NEurope
Nintendork

SSX Blur

LMAO, thanks, I was laughing myself when I posted how much I hated the game then came back to it and half hour later I was loving it..

This game is weird! Or maybe it's me? I have little problem performing the uber tricks in the halfpipe, but I just can't do them in any other event! :confused:

I think it's you lol, I haven't found any difference in anything like that.

The control system is great if you invest a little time to learn how it works.

It would be missing the point if you mastered every control/trick and uber on first attempt.

Its a decent game imo & a worthy of the purchase.

Well, I know alot of people here are having problems with Uber tricks. So am I.

To someone who mastered them: where is the remote supposed to be pointing? Do I draw the motiono n the screen, move the remote in the motion while its pointing at it, hold the remote vertically and do it...? I just can't seem to even get the trick started, never mind land it, which is really frustrating. Also, do I have to draw the one on the bottom of hte screen, or can I do any of the ones I have unlocked at any time?

In the training bit I just couldn't do it, then I went into the race and tried it and did it first time. Also did the heart shaped one and forgot the other one.

I can't even do the heart in the training:heh:

I've only ever done the zigzag one in the game, and only once, haven't really been playing the game much:)

I am happier with the game than when I 1st played it.

Well, I know alot of people here are having problems with Uber tricks. So am I.

To someone who mastered them: where is the remote supposed to be pointing? Do I draw the motiono n the screen, move the remote in the motion while its pointing at it, hold the remote vertically and do it...? I just can't seem to even get the trick started, never mind land it, which is really frustrating. Also, do I have to draw the one on the bottom of hte screen, or can I do any of the ones I have unlocked at any time?

I havent mastered them either

Have you tried the uber training bit ?

It allows you to get the technique of gestures mastered without being on the board. Try also varying your time on doing the gesture.

I spent a good half-hour or more earlier tonight continually repeating the uber tricks tutorial. And I did eventually manage to get some to work. :yay:

Sharply made but well-defined gestures seem to work best in my opinion. Also, keeping the Wii remote flat as you move it laterally and vertically seems to give better results.

But even then it still feels very hit or miss.

As Cozm1c suggests, you definitely need to keep the remote flat in order to get the ubertricks to work. Even a slight tilt of the controller can prevent it working.

I'm still on peak one but am really enjoying this game a lot. I'm taking time to learn all the tricks and improve my skill levels etc. I'm not very good at the slalom bit of the second tournament but working on my technique.

Finally , things seem to be clicking a little more now.

Ubers are still a problem , I can nail the heart shaped one regularly but just can't seem to get any others (got the Z one once but nothing since).

Most events on Peak 1 have been won by a selection of characters and after many , many hours of frustration and various swearwords I finally got the slalom down (that was just plain evil). So Peak 2 is now mine to explore.

I am enjoying this a lot more now , but I still get the occasional Wii crash and this game seems to be killing my batteries far quicker than anything else I have played (time for rechargeables methinks).

Peak 2 is massive!

Ubers are still a bit hard - I can do the single loop one nearly every time, and the Z shape one is fine, but can't do the others.

I've had some good (and close) 2 player races, the basics of the controls are quite easy.

Ugh, with Super Paper Mario around the corner, I need to give this one a pass :sad:

Such a shame.

I've only spent around 4 hours on the game, but the controls are great. The basic controls (turning, accelerating, breaking, jumps, basic tricks) are easy to get to grips with (I played two player against a non-gamer, who's previous Wii experience is one round of Tennis, it was actually quite close), and the game starts off easy and gets progressively hard. Uber tricks are hard, but rewarding when you pull them off.

The game is also quite large - I'm only so far as Peak 2, but I'm already loving the size, it feels like one top-of-the-range ski/snowboarding resort. Actually, I should probably try the ski's out sometime. It looks lovely, too, the designers have done a really good job, there's also different kinds of snow - with different sound effects and different effects on the way your snowboard runs across it. This also helps the game flow as well as it does.

The normal tricks are easy to perform, and it just takes a simple press of the "A" button to land, and falling over can be rectified quickly anyway (just one quick shake of both hands), grinding starts of hard, but gets easier as you get used to the balance. Grabbing is easy to do, but I tend t forget about them for some reason. The uber system is good too, you do tricks, the meter fills up, as it fills up the tricks look better, and (i think) get more points, getting it to the highest stage and doing an uber trick is very rewarding.

