NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Red Steel Thread

I'm starting to wonder why on earth reviewers have complained about the controls. Turning is easy, aiming in fine (better than on a PC, anyway), and actions work well.Just the sword fighting that I need to get used to.

I'm starting to wonder why on earth reviewers have complained about the controls. Turning is easy, aiming in fine (better than on a PC, anyway), and actions work well.Just the sword fighting that I need to get used to.

This is what im hearing from everyone... because i havent even opend my copy yet. Now im looking forward to starting it when Zelda is outta the way!

I disagree in some respects, from what I have played the first two levels, there have been some instances where the turning leaves alot to be desired, having said that I am still finding the game really fun. Do find myself wrestling with the controls sometimes but it still definitly was worth going for at launch I reckon for when I need summit different to Zelda.

Controls are good, but when you get used to CoD3 they're even better, two great and very different shooters! And the dual shock is one of the worst pads to grace the gaming world!!!

I'd much prefer if you could tuen usinf left and right on the analog stick. But I'll live with it. Turning is a little awkward and imo could be a lot easier.

yeah it whould be awesome if the setup worked like zelda's. have the walking and side steping as the dpad and the analog control for turning and then you just use the remote for aiming.

That would be cool. But once you get use to the Red Steel controls and get into it, it is a really good game. Unfortunatley I've been ignoring it a little because of Zelda but I can see it being a great game to get properly into!

Playing Red Steel makes the dual shock look like a good method of controlling FPS games. It really is that bad.

How long have you played for Bluestar? People seem to adapt to the controls after a while? I think im getting COD 3 along with zelda as I want an fps my dad can play. Besides I think he will prefer killing nazis to japenese people!

My problem with it is the gameplay itself, not the controls. Although, why does it sometimes go crazy and point up for no reason? Anyway, it just seems like a very average shooter, with swords shoved in. Also, after seeing the screenshots in magazines, I'm very disappointed with the games' visuals. It looks like a poor PS2 game.

I'm basing this on a short while on it, but i really don't want to play it again.

Played about 30 mins, but have little desire to play any more. Even if the controls were brilliant I doubt I'd pick it up again.

Played an hour or two at a mates house and I wasn't that impressed. Its not god-awful, just very dull and generic. The game has no character, flair or originality (flawed control method excluded)

I picked it up reasonably quickly but after an hour I tired of it's mediocreness. Its not a bad game and you will get some fun out of it, its just very cliched and boring.

As for the controller debate, for me

Mouse > Dual Analogue > Red Steel Wimote.

Hopefully with CoD3 or MP3 Corruption this will become Wiimote > Dual Analogue. I still can't see Wiimote beating mouse + wasd though. Metroid might.

People who have played the game for less then an hour can't really have a truthful opinion of the controls, and I'm baffled that people think the controls are difficult, I think they are very easy!!!

The wii-mote is better than anything else out there for FPS in my opinion. specially the effing dual shock - I hate the pad!!! They are about as analgue as a NES D-Pad!

It's not difficult, it's just really awkward. Played about 1hr 15 now cos I've been giving it a chance. The levels are designed to work around the constraints of the controls (Ie, if there's someone popping out right to your left you can't turn in time to shoot him) but that makes the game pretty samey with lots of corridor shootouts. The sword fights remind me a bit of super punch out.

I've got used to the controls a bit more, and the novelty of them is really all that brings a bit of interest to a pretty mundane shooter. If this came out on the PC, it would have been released by ValueSoft.

I'm really enjoying the game- OK, it's not setting a new bar for FPS's but it's a nice FPS, enjoyable, and I LOVE the controls. My only problem is with the sword fighting- I definately enjoy it, I just thought the sword would match my motion more closely.

Played about 30 mins, but have little desire to play any more. Even if the controls were brilliant I doubt I'd pick it up again.

You must be pretty shit at it then, it's a hell of a lot more accurate and fun than using dual analogs for me...not quite as good as touch screen like in MPH though.

Well I can't be that shit at it, after an hours play I've never bothered looking at my health and never been in any danger of dying.

Guess it's just a matter of preference then. I prefer it to the original Halo for example, cause killing aliens, just ain't the same as cappin humans.

My problem with it is the gameplay itself, not the controls. Although, why does it sometimes go crazy and point up for no reason? Anyway, it just seems like a very average shooter, with swords shoved in. Also, after seeing the screenshots in magazines, I'm very disappointed with the games' visuals. It looks like a poor PS2 game.

I'm basing this on a short while on it, but i really don't want to play it again.

No reason???:hmm: It's either a problem with the hardware, or you.

How can you have a problem with the gameplay??:wtf: It's normal, appart from you can shoot people one after the other fast and stuff:)

The game is awesome. Im seriously confused about the hate for it. Its in no way awkward, I've played quite a few FPS games (usually for an hour or so because I dont own them, my friends do), Red steel is one of the most accurate and enticing titles and im glad I bought it.

Ok, so you have the random loss of pointer, but that takes 2 seconds to get back. By uncommon, I mean its happend to me twice and i've played this game for a total of 4 hours I believe.

Ah well, I love this game. Its just awesome.

Alrighty folks..here's the deal...got my Amazon orders of Red Steel and Zelda today...played both a little.

This was my mindframe for Red Steel (prior to playing)

• Great Concept - love all things Yakuza flavoured, Samurai Swords and of course Guns!
  • Nice BoxArt
  • A Strong desire to buy and play game (regardless of reviews good/bad etc)

Here's my first impresions of Red Steel. (after a short gaming session)

• Main Menu "pick and drag system" - garish and quite non-userfriendly
  • Presentation and overal visual game style - fairy nice (def above passable)
  • Control - a bit loose and "over the shop" - however I did have sensi set to HIGH (so I'm wiling to forgive that)

HOWEVER

What I won't forgive is unruly object collision/detection and dodgy animations.

(I'll explain)

(SPOILER)

You begin the game, get your gun - meet your GF's dad's servant dude - follow him round a corner and then he gets gubbed. (so far so 80's)

Then you enter a room where you meet your first real band of enemies. After dispatching them you must open a door and continue on ...

BUT WAIT.....

Something on the other side of the opened door is shooting and talking trash at me.....

What is it?

Theres no-one there?

And then I look up and see a Yakuza enemy floating in mid air!!

MID AIR!

top half of his torso is inside the ceiling above me - his legs are dangling below.

(END SPOILER)

I'll try this game again tomorrow - I so want to love this game and its great that some people clicked right away, I wish I was one of them. I feel slightly sick at thinking of trading in the game at a gamestation or game shop almost as soon as I took it out of the Wii :(

I wondered how CoD3 would control (its has some good/bad press) for similar reasons graphics/control etc - I bought it tonight and loved it immediately and felt that its controls were very intuitive..

More thoughts after I play around with RS again soon

I get a glitch where the dot, that tells you where you're pointing the gun, momentarily pops to the center of the screen and back. It's not affecting the gameplay for me, but it's still quite annoying!

It does indeed look like a poor PS2 game.

Inspite of the odd glitch here and there, and that it looks really poor, I am quite enjoying the game though. :)

To my eyes this is one of the better looking launch titles. It is a bit rough around the edges.. but a lot of thought has gone into making it an atmospheric experience. So far I've enjoyed it a lot, even though the control setup is slightly mad - and not exactly the ideal introduction to the wiimote's capabilities (roll-on Galaxy!).

What I will say for the control method is that it definately increases the feeling of tension!