NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess

Hit one and hit it again as it comes flying back with a spin attack.

Cheers for that. :)

I love the yeti! He's quite awesome.

I completed it less than an hour ago. I liked the game, one of the better games of 2006.

I thought the ending was fantastic, but I think we'll be seeing Midna again, perhaps in the next game. I also like how Zelda played out, she was never kidnapped and actually Zant's take-over was perfectly legal.

That all being said, my biggest problem with the game is that it never felt like an epic game. It felt like a rehash of stuff we'd already seen, just better graphics (***cough-cough***) and a redesign. I never really felt like I was playing a Zelda game.

It was lacking that sense of scale that OoT had, or Wind Waker had. It felt more like Majora's Mask, like a low-key Zelda game. It was missing something. The game also felt like it was level-based, and not free-roaming.

I also think the next game should go back to normal controls. It's not that it's hard to play, but the Wii-mote doesn't really add anything to the game, and I didn't like the point-and-shoot stuff.

Another problem I have is that there is very little community based stuff in this game. There are very few side-quests. And the people of Hyrule all seem to have disappeared.

Unfortunately, this game has made the Zelda franchise no different to other mainstream franchise games. This is a great game, but by no means a classic game. It's "Tom Clancy" good, if that makes sense.

The game has amazing cut scenes, but no dialogue? Un-excusable Nintendo! And the game isn't very difficult, is it now?

Let's hope the next game does something a bit more original to make it truly stand-out (I suggest completely reworking the storyline, into making Zelda herself the main character, and on the quest - perhaps keeping her identity secret). Personally, I wish they do a sequel to Wind Waker next time, with Tetra and Link going beyond the sea.

Rating: One of the best games of 2006: however a lack of originality, and a lack of Zelda-ness, makes this one of the weaker Zelda games in the franchise. Where-as other franchise games like Gears of War actively try to bring something new to the world of video gaming, this trails behind, rehashing things we've already seen before. The game is also graphically inferior to even the likes of Kameo. However, although it's not as good as Wind Waker, and doesn't even come close to Orcarina's greatness, this game is still entertaining and a must-buy for the Wii. 9/10.

I think nintendo needs to add a hard mode for us vets :) That was really my only complaint. Maybe some more side quests. I dunno, this game gave me near the same feeling as I got playing oot and considering I am 8 years older (and much better at games in general) that is a simply phenomenal thing.

Forest Temple - The monkeys, especially red-ass boomerang monkey.

Yea, monkeys were great - and the first boss was probably the best first-dungeon boss in a Zelda game (a million times better then 10-second Ghoma from OOT), and put the boomerang to it's best use ever.

Goron Mines - Awesome setting, great mini-boss and the iron boot usage.

Yea, mini-boss was ace, and full of character. Probably my favourite goron in a Zelda game.

Lakebed Temple - Just great fun all round. Strange for me to enjoy a water temple.

I loved the way the boss was introduced. I was thinking "Oh, another mortha-thing. [or whatever the OOT Water Temple boss was called - Jesus what boring names OOTs temples had]...Oh....My....God.....", when "defeating" it. "Oh God! It's more massivever than I thought" Geat boss progression.

Arbiters Grounds - Spinner, wolf/Link changing and the boss/cutscene afterwards.

The poe section seemed robbed from the Forest Temple, but once the spinner was introduced (Probably the first Zelda item that I went "WTF?" to). Boss was simply amazing.

Snow Mansion - The location for this dungeon was supreme, as was the item within. Boss was awful though - my least favourite of the dungeon bosses by far.

Yea, another item I did not see coming at all - the fact that it isn't even in a chest makes it better. The first 3D sighting of the annoying chainball-swinging goblin from some of the 2D games was ace, tho (and even kept it's annoyingness).

Temple of Time - Jesus, that intro was epic. Fun puzzles with a cool, if underused later, item. The end boss was awesome too, if not easy as hell.

Yea, simply beautiful - music was fantastic. Boss was easy, but cool. Whatever happened to the spider from the old trailer, tho?

