NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Red Steel Thread

So far, this game is GREAT, I'm glad I got it at launch and didn't wait a bit. I've just got to the 3rd level I think, well it's the on with the Garage after the Massage parlour/Brothel/Spa level.

At first the game seemed really pants due to the controls (Wiimote looking etc), even after putting sensitivity to low.

However, after a while (and after using the sensor bar on Wii Play & Zelda) i got used to it and 'my mind' stopped moving the Wiimote so it would lose track of everything on screen. Now I find it really good and it REALLY does remind me of XIII (made by same studio:heh:).

The only 'beef' I have with it now is that Z isn't aim like I'm used to on most other shooters, inc 3rd persons such as Gow & Resi4.:)

The AI's also not as smart as Ubisoft made it out to be in the 1st place....but I like that.:)

The voice overs so far seem a lil dodgy (mainly in the women), but I like the way characters use Japanese some of the time.

Although the speaker in the Wiimote is shit, I like the Wiimote noises on Red Steel, they seem kinda retro. (They're kinda rubbish on Zelda though, appart from Midna's laugh)

That black guy in the pool thingy was invincible!!!:shock:

Played it around dinner time and was not that impressed. :-( Just came back from playing it now tho, (after my tea) and I love it! Havent had a 3 hour game session in ages! The controls did take over 30mins to get used to, but now its natural for me, and i don't mind the odd glitch - heck its a launch title! Just starting the 3rd level now. Love holding 'A' and zooming in on people. Feels real good! Mwa ha ha ha ha! Die!!!!

That's exactly the same as I was, didn't like it that much at first, but I love it now. :)

I was the same, I couldnt get used to the control system and then as I played multiplayer I got better and better at it. I'm still crap bu enjoying it so much more!

Where are you Miyu!!

yeah, im at the bit with the sniper rifle in the hanger now. I died twice, then decided i was gonna do some Mii swapping..

Maybe I'll get this for Christmas. A sort of... present for myself. Keep those impressions coming.

Played through a few sections. Initial impressions are good. Some slight control issues at first, but nothing major.

has anyone got this as well as call of duty 3 and what does everyone think between the 2 and which u think is the best

I enjoyed it, again had control issues to start with but over came them in about 30-45 mins of pateince, and once I got the hang of teh Katana controls i was really gettin into it

I seem to be having the same impressions as everyone else, bought it and hated it, thought it was a pile of crap. But now that i have got used to the Wiimote its actully quite fun.

If the rest of the game carrys on the way it is now it would get a 7/10 in my eyes.

I find the game to be pretty good, graphics are better then what i expected. Controls do take some learning but overall are pretty cool to play with. Especially zooming in and out, how cool is that?!

Glad i got this game, was abit worried with all the reviews on it.

Everyone says the same thing as the reviews, you jsut need to get used to the controls. They aren't all that bad really. I give it 7/10

My impressions are pretty much the same. I played it for a bit, thought "wtf is this!?" and after about 20-30 mins of play I got used to it.

It seems like a great game to me, the AI may be a little crap and the voices can be weird, but I don't really care. The cut scenes are interesting and the sword fighting is the best thing about this game. And yes, the "help" screen is a bit of an issue...

It'll be an 8/10 imo if it keeps this up, or gets better.

Hmm, I had another go last night, but as I said in my post soemwhere else couln't really get a good grip on the remote/nunchuck with my hand, did manage to get through the first level lasty night though but damn I was all over the pace it was annoying as hell, don't want to say it but I think i'm gonig to have to take it back mainly beacsue I can't even play it which is a bit upsetting, it looks bloody nice though, but no use keeping it if i can't hold the ontroller properly, going to be fun with games in the future that depend on using them both at the same time ;-;

I've really enjoyed it so far, even the period of adjustment for the controls wa quite fun.

I know people are going to think this is a little blasphemous, but it feels a lot like Goldeneye to me.

yes that's what i want to know.it sounded shite as well.with it's REALLLY limited multiplayer and crap voice overs.

