N-Europe

PAL Virtual Console Games Run In 50 HZ

Fierce_LiNk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does make a difference. PAL games from before Nintendo started treating us like humans ran slower than NTSC. Don't know how much... but try playing Mario World on your old SNES, then *somehow* try the NTSC version and see how crap you are because it's noticeably faster.

Edit: Point is... if you've played them in 60Hz you'll be mega pissed going back to the old way.

Those guys at NTSC-UK forums who already have European Wii are saying at least PC-Engine games run in 60hz mode. Furthermore, CVG says that both Donkey Kong Country and Mario 64 do run 50 hz mode, but they go faster, have stabler framerate and smaller borders than original PAL-versions. Interesting....

Edit: Point is... if you've played them in 60Hz you'll be mega pissed going back to the old way.

Yeah, but that covers about 0.5 percent (maybe even less) of European gamers. Importers are really tiny minority, and TBH, there probably would be more complaints if you favorite childhood game went faster than you excepted it to go. I know this personally, as I was pretty shocked to notice how fast NTSC NES Batman was if compared to PAL one. It really ruined experience.

Yeah, but that covers about 0.5 percent (maybe even less) of European gamers. Importers are really tiny minority, and TBH, there probably would be more complaints if you favorite childhood game went faster than you excepted it to go. I know this personally, as I was pretty shocked to notice how fast NTSC NES Batman was if compared to PAL one. It really ruined experience.

True, but on the internet that 0.5 percent are very vocal about their issues! I'm miffed about it, but like you say for other people it's great that it plays exactly like it used to. :cry:

For me it's about the games still not playing the way they were intended, and this is a smaller problem the further back you go.

Thing is, if they were just roms released in their original form it'd be less of an issue because then you know they just let those pour out all over the place. The way it is though, we're fed games through a straw, most likely because there's SOME process going on, and if there is they should be able to give you the option of 60hz.

Most of the games that ran like shit here (Street Fighter for instance) did so because nothing was done to the frame update, essentially displaying 60 frames but at a rate of 50 a second instead of its intended 60, hence taking longer to get those frames displayed (you all know how it works I'm sure), so really, with those games it's just a question of displaying them at 60fps instead.

With games that they screwed with (removed frames and such) to make them resemble the original speed it's more difficult I imagine, so I have some understanding when it comes to those. But even so... EVEN SO. ARGH!

I'm sorry, but were we not playing mega drive games in 50Hz in the first place? It will feel exactly the same as playing them back in their day. The graphics and speed of the games are meant to be crap - they're old school!

Besides, I'd probably wait out for better SNES and N64 games to be honest.

Guest Stefkov
I'm going to get very rich, buy Nintendo, and then fire everybody working at Nintendo Europe.

Sounds like a plan, I will join you in this quest.

However we must keep hold of one of the employees. So we can have a slave.

Sheikah: I totally see what you mean, hence I think it's a smaller problem the further back you go. When I was playing SNES game I didn't even know they were slower than they were supposed to be, but once we're going N64 and stuff I actually knew about this, and it bugged the hell out of me. Waverace and stuff.. it's just that I really understood how shafted we were being by then, and with that knowledge it got on my tits proper.

So now I don't have any nostalgic notions surrounding splashing about 17% slower than what the creators wanted, instead I was looking forward to - and expecting - to experience them the way they were intended.

But you certainly have a point, everyone does, that these are the versions we played before and it's all about going back into the past with it. It's just terribly disappointing to me that there isn't a "original" mode in them at the intended pace.

According to CVG:

Bizarrely we also tried out Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario 64 - a game that suffered from a terrible PAL port - on our UK Wii, and they both matched the US Virtual Console versions with no borders and smooth-running gameplay.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=150524

So not ALL VC games are affected.

Some Screens:

Super Mario 64

screenshot_165496.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog

screenshot_165497.jpg

Is it not possible that we'll see games that are '60hz Only' (a la Wind Waker bonus disc), no?

Some NTSC-UK users already have their European Wii's and have confirmed PC-Engine games are running in 60 hz mode. Furthermore, GamesTM (Brittish game mag) had following tidbit in its latest issue:

“Something big is coming to the Virtual Console, something that, for the past decade, certain corners of the retro community have been crying out for. I wish I could say more, but the uncertainties of publishing schedules prevents me from spilling the beans too early. Nevertheless, if what we’ve heard turns out to be true, the virtual console is about to become a lot more interesting and looks like it might turn out to be much more valuable to dedicated retro gamers than we first thought.”

GC games too?

The resolution of the console is set at 50hz 576i (PAL) by default, using the supplied Wii AV composite cables. However, we'd wholly recommend forking out for the component cables (due several days after launch) for a much cleaner, 480p image. The console can also be run at 60hz 480i - however neither the 480p or 60hz 480i modes are compatible with the GameCube software. The system will automatically revert to 576i - which is a bit of a shame.

IGN

Edit: GC games do support 60hz.

To be honest, I've yet to meet someone who actually notices any difference between 50Hz and 60Hz...

Play Tekken 5 on the PS2, the difference when pulling off juggles is night and day!

As for the 50hz thing, i am a die hard Nintendo fan but one thing really does piss me off, if this was Sony or Microsoft the game would be out at 60hz global. Its this "got you over the barrel" attitude that i thought the big N was finally losing, thusly i hope it isn't true.

GC games too?

The resolution of the console is set at 50hz 576i (PAL) by default, using the supplied Wii AV composite cables. However, we'd wholly recommend forking out for the component cables (due several days after launch) for a much cleaner, 480p image. The console can also be run at 60hz 480i - however neither the 480p or 60hz 480i modes are compatible with the GameCube software. The system will automatically revert to 576i - which is a bit of a shame.

IGN

Edit: GC games do support 60hz.

Then how about VC games, in America they even support progressive scan, if they supported that here wouldn't it make the VC games show in 60 hz? That could be the saving grace for PAL VC...

Unfortunately, although the most innovative in many ways, Nintendo are still sticking to a lot of the old formulas which sony and microsoft have abandoned. Making pal users suffer is sadly one of them.

Althought you have to concede that Sony are doing worse unto the PAL users than Nintendo....;)

Who the hell doesn't have a TV that supports 60hz?

Its been standard for the last 4 or 5 years.

First of all, people don't replace their television sets that often. Some of us even have 10-20 year old sets. Furthermore, you didn't saw the panic that rised on Nintendo of Finland's official forums when someone speculated that Wii wouldn't support 50 hz at all.

In some ways but not others, at least the ps3 is region free.

At least PS3 is region free, but Sony is doing its best shutting down any import shops who would send PS3 software to Europe. :)