NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Wii Sports Thread

Um, so your saying I DON'T 'choose my punches' even though i'm an amateur boxer? Pfft

Haha, noooooooo. I wasn't comparing what I do to you, but to my brother's friends.

I think the skill level has something to do with it, too. It's hard to get your punches in on a really high levelled opponent. Which results in me being knocked out lotses. :(

wii boxing is timing and choosing punches. you also need to get use to the limitations of the controller... but that is where the depth is I guess. i just use small tapping movements like beating a drum and can pull off almost exactly what I want. Shame this aint online then we could settle this.

Wii Sports is fantastic-The perfect example of what Nintendo wanted to do with the console-get everyone playing. It does that bloody brilliantly.

I keep having to move my Wii into the living room from my room because my family want to play. Amazing. Beforehand the only times anyone would play any other of my consoles were when I first got them, or when my sis' boyfriend would play me on PES 4. But now, they're always playing Wii Sports. Wii Sports Golf at that, despite none of us hardly liking golf in reality (Especially Sis).

And is it just me or are women naturally better at Bowling? My sis always gets strikes and my mum beat me. Or is it because they're left-handed?

Baseball is awesome, about 300 off Pro now. It's so bloody exciting. In one game, I was 3-7 down, in my last round with the bat, already with 2 batters out (3 out=change sides, which at the time would've meant I lost). Then I got a homerun, two out-the-parks and a good few more runs. The game ended 13-8 to me!!!:yay:

Tennis is brill too. To get a power serve, you have to hit the ball at the very top of your serving throw. I got pro today because I learnt that move. I also tend to hit with my front man more often, is that a bit unorthodox?

Wii Fitness-I was 60 (!!!) but today I got 25! So a vast improvement.

Well done Ninty. Bloody fantastic console.

Can anyone tell me how you do a proper backspin and lob with tennis? The lob seems to be a bit random imo. Or even better, can anybody put a video tutorial up on youtube or something? I'm getting pretty good at aiming in tennis, but can't really get my head around spinning and lobbing... Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't...

Boxings the one Ive touched least - my mum had a go and loved it then just yesterday Id my first fight (knocked the chap out in the first round lol) its good but seeing as for now Ive only one nunchuk Ive not played it. Wii Sports in two player is the order of the day. Im in danger of losing my Bowling Pro status but who cares, its so cool Ive just gotta play it, even if Im off form.

Tennis can be a bit wonky, but still good. Being an avid tennis fan and player, you can really see how limited and unrealistic it is. Its the same with golf. But did that count in Mario Tennis or Mario Golf? I think not. :p

Glad to see a Baseball fan, its underrated in Wii Sports! :hehe:

Being an avid tennis fan and player, you can really see how limited and unrealistic it is.

Can you explain further please? As I'm not a tennis player myself, I'd like to know just how much it compare with reality and why/not..

Can you explain further please? As I'm not a tennis player myself, I'd like to know just how much it compare with reality and why/not..

Wii Tennis is all about timing, real tennis is to to an extent but on Wii Tennis the timing more or less decides where the ball will go.

If you swing the racket on Wii Tennis you're definitely going to hit the ball, in real tennis there are more factors depending what happens with the shot, the spin from the other person, where you hit the ball on the racket, how hard you do it, where you want to hit it.

Wii Tennis is still good fun, but its very different from real tennis.

Obviously servings not really realistic :wink:

A few examples of other things are that you can basically hit a flat forehand and itll be topspinned like crazy and then you can try to hit a topspin forehand and itll lob.

Im not saying the games any less enjoyable, its not a true simulater (could it really have been??) and once you figure how the game works, its incredibly enjoyable - as with all the Wii Sports games :hehe:

I'm having a problem with bowling. The ball always swerves to the left even if I put the remote towards the right.

Family & friends love it so much i can't play twilight princess or red steel anymore unless i go antisocial and play GC version of TP in my room :indeed:

I'm having a problem with bowling. The ball always swerves to the left even if I put the remote towards the right.

My mum has that exact problem too. Me, I just compensate slightly to the right and can manage to get it fairly straight, but not perfectly straight. When Im going for a Spare and theres one or two pins to aim at, I kinda just trundle the bowling ball down so I make sure and get em lol. :hehe:

Anyone got any tips on throwing straight?

Boxing on Wiisports is awful. Being an amateur boxer myself, i discovered that you do better in the game by frantically punching like an excited 9 yr old girl would as opposed to doing the proper stuff.
:laughing: Yep, that's a pretty good description of it.

Although it is possible to play in a more controlled fashion once you get used to the way it works, but if you know anything at all about boxing then it's still incredibly frustrating because you can't fight exactly as you'd like to.

