NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
the_mars_volta

Albums of the year!

Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself (think it ws out this year)

Naw I don't think it was I'm afraid, I remember picking it up summer of '05. She's kinda relaunched herself though because now she's popular in the US (which is why she's only just releasing singles off of it).

I'll also add Eye to the Telescope by KT Tunstall.

Raconteurs-Broken Boy soldiers

RHCP-Stadium Arcadium

Muse-Black Holes and Revelations

The Killers-Sams Town

Dirty Pretty Things-Waterloo to Anywhere

Those are the only albums out this year but old ones are:

Chris Cornell-Euphoria Morning

The White Stripes-Elephant

The libertines-The Libertines

I only discovered music this year :p

The only album I got this year was feedback file by asian kung-fu generation... anything else was bought by my brother, although nothing really stands out.

Dan Dare: Deep Cuts was released in 2004. Silent Shout was the album that The Knife released in 2006. Please correct yourself, unless you just made a huge fool of yourself, then you may carry on.

1. Joanna Newsom - Ys

2. The Knife - Silent Shout

3. Erase Errata - Nightlife

4. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

5. Love Is All - Nine Times That Same Song

I'm only going to post 5 to be pompous and cool.

In no particular order my top 10:

Giant Drag - Hearts and Unicorns

Mystery Jets - Making Dens

Yeah yeah yeahs - Show Your Bones

The Fratellis - Costello Music

The Kooks - Inside In The Inside Out

Guillemots - Through the Windowpane

We Are Scientists - Crap Attack

The Killers - Sam's Town

Razorlight - Razorlight

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

There are loads of other albums I have enjoyed throughout 2006 but those 10 I have probably listened to the most.

For me 2006 has been a very duissapointing year. My 2 favourite bands both realeased albums this year, Mastodon and The Mars Volta, and both failed to live up to expectations. They are good albums, just not a patch on the 2 that go before.

RHCP, who WERE one of my favourite bands, then released 28 tracks of bland, funkless and generally generic rock, knocking themselves well down my favourite bands list.

Kasabian, whose debut is one of my absolute all time favourite albums, then released empire which whilst its certainly decent loses some of the weird distinctiveness i loved from their debut. Other dissapointments of the year include Razorlight, The Killers, The Zutons, The Magic Numbers, Embrace and Muse who all released good albums, but nothing close to as good as previous efforts.

However, Tool produced an absolute stormer, Damien Rice and Isis also didnt dissapoint and Oasis released an astoundingly good best of album saving the year.

The Zutons 'Tired of Hanging Around' feels really lifeless and empty, though 'Valerie', 'Why Won't You Give Me Your Love' and 'It's The Little Things We Do' really are great :D They are all singles right?

I disagree with Tom here, I liked Blood Mountain more than Levaithan...and I really can't articulate why, which is surprising, seeing as I'm good at the sort of thing. Anyway, here's my list:

In Flames - Come Clarity

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Lamb of God - Sacrament

Trivium - The Crusade

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side

Strapping Young Lad - The New Black

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis

Stone Sour - Come What May

Ihsahn - The Adversary

Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage

SikTh - Death of A Dead Day

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth

These are the albums of 2006 that I loved, but the truly special ones are highlighted in bold.

Just got the new Killswitch album, and it is bare good. In the face. Twice. It's kinda getting predictible though, cause with every new killswitch album, you expect nothing but excellence, and you get nothing but excellence.

How did i forget in flames, dragonforce and sikth! still not picked up the new blind guardian album, i really need to get that asap.

seems i forgot a few when listing mine; Mystery Jets, Stone Sour and Dragonforce all made brilliant albums!

All amazing albums, download Skalds and Shadows, it's absolutely classic guardian.

i downloaded Ihsahn, its fantastic, reminded me how good Emporer are too.

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Sorry 'Tom' but I thought the Mars Volta's new album was perfect.

Muse's BHAR was a bit of a let down to be honest, though I shouldn't have expected them to better themselves anymore than their last two.

And the only other albums I've bought this year were the Strokes' older albums.

I've mostly spent this year living off older music.

Dan Dare: Deep Cuts was released in 2004. Silent Shout was the album that The Knife released in 2006. Please correct yourself, unless you just made a huge fool of yourself, then you may carry on.

I've clearly been rumbled. no excuses I'm afraid but it's still on my list as I only just got it .....:hmm:

There was only really one album released this year I cared about to be honest.

Bob Dylan- Modern Times

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

I consider myself a mastodon fan... and I think Blood Mountain was a huge letdown... but after remission, it's impossible to mantain the level of quality... IMO

Oh, and In Flames? I loved them up to Reroute To Remain... now they're just a flavour of the week... =/

If I had to highlight an album this year... it would probably be Isis' latest record, "In the Absence of Truth". And perhaps Tool's latest... it wasn't all that I expected, but it was great nonetheless.

not all stuff thats come out this yr but mostly is

1.RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

2.Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

3.Wolfmother - Wolfmother

4.Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier

5.Muse - Black Holes

6. Bedouin Soundclash - sounding a mosaic and root fire

7.babyhead - babyboomtown

8.Eagles of death metal - death by sexy

9.Easy Star All Stars - Dub side of the moon and radiodread

10.black keys - magic potion

+44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating

Angels & Airwaves - We Dont Need To Whisper

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

I consider myself a mastodon fan... and I think Blood Mountain was a huge letdown... but after remission, it's impossible to mantain the level of quality... IMO

Oh, and In Flames? I loved them up to Reroute To Remain... now they're just a flavour of the week... =/

If I had to highlight an album this year... it would probably be Isis' latest record, "In the Absence of Truth". And perhaps Tool's latest... it wasn't all that I expected, but it was great nonetheless.

I thought come clarity was great.

Reroute to Remain had about 2 good songs on it...Trigger, Metaphor and Soundtrack only had one half decent one, My Sweet Shadow. CC is an enormous improvement, every song on that album is great, but it's still not up to their old standard, like on Whoracle or The Jester Race/ Black Ash Inheritance...

The Lemonheads - The Lemonheads

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

That's all I can think of right now.

Sign in to follow this