Each mode requires a different mode of play, it's just a case of finding how to play is. Going as fast as you can and doing tricks every now and then for the races, trick combos (grinds, grabs, spins, flips) for the slopeside and big air points modes, precision for the halfpipe, and using the break for greater turns on the slalom mode.

Exploration is well encouraged too, extra challenges, learning the courses, finding icons to unlock new uber tricks, and there's a Yeti out there somewhere too. The music is good too, and feels connected to your character - which actually encourages you to do well, and perform tricks.

Overall, a great game. The characters could do with a bit more...personality, tho.

edit: I'd also like to point out that the Wii is the first console that I've owned 9 games for within it's first year. And it hasn't even been 6 months.

Anyone got any good tips on the slalom tournament on Peak 1? I can't improve on 4th place and need to hit a much quicker time to progress. I start off fine as the first bit is quite easy but then you go over a slight bump and the flags are space further apart. It all comes undone here as my momentum means it's hard to pull back. I try tilting the remote backwards, which slows me down but often not enough and I still miss the flag. I then pile on loads of extra seconds for missed gates leaving me in fourth place.

I really want to progress as the slalom event is tedious and I'd prefer to spend my time racing and doing tricks!

I really want to progress as the slalom event is tedious and I'd prefer to spend my time racing and doing tricks!

For that section, break as hard as you can, and turn as far as you can, then accelerate. Repeat.

Anyone got any good tips on the slalom tournament on Peak 1?

After hitting the last blug flag before the series of jumps , I went quite wide left and managed to avoid the jump , keep braking down the slope and you should find a suitable line for the rest of them.

I can't even do the half pipe events - the tricks just seems to be a case of "press Z and B, swing the remote in some direction." I'm sure I'll get used to it though. I'm enjoying just carving along the slopes, anyway.

Anyone got any good tips on the slalom tournament on Peak 1? I can't improve on 4th place and need to hit a much quicker time to progress. I start off fine as the first bit is quite easy but then you go over a slight bump and the flags are space further apart. It all comes undone here as my momentum means it's hard to pull back. I try tilting the remote backwards, which slows me down but often not enough and I still miss the flag. I then pile on loads of extra seconds for missed gates leaving me in fourth place.

Check out Youtube for a video on how to do that.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm now onto Peak 2 finally, but not before a lot of swearing. Thought I was never going to get there and think I just fluked it really.

I experienced a weird glitch last night. I started a race but the ground in front of me had disappeared and all the boarders just kept falling into an abyss. I eventually got onto solid ground and finished the race, 240 seconds or similar ahead of everyone else, but the results at the end only said that I finished 20 seconds ahead. Odd.

How do I unlock Peak 2? I have got all gold stars with the black character, Elmo is it? I haven't done any tournaments though, how do you enter a tournment?

2nd best Wii game for me. SSX Blur > Excite Truck.

How do I unlock Peak 2? I have got all gold stars with the black character, Elmo is it? I haven't done any tournaments though, how do you enter a tournment.

+ menu, Tournaments. Or near the start, there are two big billboards - one for tournaments and one for peaks. Second tournament unlocks peak 2, 4th unlocks peak 3.

And peak 3 is truly immense. Just unlocked it - first run down I went down a very steep section, with limited visibility due to the snow. and massive rocks. Fantastic. Oh, and I was lucky in the path I "chose", as I ended up on peak 2.

It just clicked. I just played it again, and it worked. Everything worked. Other than uber tricks, which I made no attempt to do anyway, it was fantastic. I finally "get" the controls. Came first in a few races, half pipe event, and two score challenges. Fantastic game. As I progress, I'll have to judge that claim of SSX > Excite Truck...but I can see it happening.

I'd like to point out something I just realised about the uber tricks:

The game shows you a pattern at the bottom of the screen..well, that is actually simply a suggestion of what to do. Quite useless. When in the air you can do any unlocked uber trick, when you want. You don't have to wait for the icon to show up - my point scores were much higher once I noticed that (As I started the uber tricks asap, rather than wasting time waiting for the icon)