Sky Temple - Just plain cool puzzles, quite challenging with the annoying switch above the boss key. Great, GREAT end boss.

Loved this temple, took me ages to find the switch, tho - they should of made it dangle down a bit - but the boss was simply fantastic.

The temples have plenty of stand-out moments, and have the best mini-bosses so far, (in fact, the only mini-boss I can remember from the other games is Dark Link, who was a crap mini-boss). I loved these temples more than any other Zelda game's temples.

and about the lack of side-quests - it probably seems a lot less because most of them are actually part of the main quest (I mean, other than MM, I don't remember doing anywhere near as much stuff between dungeons in the other games - theres just less "optional" stuff in this one).

Finally, even though the end bosses didn't seem as ace as the rest of the bosses in the game, they are some of the best end-bosses, too, and the best gannondorf bosses yet.

MM's end bosses were fantastic, and full of character

TWW's end bosses were cool, fun, but way too easy

OOT's end bosses were awful

TP's end bosses were cool, but a little bit too easy, but the variety was fantastic - still, I wish they left the Tennis against Zelda out of it, and given her something better - although the concept was ace. Oh, and Zelda's dress and Gannondorf's cape animation was stunning.

Finished the game last night.

The last boss was quite good imo. I thought it was the end after defeating the boss the first time, but I was surprised to see it go on for that long.

One question though. When it ended, it stayed on the 'The End' screen for about 5 minutes. It didnt crash because I could press home and the home options would appear. Is this normal? I had to turn it off which I'm gutted about, I saved just before the final boss, but I could just run out of the castle.

Snowboarding is so cool on the game, it reminded me of Snowboard Kids. How I long for another one of thoe games.

Something that I forgot to ask people after launch day: who was actually shaking when they inserted the disk and loaded the game? I was so overwhelmed with excitement that I was about to play this game I found it hard to point at options on screen.

Dill, I couldn't disagree with you any more, though you articulated yourself very well so I'll give you that.

For starters I think the wii motes ADD's a ton to the game, very simple but great additions - and how can you not like the point and shoot controls? Is it a little too much like real life (relatively)? Don't you like your games more immersive? Can you really say pressing a button to slash is better then slashing?! If so then is the Wii for you? For me Zelda is very subtle with the wii mote, and if you dont like that........

As for epic, again that baffles me - the game is bigger, longer and with a much more drammatic storyline than ANY other game; Twilight Princess is a much better game than OoT, trust me play Ocarina; is it better for it's time? Of course not, but then Ocarina didn't have Ocarina to be compared with.

Also, a lowkey game? This was the only place you didn't articulate, I really really don't understand how this can be a lowkey game, baffling!! Also, I agree for the first quarter it was level based, but as soon as you got rid of all the twilight it was eaily as free roaming as any other Zelda game.

As for the graphics, and voice over, may it should have, but it didn't bother me it didn't; though I think inexcusable is a little drammatic - it's clearly and artistic choice!

Also, WHY do you think Wind Waker is better? It is smaller, a much more limiting mechanic - it gets weaker in the second half, the story isnt as strong; and do you really think the addition of the boat is better than wolf link?! I love Wind Waker, it just baffles me why people don't love TP and see it as the best Zelda game ever, which I clearly do :)

PS And you really let yourself down by saying in the next game Zelda should be the main character ;)

Adam

I disagree with some of the things you're saying, but your opinion is just as valid as anyone here. I do have to say I found none of the dungeons forgettable in the slightest. Every one of them had something cool I'll always remember them by.

Right, this is where i will make my point.

The initial reaction to seeing the trailer for the first time and seeing the style they were gonna use didnt fade away. All i'm saying is that, the sheer epicness of the first two trailers just did not appear in this game.

Basically, a lot, in fact most of the best parts of the game were great because of nostalgic reasons. There were only 2 great pieces of original music: Lake Hylia and the Light Spirit theme. I am not exagurating here, but i absolutely hated the Hyrule Field theme. All the rest were just remixes or rehashes of great themes, such as temple of time, ganondorfs theme, zoras domain etc.

