NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dannbrownn

Nintendo Wii Launch Date Announced!!!

Myamoto said that they wanted it €100, but they couldn't reach that price because of the expensive parts like Wifi and fglash. That's what I heard. But combining that with retailers, make is €250. And Ireland is being ripped off. No other country pays that much.

$100 actually.

The dual disc drive, wireless technology and flash are all very expensive components.

There is a website that takes technology apart, finds the serial numbers and calculates bulk values for each piece of equipment.. adds a few hours cheap labour and shipping costs from the factory to the US. Calculating a roughly accurate mark up value.

I'll see if they've done it for Wii.

No, not at all. Nintendo themselves have said that the Wii could be a lot cheaper but the retailers actually requested for a higher price. It's disappointing really.

I thought that news was later said to be not true though?

The thing of course is that Nintendo is actually making a profit on the console from day one, and I actually don't blame them for doing so. Like they said, they're only in the games industry and -have- to make money on it. They don't have other motives like Sony and Microsoft, they're just about making games.

Also, I never heard Nintendo themselves say that the price would be lower than 250. Other people did of course. Their fault for being disappointed now. Besides, the Wii is only 50 more expensive than the GC (I think I paid 200 euro for it at the time), plus you get a free game thrown in there. Sounds fair to me.

N64 + GameCube got a price drop, they offered a thank you pack worth £110 but in reality the thank you pack probably cost them less than the profit they made originally.

GAME, GameStop, Smyths Toys are probably the biggest retailers in Ireland for games.

GAME havent confirmed a price to me yet. Every time I ask them they mumble oh probably about €270, give or take a tenner.

GameStop have been confirmed to be retailing Wii for €269.99. And I will presume Smyths are more expensive as they always are.

Even http://www.komplett.ie are selling for €275.

we get ripped off all the time.But seriously man stay away from game and smyths for hardware.They charged an extra tenner for the ds at its time but gamestop charged the proper 150euro at the time

I was expecting a 149.99 console, with games being 29.99 each from online stores. I also wanted a black console with dvd playback.

I've decided that I will wait for the black Wii to be released, with DVD playback..otherwise I would just end up buying 2 consoles. They'll probably knock the price down later in 2007 and offer some exclusive zelda for new customers.;) I'll wait for as long as it takes.

Something else I'm a bit disappointed about is the fact that some of the games have turned out to be a bit more pants than expected, according to some sources. Namely I'm talking about Red Steel, and I also heard some people saying ExciteTruck wasn't all that either.

Lack of colour choice also, what a stupid thing!

Namely I'm talking about Red Steel, and I also heard some people saying ExciteTruck wasn't all that either

Indeed, i am especially worried about the comments on excite truck as it has been my third most anticipated wii game, the speed of still looks great but i have heard that it's speed makes it difficult to play! It is another wait and see situation... so lets wait and see!

Indeed, i am especially worried about the comments on excite truck as it has been my third most anticipated wii game, the speed of still looks great but i have heard that it's speed makes it difficult to play! It is another wait and see situation... so lets wait and see!

yeah same here, does worry me, excitetruck looked awesome and looked like it would single handedly make up for the lack of good racers at launch. But now I'm not so sure, I think it has maybe got criticism because it is very shallow arcadey racer and people don't like that in this sim/realistic era, unless people are ridge racer purists and then thats fine! (altho they are aren't that shallow now)

Looks like its the cow racing game on Wii Play for me now...

Don't lock this thread, good discussion topic!

Perosnally i'm very happy. £180 is really what i would've expected, The controller, well it's the same as a retail Wavebird (£30). Though as this is my first proper console launch, i'm naturally going to be vvery excited.

But with a Nunckuck it's not and they're more-or-less needed.

It's also my 1st console I'm getting at launch :D

But with a Nunckuck it's not and they're more-or-less needed.

It's also my 1st console I'm getting at launch :D

nunchucks aren't too important, really nunchucks are more single player neccessary. I know one person getting a Wii, one hoping for launch day Wii (or purchasing one whenever they become available instores) so if I get one spare contrroller then that should be enough.

waiting does seem a good plan really, especially if you haven't got a preorder

1)I'm waiting fro the internal memory to get an increase (1Gb isn't that much more expensive than 512Mb).

2)price drop

3)greater range of games.

once manufacture can equal demand 1 and 2 will happen, I imagine. when that is who knows (DS lite took a few months didn't it?)

the main reason I'm not waiting though is I need to replace my cube, and it just seems smarter to get a brand new wii than a second hand cube

im having a tough time trying to decide what to get. All i know for definate is im getting a wii and red steel. Now comes the hard part do i get wii play and a second remote (even though no one in my house plays it i may decide to take it to a friends but not very often, but i think they would enjoy wii sport and red steel) or do i get another single player game like zelda( i have never played a zelda game and would not know where to start) or marvel ultimate alliance( a game that i like the look of and think i would enjoy)

plus can anyone help me i am wanting to trade a few games in at GAME but dont know a rough guide for them can anybody help :-the games are:-

another code

phoenix wright

trauma center

rayman ds

smach bros (gc)

animal crossing (gc)

any help greatly appreciated adam

nunchucks aren't too important, really nunchucks are more single player neccessary. I know one person getting a Wii, one hoping for launch day Wii (or purchasing one whenever they become available instores) so if I get one spare contrroller then that should be enough.

I don't know, i would say that for most games the nunchuck will be vital for multi-player as well as single player.

Non Nunchuck games that i can think of: Wii Sports except wii boxing, Wii Play except tanks, Some of rayman, Monkey Ball, Warioware, GT Pro Series and a few other i am sure.

But we must remember that we are also going to be buying games like red steel and all fps's will need both controllers as well as adventure games and sports games, as well as the usual rush of movie tie ins.

I look at it like this, if a ds game needs you to use buttons as well as a stylus then you will need a nunchuck to play a wii version.

It all comes down to personal choice, for me the idea of playing wii boxing multi-player is by itself reason enough, but then when it comes to some of the mini games in rayman they really do look awesome in multi-player, and also if i get one now i wont have to think about it again!

To sum up in a way that makes the rest of this post irrelevant...

It all depends on what games you want to play!

I don't really think Nintendo will change the consoles insides. They will, in no way, upgrade the internal memory to 1 Gb. That wouldn't be fair to the early adaptors. Nintendo could have made the DS firmware-updateable or more internal memory for this thing, but they didn't. Because they're happy with this. If you want more memory, get a SD card seperatly. Second, I think the price is really good and accurate and for a launch, ut's great. People from my class are telling me that 250 euros is a fair price for new hardware launches, and they don't know the slightest thing about videogames.

Controllers, however, are a bit too expensive and so is the nunchuk. I don't really understand why they're sold seperatly. My first Wiiimote, though, will be bundled with Wii Play, so I've got no problem payer an extra fiver for it, and I wouldn't have had any problem giving an extra twenty for it. I think it's a neat little extra.

Aside from that, I understand Nintendo 'one colour, one setup' point-of-view. No Black is probably bad for a few, but it's a smart move. Their advertisements just work in white and the console production is ramped up because of the one colour setup. And if Black was another option, some people would be dissapointed because the blacks or whites were sold out on launch day. It's a smart move. Proud of you, Nintendo.

Sign in to follow this