarks back from Jack. To be honest I really hope some developer makes that game, that way he'd lose 10 grand.

I find it very sad that gamers who sent non-offending and reasonable emails get such stupid and childish remarks back from Jack. To be honest I really hope some developer makes that game, that way he'd lose 10 grand.

Or instead, we could make the game on some freeware like Gamemaker :heh:.

Or instead, we could make the game on some freeware like Gamemaker :heh:.
Hah, if I had the skills I'd so do that. A simple gamer making Jack Thompson pay 10.000 dollars to charity. Awesome. :awesome:

I'm thinking of a flash game. Probably then send it to take two. If only I had hours to waste.

Haha nice comic strip there. He does sound like an uber loser though, 'say goodbye to videogames', shutta up! I say feed him to the starved toothless monkeys(ies?). Man i wish i could do half the things the main protaganist could do in videogames....there might be a small chance then though i might pull off their moves but even then i'm talking about triple jumping over someone then squirting them with a home brewn F.L.U.D.D pack (perhaps with a personal touch haven't thought that far ahead yet).

I've got nothing against stopping minors from playing Resi4 or anything, but jack Thompson is one day going to have to accept that video games don't bloody kill people. Ignorance, poverty, corruption and fear kill people. And here's Jack, doing everything he can to add to the whole American fear culture. I actually wonder if he honestly believes what he says - it's probably just to sell stuff like all the other ass-hole scaremongers out there.

"Hi, I'm Jack Thompson. Video games are turning people into mindless killers. BUY MY BOOK!"

Seriously people who spread this kind of crap around (Bush administartion included) should get run over by a crazed Italian-american in a loud hawaian shirt driving a fictional and similiar to but legally distinct Ferrari-Porsche style car with poor handling though the streets of a city similiar but legally distinct to Miami. Seriously dudes, make a date and do us all a favour.

I'm sure the gaming insustry is going to make a game costing hundreds of thousands so Mr Thompson can pay $10000 to charity :indeed:

The man clearly isn't mentally stable, read PA, CAD and VGcats for proof

If I were a game developper I'd actually make the damn game, and make it so fucking violent and bloody and full of swearing and make millions of profit with my GTA beating project. And that, Mr Thompson, would be irony

He only said it because he knows no one will do it and he will look like he's "won".

Sign in to follow this