Hyrule Town was actually very cool, i liked the way there was always shit going down there.

At the end of the day, my main gripe is the music, and the story. Apparently they said it was gonna be a more darker themed Zelda. Well im sorry for not actually taking it literally, i thought it was gonna be darker in the vein of more drama and more serious shit. Ocarina of time was more darker then this.

The dungeons were forgettable for me. Some were god damn short, the ice mansion puzzles were too easy, they only took me 5 minutes to solve, when my friend was talking about how hard they were i was expecting something a bit more grander. Not just 2 measily blocks. Going back to music in the dungeons, again, you couldnt even hear the music in most of them.

EVERYONE remembers Spirit Temple, Forest temple, Water temple, Ice cavern music.

I can honestly say that i didnt play this game with high expectations, i stayed away from almost all form of media other then the first 4 trailers and a few screenshots.

So yeah. Normally when i complete Zelda games, i get a real sense of accomplishment, but with this one the feeling was empty. Heck, i completed Minish Cap 2 weeks ago and i came out of that with the feeling that ive played a great zelda game.

The initial reaction to seeing the trailer for the first time and seeing the style they were gonna use didnt fade away. All i'm saying is that, the sheer epicness of the first two trailers just did not appear in this game.

Basically, a lot, in fact most of the best parts of the game were great because of nostalgic reasons. There were only 2 great pieces of original music: Lake Hylia and the Light Spirit theme. I am not exagurating here, but i absolutely hated the Hyrule Field theme. All the rest were just remixes or rehashes of great themes, such as temple of time, ganondorfs theme, zoras domain etc.

Hyrule Town was actually very cool, i liked the way there was always shit going down there.

At the end of the day, my main gripe is the music, and the story. Apparently they said it was gonna be a more darker themed Zelda. Well im sorry for not actually taking it literally, i thought it was gonna be darker in the vein of more drama and more serious shit. Ocarina of time was more darker then this.

The dungeons were forgettable for me. Some were god damn short, the ice mansion puzzles were too easy, they only took me 5 minutes to solve, when my friend was talking about how hard they were i was expecting something a bit more grander. Not just 2 measily blocks. Going back to music in the dungeons, again, you couldnt even hear the music in most of them.

EVERYONE remembers Spirit Temple, Forest temple, Water temple, Ice cavern music.

I can honestly say that i didnt play this game with high expectations, i stayed away from almost all form of media other then the first 4 trailers and a few screenshots.

So yeah. Normally when i complete Zelda games, i get a real sense of accomplishment, but with this one the feeling was empty. Heck, i completed Minish Cap 2 weeks ago and i came out of that with the feeling that ive played a great zelda game.

I know what you mean, I'm finding it more simple than I expected, but I do like all the new ideas and storylines that they've tried. But I have to disagree with you on both the music and storylines, because I thought both were really spectacular. The Light Spirit music and Ilia's theme really stand out to me.

Dill, I couldn't disagree with you any more, though you articulated yourself very well so I'll give you that.

For starters I think the wii motes ADD's a ton to the game, very simple but great additions - and how can you not like the point and shoot controls? Is it a little too much like real life (relatively)? Don't you like your games more immersive? Can you really say pressing a button to slash is better then slashing?! If so then is the Wii for you? For me Zelda is very subtle with the wii mote, and if you dont like that........

As for epic, again that baffles me - the game is bigger, longer and with a much more drammatic storyline than ANY other game; Twilight Princess is a much better game than OoT, trust me play Ocarina; is it better for it's time? Of course not, but then Ocarina didn't have Ocarina to be compared with.

Also, a lowkey game? This was the only place you didn't articulate, I really really don't understand how this can be a lowkey game, baffling!! Also, I agree for the first quarter it was level based, but as soon as you got rid of all the twilight it was eaily as free roaming as any other Zelda game.

As for the graphics, and voice over, may it should have, but it didn't bother me it didn't; though I think inexcusable is a little drammatic - it's clearly and artistic choice!