Anyway, I just really hope the lack of responsiveness in Wii Sports boxing isn't due to a limitation with the Wii Remote / Nunchuck, or we're pretty much screwed for future boxing games. :shakehead

It's hard to get your punches in on a really high levelled opponent. Which results in me being knocked out lotses. :(
The easiest way to get around that problem against high level opponents is to continually dodge left and right until you get that slow-down Matrix style thing going on, :heh: and then try to throw a two punch combo. It usually takes off a good chunk of energy so you only have to do it 4 or 5 times to get a K.O.

*EDIT*

My mum has that exact problem too. Me, I just compensate slightly to the right and can manage to get it fairly straight, but not perfectly straight. When Im going for a Spare and theres one or two pins to aim at, I kinda just trundle the bowling ball down so I make sure and get em lol. :hehe:

Anyone got any tips on throwing straight?

It's all down to when you release B, so the easiest way to throw straight is to release B at the highest point of your throw, rather than release it when the tip of the remote is pointing at the ground because when you do that you roll the ball instead and it'll add spin.

If you release B when the tip of the remote is facing the TV (or even higher) you'll throw the ball instead and that way there won't be any spin on it so the ball should always travel in a straight line.

My cousin has the Japanese Wii and has Wii sports but only boxing is available too play. the other games are there but are greyed out and you cannot select them.

does anyone know how to unlock these?

Does anyone else agree that putting in golf is done badly?

yeah but its just cos its so fiddly and sensitive, my brother is quite a good golf player and he says it is actually quite accurate in some respects but not in others, he says so the distances you pull back for putting are quite good, but power doesnt really work..

how do you play an ace in tennis

Well, when the computer gets harder as your skill level increases, it gets pretty much impossible, but you have to do the fast serve, which you can get by just swinging the remote harder.

Well, when the computer gets harder as your skill level increases, it gets pretty much impossible, but you have to do the fast serve, which you can get by just swinging the remote harder.
It's actually down to the timing of the swing, you have to hit the ball when it's at the highest point from your throw.

I just got my component cable today and Wii Sports looks fantastic in 480p! It's jaggie-tastic but the extra clarity and smoother motion is more than worth the upgrade.

Wii Boxing is doing my head in.

Currently ranked only around the 650-700 mark and just can't seem to get beyond that. I don't know whether to blame the slightly unresponsive controls or just my suckiness at this game.

I tend to try to time and aim my punches (rather than going all out) but can't always get the thing to do what I want it to , and some of those higher ranked opponents are real SoB's for dodging and such. AArrgghh

Boxings the one Ive touched least - my mum had a go and loved it then just yesterday Id my first fight (knocked the chap out in the first round lol) its good but seeing as for now Ive only one nunchuk Ive not played it. Wii Sports in two player is the order of the day. Im in danger of losing my Bowling Pro status but who cares, its so cool Ive just gotta play it, even if Im off form.

Tennis can be a bit wonky, but still good. Being an avid tennis fan and player, you can really see how limited and unrealistic it is. Its the same with golf. But did that count in Mario Tennis or Mario Golf? I think not. :p

Glad to see a Baseball fan, its underrated in Wii Sports! :hehe:

Your damn right I love Baseball. Apart from those damn splitter balls. As my friend keeps doing them on me I still beat that loser though.

I finally got the gold medal in hitting home runs a couple of nights ago, told myself I wasn't going to bed until I did it, that was at 1:30am, after at least 7 attempts were I got 9 home runs then messed up the last shot!

Now I just need to do it all over again with a greater distance to get the platinum, but I'll wait till my arms stopped aching for that!

Also got 39 on target practice in tennis....... one away from platinum!

Aye and regarding the Splitters, can you hit them? I just threw them steady at the computer during a game yesterday and it wised up and just stopped swingin for them. If I counted correctly, after four being left the batter was allowed to just go to first base. Is that then what you do if you get bowled a Splitter? ::shrug:

I think I'm the only one who has played my Wii to understand what happens with the splitter.. and when I try to explain I just get shouted at :hmm:

If a splitter is bowled, try not to swing for it. They're very difficult to hit, because they're not supposed to be hit. For me, it makes the game really good because (my dad gets it, I think) and when we play together, you just don't know what you're gonna get bowled.. do you swing.. do you not swing.. great!

The way it penalizes the pitcher if you don't swing thankfully stops them from bowling a practically unhittable Splitter every single time.. so they have to mix it up..

:bouncy:

Also got 39 on target practice in tennis....... one away from platinum!

Hang on... are you talking about the one with the blue bullseye you have to keep hitting?

I LOVE that training game but I can only get a max of 18!!!! Crap.

Hang on... are you talking about the one with the blue bullseye you have to keep hitting?

I LOVE that training game but I can only get a max of 18!!!! Crap.

Yes we are! I spent ages playing it trying to get the platinum, in the end i my arm started aching and i seemed to have lost the ability to hit the ball softly, making it impossible for decent score!

What I did find to be a good tactic though is hitting the ball high, for example when you know your not going to be able to hit the next target (too far away) then if you hit it high when you hit it closer then it'll hit a different part of the wall, meaning it'll stay in tact for longer!

Sign in to follow this