NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
KKOB

Wii Wriststraps Recalled

Nintendo recalls over 3.2 million Wii straps :-

The strap recall affects all Nintendo Wiis sold worldwide and almost all units currently on shelves in shops. Nintendo has targetted sales of four million Wii consoles by the end of 2006.

The console has been a huge hit for the company with more than 325,000 machines sold in Europe in just two days, more than 600,000 sold in the US and more than 400,000 on launch day in Japan.

No information was immediately available about how customers can return their Wii straps.

Source :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6182013.stm

I hope they just send them out to people who have them registered on there site... would be much easyer for me that way. Dunno how it would work for all the people who dont register there stuff on Nintendo site tho.

IT will probably you stick the wrist straps in an envelope with the date of purchase or something. Nintendo asked for proof of purchase and just my DS Lite when i had to have it replaced due to the infamous hinge crack-got a new one within a week though.

Nintendo's customer services is awesome when it comes to replacing hardware.

I still think it's a complete and utter joke that people have managed to send these controllers flying through TVs etc. I've not even come close to letting go of mine during games of Wii Sports, Zelda, Red Steel and Rayman.

If I crash a car because I let go of the wheel does that make the manufacturer liable. I think not! The same is true here.

Unless they ship them to me directly then I'm not going to look around for one.

Personaly i see nothing wrong with the originals... but i have noticed that the Wii-mote that came with Wii play has a thicker strap (the part that connects the the Wii-mote) than the one that came with my Wii.

If I crash a car because I let go of the wheel does that make the manufacturer liable. I think not! The same is true here.

If it was due to the wheel falling off then yes.

Going by the US site it may be just a matter of contacting them and requesting new ones to be posted to you.

Err actually here in Europe we are uneffected. We got the US so called "second batch" of straps. They're thicker and stronger than the ones shipped with the consoles in the US and some of Japan's shipment. Hense are are not effected by any of this.

To be honest, the videos i've seen you have to throw a Wiimote pretty fucking hard for it to snap like that.

The one that came with my Wii is noticeably thinner than the one that i got with Wii Play as well. So perhaps Jordans wrong here . . . wait for NOE before people start moaning lol

either way although my controllers have gotten sweaty during play they haven't yet slipped out of my hand and defiantly not the extent of it hitting my TV. but hey ho, as a precaution for family and friends who don't know much about wii, i'd be willing to send off or ask for a replacement strap.

The one that came with my Wii is noticeably thinner than the one that i got with Wii Play as well. So perhaps Jordans wrong here . . . wait for NOE before people start moaning lol

either way although my controllers have gotten sweaty during play they haven't yet slipped out of my hand and defiantly not the extent of it hitting my TV. but hey ho, as a precaution for family and friends who don't know much about wii, i'd be willing to send off or ask for a replacement strap.

Thats just weird... the one i got with Wiiplay is pretty identical to the one i got with the console.

I still think it's a complete and utter joke that people have managed to send these controllers flying through TVs etc. I've not even come close to letting go of mine during games of Wii Sports, Zelda, Red Steel and Rayman.

Unless they ship them to me directly then I'm not going to look around for one.

Spot on! Absolutely right, anyone who is simultaneously throwing the controller so hard it would smash a TV AND releasing their grip of it deserve a smashed TV.

I think a lot of these wrist strap problems come from people who are looking for reasons to knock the Wii.

Well if its as much of a problem for Nintendo to recall their straps it must show that they think its important enough to replace them all at a cost.

Although this would only affect a small number of people/fools who would use the Wii mote like that accidents do happen and as my moms just got a new HD TV for the living room i'm willing to do what Nintendo suggests.

True. I've played WiiSport Tennis yesterday and swung my controller around with all my might. I found it rather hard to even try to let it go. Accidents happen, I suppose. Or they play with very greasy hands indeed. :heh:

If you hold your finger on the B-trigger, there shouldn't be a lot of controllers flying around. Still, I always use the wriststrap. You never know... :wink:

The ones I got with Wii Play and seperately are substantially thinner than the one I got with my Wii

Interesting

Oh and the wrist straps arent being recalled...that isnt said anywhere...all thats said is that if they break, they'll be replaced for free. That does not mean Recalled

I think the analogy here is that if you crashed your car due to negligence and your seat belt broke so you flew through the window and severley injured yourself, you would have a case against the car manufacturers as they supplied you with faulty (or inadequate) safety equipment. Nintendo are just covering their asses by improving the strap so that they can not be liable for any damage if some muppet decides to launch their remote into orbit.

thats not a recall. Its an offer to replace broken straps for free.

"Nintendo said the straps do not present a problem if used correctly, but will still replace all broken ones for free. "

I wish people would read the news properly. Now watch the hysteria spread across all the fan sites.

EDIT: actually just read elsewhere, that the bbc were the ones that screwed up and have now toned down their article. BBC have changed their article to represent the truth. No Recall. BBC spreads nasty rumour shocker.

It's nice to know that Nintendo are still keeping up their excellent level of customer service.

I've got the thinner straps, but I'm not worried about them. My family and I have been playing Wii for almost a week now, and we haven't even had any slippages - not even when we really get into it.

To be honest, the videos i've seen you have to throw a Wiimote pretty fucking hard for it to snap like that.

Plus, also have covered your hands in KY lube and not really holding onto the remote at all.

If you launch your controller at anything, you're playing it wrong and an immense tool. I took the straps off my controllers so expect a post any day now with a picture of a Wii remote embeded in my dad's head or something.

I don't see anything wrong with at the current straps, I bowl with all the force in my arm, I play tennis as if I was at Wimbledon etc..and have never once let go of the controller...(famous last words perhaps)

My television is not on the floor, so problems with bowling are never going to happen. The controller will just bumb into the cupboard with the TV on. I can't really think of any other game where you need to do something so fast at the screen that the controllers jumps out of your hands and aim directly at the screen.

And if you do that, you'll stretch your arm pretty bad. And by the way, my both wrist straps are equally thick, and they look good enough to keep the controller safe. What the hell are people doing to break the straps? Oh wait, I don't want to know.

However thin the wrist strap is, I can't see why you would let go of the remote even if it did snap.

Sign in to follow this