Also, WHY do you think Wind Waker is better? It is smaller, a much more limiting mechanic - it gets weaker in the second half, the story isnt as strong; and do you really think the addition of the boat is better than wolf link?! I love Wind Waker, it just baffles me why people don't love TP and see it as the best Zelda game ever, which I clearly do :)

PS And you really let yourself down by saying in the next game Zelda should be the main character ;)

I could'nt have said it better myself!..........No, I really couldn't!!

Dabooker, about the music, what exactly is wrong with rehashing the music, its a franchise - you wouldn't want the later Star Wars film to not use the main theme or the imperial march just because its a rehash would you? Or to put a variation on the dual of fates in Sith (you can use the same example with LotR if you're more into that....or in fact any franchise film - Rocky, Indiana jones, God Father etc etc.)

And also, you've 8 years of Ocarinas music, of course its going to be more memorable.

Cheers Kav + magic, Twilight has become my favourite ever game (sorry Mario 64), it's great to hear peoples opinions.

Just because a game is bigger and longer doesn't mean it's automatically more epic. I found Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker infinately more epic than TP. The stories of those two were better, there was more a sense of inpending doom which I'm sorry was COMPLETELY absent from this game. I find the idea that TP is better than Ocarina very odd indeed.

Remember what it was like stepping out of the temple of time for the first time after the 7 year period? Remember the ocarina tunes, running into Sheik, the bottom of the well? Using din's fire for the first time? Taking the master sword out for the first time? Running into phantom ganon? Sneaking around the Gerudo fortress (with that amazing music), being led through the desert by the poe? Having to do the Spirit temple both as a child and an adult? Escaping Lon Lon ranch with epona? Seeing ganon's castle for the first time and watching the spirits create a bridge to get there? Being on the galleon in the Shadow Temple? All amazing, special moments (and I could go on for a long time). I'm struggling to find more than 2 or 3 similar moments that are as special in TP.

Remember what it was like stepping out of the temple of time for the first time after the 7 year period? Remember the ocarina tunes, running into Sheik, the bottom of the well? Using din's fire for the first time? Taking the master sword out for the first time? Running into phantom ganon? Sneaking around the Gerudo fortress (with that amazing music), being led through the desert by the poe? Having to do the Spirit temple both as a child and an adult? Escaping Lon Lon ranch with epona? Seeing ganon's castle for the first time and watching the spirits create a bridge to get there? Being on the galleon in the Shadow Temple? All amazing, special moments (and I could go on for a long time). I'm struggling to find more than 2 or 3 similar moments that are as special in TP.

I admit the Lon Lon ranch bit, and jumping over the bridge were ace sections. But I wasn't too fond of most of the events you've said...(master sword scene was cool, but was totally ruined by an extremely long, boring cut-scene).

Twilight Princess: Entering the Twilight Realm for the first time, getting turned into a human again, but with the new clothing, sneaking round ordon as the wolf, the whole Horseback fight/duel scene, the second temple's mini-boss, escaping death by jumping of the great bridge, unfreezing Zora's domain, the protecting the carriage scene, rushing to Zelda to save Minda, snowboarding, the spinner, discovering the Yeti's house was a dungeon, opening the temple of time, and a load of other stuff.

Those were good bits, funnily enough mostly in the beginning section of the game which just shows how the quality goes downhill after the first 4 dungeons. Very surprised you didn't like most of the bits I said about Ocarina.

Those were good bits, funnily enough mostly in the beginning section of the game which just shows how the quality goes downhill after the first 4 dungeons. Very surprised you didn't like most of the bits I said about Ocarina.

I suppose it didn't help that when I got the game, I "gave up" a few times, and continued a few weeks later (until I got to the spirit temple, which made me put the game somewhere, and let it gather dust for around 2 years), which probably ruined a lot of the experience. (whereas the other 3D ones I played without letting other games get in the way much).

