NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Synaesthetic? Post here!

I saw in the other thread about uniqueness that some people(well, I only saw Letty and Supergrunch) have synesthesia, and I wanted to hear more about it from them! I came across it quite recently in a lecture(Psychology Undergrad) but as far as I'm aware I have yet to actually encounter someone who has it, despite the lecturer telling me it's fairly common. Anyhoo, I just wanted to hear more about it from people who have it, such as how it manifests itself in your case etc...

(I dunno if Synesthesic is acutally a word, I made it up)

EDIT:It is apparently synaesthetic, so anyone feel free to fix my title for me *looks at Shorty*

I've got a very, very mild version of this. I generally 'experience' a colour with other thingsm but not strongly. I've also described tingly yellow feelings and people have no idea what I'm on about. But it's not hugely noticeable, as if the colours and assosciations are behind a veil. WIkipedia has got an intersting page on this

Basically my synaesthesia mainly manifests itself quite mildly, with things like associating days of the week with colours and so forth. I'm always very sure of the colour, and have got into arguments with other synaesthetes (such as my sister- it appears to be genetic to some degree) about this sort of thing. I occasionally show signs of having it more strongly- for instance, I taste paper cuts, and on one occasion smelt the atomosphere of a room.

There's a children's book about synaethesia called Mondays are Red (despite the fact that they are blue :heh: ) which explains it. I think theres a chapter called "strawberries smell like circles", and I kind of know what it means... the author, however, is not synaesthetic.

EDIT: This BBC page has quite a lot on synaesthesia, and there are links to tests down the side.

(I dunno if Synesthesic is acutally a word, I made it up)

The word would appear to be "synaesthetic" :heh: I can fix your title if you'd like? Edit: Done.

I'd never heard of anyone with this before the two in the MPotD thread. Sounds quite interesting and quirky to have, though I wouldn't know for sure of course. Maybe it's irritating? The only reason I knew what it was, was from looking it up after first hearing the word as a song title. Back when I was really into AFI (ie, before they went pop-shite), they released a song called Synthesthesia (mispelt even in America, apparently intentionally).

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the condition, but it was a good track :D

I've never really thought about this before, but I do associate colours with numbers (1 and 2 are blue, 3 is yellow, 4 is red etc.) and days of the week (mondays are yellow, tuesdays are orange etc.). I don't know if that counts.

The word would appear to be "synaesthetic" :heh: I can fix your title if you'd like?

I'd never heard of anyone with this before the two in the MPotD thread. Sounds quite interesting and quirky to have, though I wouldn't know for sure of course. Maybe it's irritating? The only reason I knew what it was, was from looking it up after first hearing the word as a song title. Back when I was really into AFI (ie, before they went pop-shite), they released a song called Synthesthesia (mispelt even in America, apparently intentionally).

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the condition, but it was a good track :D

No, it's not irritatimg... it's quite fun really- it gives you another dimension to look at things with. Apparently some people find it annoying though- on the BBC program there was a barman who experienced really strong tastes whenever he read or heard words, so he sometimes couldn't concentrate when driving and got annoyed when he had a customer called Derek, because it always made him taste earwax.

I've never really thought about this before, but I do associate colours with numbers (1 and 2 are blue, 3 is yellow, 4 is red etc.) and days of the week (mondays are yellow, tuesdays are orange etc.). I don't know if that counts.

Yes, that does mean that you have mild synaesthesia. It can be more subtle than you'd think. Plus, lots of people assume everyone else has it, and only find out when they ask people things like "what colour are Mondays for you?" and get confused looks back.

I think there was a guy on TV who was synaesthetic, and had memorised pi to thousands of decimal places. He said that he saw it as a landscape, and if one of the digits was wrong, it looked like a gaping hole.

There was also a woman who said that a Canadian accent was oranger than an American accent. I know what she means.

am im not sure what that is can someone explain it to me?Sorry if it's a stupid question

Look at the FAQ I posted earlier- that explains it.

Well, I basically see any word and its a colour, things like numbers and letters and words as a whole. Also, sounds and tastes have colours, and when I see things, I can sometimes taste other things

I can sometimes taste smalls... does that count?

Could be. But what most people think is taste is actually olfaction, which is done by the nose. All the tongue does is distinguish between sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami (savoury).

Letty, do you agree that synaethesia is nothing like this picture (taken from wikipedia):

Synestheticwiki3.png

Anyway, Shino, you are light blue, and the word "n-europe" is orange.

I have never heard of this before! It seems like its a really interesting experience, as if words and sounds etc are re-inforcing their meanings with a colour or taste!

What colour am i?

I have never heard of this before! It seems like its a really interesting experience, as if words and sounds etc are re-inforcing their meanings with a colour or taste!

What colour am i?

Yellow.

By the way, other synaesthetes will probably disagree totally with all these colours.

Letty, do you agree that synaethesia is nothing like this picture (taken from wikipedia):

Synestheticwiki3.png

I do agree.

Also, this forum is purple and shino is orange

I can sometimes taste smalls... does that count?

I always thought that was normal. Then again, I've never asked anyone about it.

Hmmm, I took that test on the BBC website. Appears I'm the most un-synaesthetic person in existence. I scored 0 on everything.

I do agree.

Also, this forum is purple and shino is orange

What colour am I letty?

I think ill use these colours in my next sig request!

Wish I had this; would probably help with thinking of creative ideas and drawing and the like. It sounds very cool.

What colour am I letty?

I think ill use these colours in my next sig request!

Conzer = green

16 = white and brown

I want to be a color! I've never heard of synaethesia it sounds really interesting and would actually very interesting if I had it! I'm very jealous of Letty and Supergrunch!

If i had this I would spend hours in art galleries would be great fun.

What happens if you look at a picture and it an optical illusion does the other sense change with the appearence of the object?

Conzer = green

16 = white and brown

Well Jordan, you are blue for me...

I want to be a color! I've never heard of synaethesia it sounds really interesting and would actually very interesting if I had it! I'm very jealous of Letty and Supergrunch!

And being a marshmallow, you are pink...

Sign in to follow this