NEurope
Charlie

The Blue Light Explained

Loads of people have been asking about the blue light in the disk slot, so I'm going to explain it here and sticky it to stop people asking about it.

The blue light will come on for 1/4 of a second when you turn your wii on and when you get a message/update/download from WiiConnect24 and no other time. Your Wii is not broken if the light does not stay on.

Edit by DiemetriX:

Video explenation and demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNpTqYPsek

Suprised people havnt workd it out yet, i keep sending an email to my wii just so the light stays on, just looks so damn cool.

It looked better on picture, that's why advertisers use photoshop. I don't lik the hard blue color and it doesn't look half as sweet as the promotion make it seem. I like the console as much without the light, and thanks to the light it's clear when mum send my new orders through the magical WiiMail thing that probably runs through the fourth deminsion through the realm of the midgets to your Wii. Or via the internet.

I love it when I look through the door from my lounge into the room where my Wii is and I see the blue light shining, such a satisfying feeling.

It's Nintendos own fault that people are getting confused. It seems really stupid to promote you console with such a distinctive feature (going as far as preparing dummy consoles that have the light on all the time like at E3 ) and then removing it. To me, the console just looks hollow without it. That's the reason there's so many people thinking it's broke, because they haven't actually seen a Wii without its light.

I remember them saying that it would come on when you get updates and stuff. So you wake up in the morning and it tells you that you got mail instantly.

Figured it out right away, still find it disappointing. It was the design's key feature.

Nice video explaining that, cheers.

Didn't know your wii had an individual email address. Dunno why it seems obvious, just escaped me.

I love the blue light, but it would be annoying to have it on all the time.

In the wiiconnect24 settings, you can turn the blue light on when it's in standby. You can make it dim or super bright.

It's Nintendos own fault that people are getting confused. It seems really stupid to promote you console with such a distinctive feature (going as far as preparing dummy consoles that have the light on all the time like at E3 ) and then removing it. To me, the console just looks hollow without it. That's the reason there's so many people thinking it's broke, because they haven't actually seen a Wii without its light.

I agree. Why would Nintendo want it off all the time anyway? Why not just make it blink repeatedly when you get a message, and only have the light off when you turn the thing off?

The blue light for me was one the most distincitive features of the console. The lack of having an option to having it on for more than 1 second is an extreme disappointment and really reduces the overall feeling of value for your fiat money but not something worthy of taking my own life for...

I don't understand why anyone would want the light on all the time.

Think of this, whenever you see the blue light, you know that something special has happened. Maybe you've received a message.

If the light is on all the time, it'll lose its shine after a while. Sure, you'll find it sexy..for a while.

Blue light, to me, indicates that I NEED to turn the system on. :heh:

I don't understand why anyone would want the light on all the time.

Think of this, whenever you see the blue light, you know that something special has happened. Maybe you've received a message.

If the light is on all the time, it'll lose its shine after a while. Sure, you'll find it sexy..for a while.

Blue light, to me, indicates that I NEED to turn the system on. :heh:

Exactly! For example, the past 2 nights I've gone downstairs at 2am to get myself a drink, only to see my living room lit up bright blue. I end up spending 30 minutes playing Wii Play, or creating a Mii or 2 after checking my message!

Love the blue light. Also, seeing as this causes a big problem for some people, I wouldn't be surprised to see a system update that keeps the light on in the Console Settings.

I agree that it's better to save the blue light for 'special occasions' - i.e. receiving messages and Miis. It's still exciting to walk into my room and see the blue light (although it didn't happen once yesterday! :(). Besides, it's too bright to have on in my bedroom when I'm trying to get to sleep at night, even on the dim setting.

If the blue light was permanently on, you wouldn't know when you receive a message.

Nintendo spent a lot of time trying to sell the console as a device that would be incredibly power efficient so it could be left on 24/7 as well as being a selling point to those parents/consumers who could be into the whole 'tree hug the planet' thing or 'save pennies off the old electric bill' brigade.

To the less educated, a strange blue glow being emitted from the console constantly could be seen as the opposite of efficient.

Its a damn shame they didnt design the Wiimote with the same efficiency in mind...

If the blue light was permanently on, you wouldn't know when you receive a message.

Unless they make it blink. :geek:

Seriously, I would have preferred it if the blue light was only off when the console was off. When you turn it on, it blinks for half a second, and then stays light. Whenever you get a message, the light would blink repeatedly until you open the message(s).

Wouldn't that seem better?