Reall, I admit it wasn't a problem with the game itself, but a problem with me. (I wasn't really a "gamer" until I tried SM64 on my cousin's N64, and only got my 64 the Xmas before OoT...so I hadn't really been playing games for long when I got it).

Dabooker, about the music, what exactly is wrong with rehashing the music, its a franchise - you wouldn't want the later Star Wars film to not use the main theme or the imperial march just because its a rehash would you? Or to put a variation on the dual of fates in Sith (you can use the same example with LotR if you're more into that....or in fact any franchise film - Rocky, Indiana jones, God Father etc etc.)

And also, you've 8 years of Ocarinas music, of course its going to be more memorable.

Cheers Kav + magic, Twilight has become my favourite ever game (sorry Mario 64), it's great to hear peoples opinions.

I said nothing is wrong with rehashing music.

I said the original music wasn't great.

The rehashes saved the game from having overall monotonous music.

I felt the game really lacked the interaction with the people, especially in the light of Majora's Mask. In the end hardly anyone in Castle Town knew who I was and what I did! I loved the final boss battle, the ending was alright and I like the

but I didn't really care about saving the world as much as I did in Majoras Mask. This may sound a bit harsh but in the end I feel this game came out a year too late, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it and I loved the new ideas like the horse fighting and canoeing (sp?), technically it is flawless, but I felt the world that the game is set is essentially souless...

Just finished this masterpiece and the following screens confuse me:

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/img_2982666.html

where in castle town is this?

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/img_2982668.html

can´t seem to remember this place...

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/img_2738345.html

there was supposed to be a lot of interaction with animals, there was some but the thing with picking up cats and dogs felt redundant...

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/img_2649974.html

this sasquatch i expected to meet in the sacred groove, what happened to him?

And also I remember from some trailer Link paddling a canoo in Ordon, can you get a canoo in Ordon someway?

I'd agree with that, but then I don't play Zelda games for story or music... In my opinion, all Zelda games have crap stories, and the music is just something in the background that can add to the atmosphere. I did like some of the music in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, so I'm pleased that that's been remixed and used again, and I also like the night time Hyrule field theme... but frankly, the music isn't that important. As for difficulty, I'm only at the second dungeon, but it hasn't seemed very hard so far.

Nevertheless, I love the game, for the atomosphere and fun if nothing else.

I felt the game really lacked the interaction with the people, especially in the light of Majora's Mask. In the end hardly anyone in Castle Town knew who I was and what I did! I loved the final boss battle, the ending was alright and I like the

but I didn't really care about saving the world as much as I did in Majoras Mask. This may sound a bit harsh but in the end I feel this game came out a year too late, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it and I loved the new ideas like the horse fighting and canoeing (sp?), technically it is flawless, but I felt the world that the game is set is essentially souless...

Exactly how I feel. A very soul-less Hyrule, even though the game was technically perfect and very enjoyable.

I'd agree with that, but then I don't play Zelda games for story or music... In my opinion, all Zelda games have crap stories, and the music is just something in the background that can add to the atmosphere. I did like some of the music in Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, so I'm pleased that that's been remixed and used again, and I also like the night time Hyrule field theme... but frankly, the music isn't that important. As for difficulty, I'm only at the second dungeon, but it hasn't seemed very hard so far.

Nevertheless, I love the game, for the atomosphere and fun if nothing else.

In this day and age, on home consoles, where there is a long game, that does rely on a story. Music is important.

Especially when they have spent 3+ years making it.

In this day and age, on home consoles, where there is a long game, that does rely on a story. Music is important.

Especially when they have spent 3+ years making it.

I see what you mean, but very few games other than RPGs succeed in having a good story, so you can't really blame Nintendo... after all, the only game they've ever had with a proper story was Eternal Darkness as far as I know...

As for music, it improves the game if you like it, but the effect is quite subtle, so unless the music is really bad, the quality of the gameplay should shine through.

How can you say good music has only a subtle effect on a game?

The music in TP was rubbish, simple as that. There were a few good tunes here and there but everything else was completely forgetful and devoid of any drama or life.