I thought it looked shite, but the hype was still massive when I made my order and it hadn't been reviewed so against my better judgment I ordered it.

Worse, I took the cellophane of it, but not Money Ball. Then I got confused and tried to take the cellophane off Red Steel and ripped away the plastic on the front. So when I trade it in, I'll have to swap the boxes.

This game is amazing. Played 4 player deathmatch for hours last night, and although there are some crazy limitations and emitions we all loved it, and I agree with the GoldenEye comment, especially on multiplayer - the weapons and level design is very GoldenEye-esque; the game just has an awesome classic FPS feel!!

The stupid restrictions are that there are no bots; only 4 levels; not enough characters to choose from; no weapon selection (as in decidindg what weapons you can and can't have); and that there are now powerful weapson (reocked launchers etc.) although this is isn't that bad as the weapons are brilliantly balanced!!

I have CoD3 to the person who asked and, well, I've hardly touched it to be honest as its 1 player only and people have coming round to my house solidly; but it looks like it will be pretty great. I think Red Steel is a better introduction to FPS on Wii as it's very easy to control after 20 minutes; CoD is extremely difficult, BUT, when you get used to it its just amazing, and shows the Wii can really emulate the speed and efficiency of a mouse, but with extravemmersion.

And for both games - reloading and changing weapons (WHY is this NOT in Red Steel) and opening doors by pushing the nunchuck os just amazing - pressing buttons just can't compete!!!

PS As a side note, an xbox fan who LOVES Halo came round and has now preordered a Wii, and he LOVED Red Steel!!

The controls are a piece of cake!! On the Docks level, I killed my mate Ham from right across the map with a headshot from a pistol ffs. I truly love this game, it's like the people who don't like MPH online cause they can't get used to the controls. Play Multiplayer with a couple of mates...man it rocks so much!! I was so sceptical about this game, but after getting it, I love it.

*Goes to play it some more*

I played it for the first time today, spent 1h 44m on it (good old Play Record). :D

It took a few minutes for me to get used to the controls, but I found them quite smooth. I did take the time to reduce the speaker volume to 0 beforehand. I had the controls on "high sensitivity" and didn't find the turning speed slow.

Liking the game so far, I'm glad I chose to gamble and buy it rather than rent it. :)

The only control annoyance I've experienced is that if you try to reload your gun while standing on a different weapon, it'll pick up the weapon instead.

The sword fights feel artificial when you try to attack (parrying and dodging are OK), but the gunplay is much better.

I played it for the first time today, spent 1h 44m on it (good old Play Record). :D

It took a few minutes for me to get used to the controls, but I found them quite smooth. I did take the time to reduce the speaker volume to 0 beforehand. I had the controls on "high sensitivity" and didn't find the turning speed slow.

Liking the game so far, I'm glad I chose to gamble and buy it rather than rent it. :)

The only control annoyance I've experienced is that if you try to reload your gun while standing on a different weapon, it'll pick up the weapon instead.

The sword fights feel artificial when you try to attack (parrying and dodging are OK), but the gunplay is much better.

Just move away from the weapon then, easy problem solved.

I really like this game now. Shooting enemies in the crotch to make them go down is funny.

The aiming is relaly not as bad as people say. After all that i said aout it looking wierd, i take it back.

The only bits I dont like are how the subtitles go under the screen. The font of subtitles. The font on the screen which shows how you done on the level (accuracy, respect, etc). Also one bit right at the start i noiced when the girl was tlaking to her father adn you had to stay it he room while they ran away one of the first timing bits. Well whense was talking to him and went forward the odd couple of times, you could see she was infront of him.

Thats all really.

First 20 mins...lame...I now love it! Controls sometimes a bit annoying but nothing that effects the game too badly! Multiplayer is real good althugh think the maps are too big!

I really can't wait till they sort everything out and blow us away with Red Steel 2: Bloody Vengence...(Lame name I made up,lol!)