NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

Smoking ban comes kick in on July 1st 2007

Almost one in five deaths in 2004 among adults over the age of 35 were due to smoking, according to figures issued by the health and social care Information Centre

What are the bigger problems faced by the UK Coo?

I'm not disputing its not a problem also, but with the whole muslim thing, soldiers in iraq, poverty, heating bills (more elderly people die from the cold in winter than people do of smoking) transport etc, it just seems like the government are focusing too much on the smoking bans.

obviously im biased though, as i smoke.

Again, I know the pub owner will face a fine. But the pub owner will face a fine if someone under the age of 18 is drinking... and I'm sure we all know that in about 50% of the pubs you go to you have people under that drinking.

Good news for me. Im fed up coming out of pubs/bars/clubs stinking of smoke when I dont smoke myself.

Bring it on.

Again, I know the pub owner will face a fine. But the pub owner will face a fine if someone under the age of 18 is drinking... and I'm sure we all know that in about 50% of the pubs you go to you have people under that drinking.

Surely the difference is that you're more likely to have public enforcement in regards to smoking? I mean if I was in a non-smoking area and someone next to me lit up, I wouldn't sit there and put up despite my meekness. Most people just try to ignore the obviously underage drinkers, but it's hard to ignore people smoking as it directly affects everyone around them.

I don't even go to pubs as I don't drink, but I still see this as a welcome development.

I'm not disputing its not a problem also, but with the whole muslim thing, soldiers in iraq, poverty, heating bills (more elderly people die from the cold in winter than people do of smoking) transport etc, it just seems like the government are focusing too much on the smoking bans.

obviously im biased though, as i smoke.

Oh ho, this is going to be a fun one. Let's hear you elaborate on that bit then.

I was talking about the problem with the head dresses or whatever, havent heard much about it but what i have heard is shocking. people should be allowed to dress however they want without being acused of terrorism.

whole different argument though.

Aha, my apologies. I got the wrong end of the stick there. I agree with you on that one, dude. I'm just in a tetchy mood after an argument with one of my flatmates who thinks there's nothing wrong with calling people "pakis".

There are no pros to smoking!

lol ok you're right. I think I worded my post badly.

What I meant was, from the point of view of principles of freedom, it would seem odd to force people not to smoke in public houses. It's like banning selling games because some people think it's bad for you. I had called that "pros". It's badly worded.

I don't like smoking. I don't like people smoking around me. I was just talking impartially as usual, purely from academic point of view and concluded that this law MAY BE too draconian. I still support it though... if I were to drop the impartiality.

Talking of which, we should be more strict in dealing with drug dealers and addicts.

heating bills (more elderly people die from the cold in winter than people do of smoking)

They get a large fuel allowance off the Labour government: £100-£300, plus they get pensions and other allowences. They are a lot better off that a few years ago. Anyway!

Smoking is a disgusting habit imo, it tastes foul and yeah, it kills people - lots of people. Tonnes of hospital admissions are caused by it and I'd say that at least a 1/4 of all people i see on wards have a disease caused by smoking. Any measure that might help reduce this is obviosly a good thing.

However, its sucky that pub owners might lose out in commerce, but it would be nice to come home smelling cleaner than usual.

There will be a large increase in beer garden usage.

More and more pubs will offer outdoor seating.

They can ban smoking in as many places as they want and they can also slap labels on cigarette packets saying "IF YOU SMOKE IT WILL KILL YOU" but somehow people just seem to keep right on doing it. The appeal of smoking has never really been clear to me, what with the health risks and great expensive involved. It's all just a little bit crazy.

difference is drinking for 18+ is ok, so its easy enough to blend in. the smoking ban is blanket for all people.

Aha, my apologies. I got the wrong end of the stick there. I agree with you on that one, dude. I'm just in a tetchy mood after an argument with one of my flatmates who thinks there's nothing wrong with calling people "pakis".

Its no difference to someone calling me a Brit.

The chances of a pub having a regular group of heavy smokers is slim.

I don't think people will be able to ignore this.. there is a social responsibility.

I mean you could smoke weed.. but people don't, because there is that social pressure to conform.

There are some private clubs which are making their staff sign waivers that everyone can smoke.. but that of course is exempt because it's private.

Smoking in public is okay as long as it is outside and not around children in my eyes. I don't think the smoking ban carries this.

