NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Online gaming coming in......

Q2 2007

Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that Wii gamers will be able to play games online from the second quarter of 2007. Reggie's pledge came in an interview with SpikeTV's Game Head show (which saw the Ninty president indulging in some bowling - of both the real-life and Wii variety), where he also let slip that more Wii channels were in the works.

So far, Japan is the only region with a Wii game [Pokémon Battle Revolution - Ed] that can be played online. However, that's set to change in the coming months, with Fils-Aime promising, "The multiplayer is coming. During the Japanese launch, there is Pokémon Battle Revolution, and that's really the first one. There will be titles that we'll be announcing in first quarter 2007, that'll be multiplayer-enabled. So during second quarter 2007, people will be able to have a multiplayer experience on Wii." In further good news for Wii fans, Fils-Aime revealed that Nintendo was hard at work developing more Wii channels, though revealed nothing about what they would involve.

He was also kept busy when it came to defending the Wii controller from accusations that it may be a tad gimmicky. "I've had the opportunity to play Zelda, Excite Truck, Wii Sports, a little bit of Red Steel, a little bit of Madden," said Reggie. "It doesn't get old. It really doesn't get old. Wii will only become a gimmick if it's marginalised in terms of the way the remote is used, and we have absolutely no indication that that's going to happen."

Aside from that, Fils-Aime also discussed the "Wii60" phrase coined by Microsoft's Peter Moore ("Can I endorse the 360? Honestly, no"), the prospect of Mario appearing in a GTA-style game ("You'll never see that") what game he thinks would be best online ("The ultimate one would be Mario Kart, on a multiplayer basis"), and generally came across as a fairly good egg.

Mind you, his real-life bowling skills suck.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6107

but for europe ... it could be later :(

The main reason for a wii over keeping the gamecube was online play for me.

For Europe hopefully Q3/Q4.Though it's good to hear that there's more online games in the works!

Isn't Metroid due March/April?

Hasn't it recently been delayed, despite seemingly going well in development?

Am I just hoping too much?

Yeah, Metroid will most likely be in the first half of the year. It was already set to launch with the Wii, unlike SMG and SSBB.

Mario Kart 16 players online would be cool.

But then against they'll go with 8 players probably.

Good news, but why not sooner?

Didnt Iwata and Fils-Aime confirm that Smash Bros would be an online title. Hope that hasnt changed! And without a doubt Mario Kart is being planned online.

Although I have Metroid Prime Hunters on DS, i'm still not convinced Metroid would make a good multiplayer games - just look at Echoes. But then times have changed.

Wouldnt Disaster: Day of Crisis make a great online Co-Op title. And Project HAMMER.:bouncy:

I want some good online fighters damnit! Street Fighter....If only...

I want some good fecking fighters full stop. PS3 has Tekken , VF5, and Soul Calibur 3 was only on PS2 aswell. Dead or Alive 4 was good but unbalanced in my view, and aside from that I can't really see too much.

Hopefully Dead or Alive 5 will be better because I've just had to re-buy Soul Calibur 2 to play on Gamecube/Wii.

One thing they NEED to do in the Wii's second/third year is 30-player online F-Zero. (I'd say Xmas 2008)

One thing they NEED to do in the Wii's second/third year is 30-player online F-Zero. (I'd say Xmas 2008)

That would be hectic.

Why so long for Nintendo to establish their service that while free which is great is inferior to its competitors offerings? Perhaps a clever little strategy in attempt to sell more opera Wii browsers...

I want some good online fighters damnit! Street Fighter....If only...

XboxLive Arcade.

Reality.

They need to do that, but knowing Nintendo they will only JUST about manage 4.

This does seem stupid. Surely online at launch wouldn't be impossible (especially if it wasn't in Japan). Does this mean than NO 3rd party titles could be online until nintendo say so?

that's poo.

HERE HERE!

And then Nintendo needs to make an MMO Starfox game, I mean like a huge universe of flying around in space or on planets, with insane dogfights with rediculous amounts of players, the landmaster and submarine could also make a return, but no on-foot crap.

The game would also have an on-rails single player mode, and would be worthy of the name Starfox Armada (the previous name for Assault).

Pokemon Battle Revolution: Online

BWii: Online

Smash Bros. Brawl: Online

Other Games to be announced: Online!!!

Like totally ZOMG what could these other games be!? and also what about the new Wii channels?

I can't wait to see what they are going to announce, then i can't wait for two years to pass so we can se them in europe! (joke)

This looks like it is definite that Europe will have at least one online game in 2007!!!

More good news for us!

BAtallion wars is online or at least has a LAN mode.

I expect mario football to be also

BWii and Smash will be online when they come out. Hopefully these will be the first games that use online. Would make my summer fly by.

Not very bothered actually.

Mind you, I want to play Pokemon, Mario Kart and Smash Online, but I want things to be done right.

Sign in to follow this