NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
taiq

The Best Games You Probably Never Played

Another World by Delphine (SNES)

Another_World_1.PNG

Today, games are becoming more and more like movies. There's that upcoming "The Movies" game, Fahrenheit for the PS2, and also that DS game whose title I forgot. Another World, released in 1991, was the first game to attempt this - and it r0x0rs. A very stylish, very absorbing game based on the Shadow & Flame engine. Play it now, you wuss.

playstation_iq_large.jpg

Intelligent Qube by SCEI (PS)

A rockin' puzzle game that ISN'T a Tetris clone, with grand symphonic music. Nothing could go wrong, you might think - and nothing does. Well, the visuals are a bit dull I guess - but it's as fun as a weekend with Audrey Tautou and only half as exhausting.

Basically, you're a man standing on a big, cubic structure in space. You can hit X to mark a square, then hit X again to capture whatever's rolled onto it. A group of cubes rush from one end of the arena to the other, and you have to capture some - the grey and green - and avoid others - the black. Capturing grey cubes will expand the arena, lessening your chances of falling off. Likewise, capturing a black cube will knock bits off the arena. Capturing green cubes will activate extra marked squares that you can activate seperately. It's not confusing, I'm just highly illiterate.

You should also play Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Wild Guns and Commander Keen, but I'm not writing about those.

Intelligent Cube was released as Kurushi in Europe, I've got a demo of it somewhere on a disc which came with my Playstation when I got it back in 1997, quite fun if frustrating. I rented Another World for the Megadrive once many years ago, graphically I thought it was amazing at the time.

Used to have Vagrant Story, but flogged it along with most of my Playstation games for a pretty low price which I kinda regret now as its probably gone up in value a bit.

Another World/Out of this World was awsome, but hard as hell. The sort of sequel, Flashback was also rather great, play it if you haven't (and it's a bit easier too)

Another World was ok but i preferred Flashback. I had that on the amiga and the SNES.

Was Commander Keen on the pc and were there a few of them? If its the game im thinking of then yeah they were awesome. Didnt he have like a po-go stick or something.

I used to own that Intelligent Cube game, except it certainly wasn't called that over here. I can't remember the name it went by and i'm too lazy to look for it. It was a dull, yet somewhat utterly addictive title.

Yes, Kurushi. That's it. +1 imaginary rep for altheman.

Sign in to follow this