It would be infringing upon civil liberties if everyone had to go to a designated area.

The wind diffuses the smoke real easy.

I think this ban only covers enclosed spaces and places of work.

Also landlords will lose their license if they actively serve under 18s or smokers. They wouldn't risk it.

cant wait for this ban i hate going to the pub then coming back with my clean clothes reeking of smoke. I like going down the pub but i dont want to breathe in 2nd hand smoke.

To be honest the smoke in a pub or club doesn't bother me the only time I am bothered by smoking is when I am walking down the street and I get a great big load of the stuff in my face.

Will be interesting to see what pubs smell like without this ban i'm expecting piss and beer.

For me, the act of smoking itself seems ok, but I don't like ciggy butts on streets. I don't like anyone chucking anything on streets, and smokers seem too comfortable to throw away their ciggies anywhere they want.

I don't think people will be able to ignore this.. there is a social responsibility.

I mean you could smoke weed.. but people don't, because there is that social pressure to conform.

You seem to talk from principle's point of view, in which case it's a deep swamp to get into because generally people tend to have an incomplete vision of technical vs moral values without ever realising.

Take for instance the line "Smoking in public is okay as long as it is outside and not around children in my eyes." That is truly the depth of the swamp. That line depends on what you consider as a 'child'. If you took someone who's 1 second before his/her 18th birthday, I reckon you would consider him/her as child. But in practice there is no difference between him/her and another who is 1 second older. Personally, I've always had problems dealing with that sort of field where there is a collision between technicality and reality.

It's a fine line to tread. Any issue that involves a definitive "line" tends to boil down to this, because humanity is by nature ambiguous and inexact. Technicality, on the other hand, is man-made and exact. Our opinions are fashioned accordingly, mostly without us ever realising so.

Its no difference to someone calling me a Brit.

It's totally different. The word "Brit" wasn't used to subjugate and discriminate against an entire race.

It's about bloody time. I've never understood why smoking is permitted in places like restaurants but it's great that there's going to be a ban on all public places.

I hate going to a club with a jacket on and coming back with it smelling of smoke. It's not so bad with clothes because they're straight in the wash anyway but you generally don't wash jackets as often.

I think it's a good idea, I mean, it's not going to kill those smokers to just go and step outside for a smoke(does it apply to pubs where there are outside areas?). I don't smoke myself, unless I'm drunk, and I wouldn't mind doing that outside anyway. There's a wetherspoons near me thats been non smoking since april, I used to go there alot when I was younger, but I've only been back a few times since the smoking thing. I have to say though, it does feel nicer being in a smoke free pub.

I go to a place in my hometown regularly that i just cant stand. Mainly because of the absolutely dreadful playlist (death metal), the complete wierdos that inhabit it and the ammount of smoke. The place is small with the only ventilation being the bouncer opening the door every 5 mins every hour, so naturally, when the ban is implemented it will become a more enjoyable place to be.

Second hand smoking is something i feel strongly about but i wouldnt really say anything to somebody smoking near me, i just feel that this new ban could make smokers social outcasts (which would probably suit alot of people anyway)

Cant wait though personally

I'm all for the smoking ban, I feel like I can't breathe normally when people are smoking nearby so I find it hard to ignore in restaurants/pubs. If it leads to less people smoking in the long wrong then even better.

All the people praising this new thing are a bunch of hypocrites. If something else was banned that they liked, they'd scream fire and yell about how the government ensures there's no freedom anymore. I have smoked for about 10 years, I've been off it for some time but even I think this is utter nonsense.

Think about it, what if the goverment started to forbid alcohol? What if they started to forbid... hell, I don't know, to whistle? It's just plain stupid.

Good thing I live in the Netherlands. We can even smoke weed. You Britains have a stick up in your ass, me thinks.

Don't take it personal : peace:

its about banning smoking in public places not in general though. so thats pubs, clubs, restaurants, bus shelters (lmao) and other places.

i'm really looking forward to going out and not being forced to suffer the smoke haze and it making my clothes smell horrible. also my throat shall be jumping for joy once it comes into effect :D

smoking is stupid in the first place. i think its more stupid than doing weed as it doesn't really have any effect on you till you get addicted to the nicotine and then it just tars up your lungs . . . yummy.

i think the government is doing the right thing as it will discourage people from smoking without forcing it upon them to quit altogether.

Sign in to follow this