NEurope
Mokong

The Console Price went up?

Wasn't the euro price of the Wii meant to be 250 (well 249.99) ?

When i first made my pre-order it was actually 259.99, though that was expected, i'm sure we've all experienced retailers marking up the RRP.

And when the adverts started showing on the TV here i noticed the price said 259.99euro, since i didn't say (at least i think it didn't) RRP, i figured Nintendo got aware that retailers were marking it up by another 10 so decided to avoid confusion by using their price in the adverts.

I went to the store where i made my pre-order today, i wanted to check how much i had left to pay off (knowing i should only have balance left on the games and extras i pre-ordered, since i paid off, or thought i had paid off, the Wii console a few weeks ago).

Then I was told i still had 10 euro left to pay off on the Wii console. I was a little confused, i was sure i paid it off, then i thought, maybe i was wrong. But when i got home i checked my pre-order receipts and the last receipt i have on my Wii pre-order is 110.99 euro. I would never pay the 99cents unless it was part of the final balance and i do now recall when paying that asking how much was left on it and then said i'd pay it all off, hence why the 99cents is there.

So this means that in the last month the price went up by 10euro, i would say maybe the store just decided to add another 10euro themseleves BUT with the TV adverts saying 259euro instead of 249euro this means Nintendo (quietly) added another 10euro themseleves.

Or am i just going crazy?

Wasn't it an ERP over here though, and not a RRP? That might have something to do with an unexpected price rise, which I was hoping wouldn't happen.

However, the explanation of your post confused me, and it may possibly be a mistake on the stores part, definitely check it and ask them whats going on.

£179.99 was estimated, they hoped to offer it lower.

Either they aren't bullshitting us and the wireless tech actually costs this much. OR they are using the popularity to milk it for profit.

Either way I'm happy Nintendo is making a profit from launch, it's reasonably priced at €249/£179.

I hope those profits are passed onto us in the release schedules and invested in our future games appropriately.

No i just check news stories from when the Euro launch details were annouced, it was annouced at 249.99, my store was charging 259.99 which i expected as its common so wasn't too fussed.

Like i said the TV adverts now also show 259.99, but i thought this was to avoid confusion when Nintendo realised retailers were adding 10euro.

I had my 259.99 paid off a month ago, like i said the last receipt has 99cent on it, i wouldn't have paid for that 99cent unless it was the final balance payment, but today i had to pay another 10, the store did say, its 269.99 now

OR they are using the popularity to milk it for profit.

I hope those profits are passed onto us in the release schedules and invested in our future games appropriately.

I think they were gonna stick with the 249.99 price but on seeing the US launch reaction and pre-order reaction here they likely figured lets add another 10.

I'm not totally pissed, another is fine and worth it in my books, it's just annoying that nothing was said by Nintendo that this would/has happened.

And yeah like you said, as long as they make a profit and we the gamer see a return of this in the near furture (a quick drop in Wiimote and Nunchuck price would be nice, or a bundle pack)

I'm pretty sure I'm still going to be paying £179.99 at Gamestation. I seem to remember someone saying that the price in Ireland might be a bit higher than RRP, but I can't remember who or when...

Are you sure it's not sales tax? I think the PS3's £425 is pre VAT (which would make it a cool £500)

Mokong you're right. I've only seen a few Wii and Zelda ads, and it says on the bottom of the screen

Wii console and Wii sports for around €259.99

I fully expect to pay anything up to €270 for it.

The Wii is being advertised by stores over here as costing 149.99 euro, which is the price Nintendo said it should be. Sounds weird that they would ask more than that over there.

*hopes they don't change the price over here* >.>;

The Wii is being advertised by stores over here as costing 149.99 euro, which is the price Nintendo said it should be. Sounds weird that they would ask more than that over there.

*hopes they don't change the price over here* >.>;

a hundred and fifty euros is an absolute :shock: bargain! Im for Belgium, who's coming with me?

I hope to god Eunuh that is a typo and you mean 249.99. Otherwise I'm cancelling my pre-order here and getting one in Belgium!

I hope to god Eunuh that is a typo and you mean 249.99. Otherwise I'm cancelling my pre-order here and getting one in Belgium!

Haha, me too.

Here it seems to be comon practise to add a bit extra to hardware RRP, after all the price Nintendo gives is "Recommended", retailers can use that and add some if they think they can get away with it.

But if it's still being advertised as 249.99 in mainland Europe, and the UK price is still the same, why has our RRP gone up?

EDIT:

Hey Conzer, i only just realised how much your Mii avatar is spot on, haha

It's probably because Irish retailers will source their stock through the UK, and considering the UK price is higher than the €€€ price the Irish retailers increase their prices in order to have a satisfactory margin.

Also don't foget Irelands recent Rip off Republic status. Or the one the retailers will have you believe.......

Oh....It's because Ireland has a higher VAT rate than the rest of Europe.

Yeah, like a few percent will really equate to €30......

Yes... Yes I do. My mistake.

No worries!

whats with all the sudden 100 drop in prices :heh:

I was getting worried there for a second! I didnt think Ireland was that overpriced!:p

Seems like alot of people have 1 keys near their 2s. Oh wait...well, you know what I mean! Given the current value of the dollar, it works out after a straight exchange of price to £50 cheaper! That's crazy, CRAZY I TELLS YA.

As for the original poster, is the price the same in all the shops around? If it isn't, and it's cheaper elsewhere, try ranting at your store saying you were told that it was going to be cheaper than that and if it's going to be more expensive, then you'd rather have all your money refunded because it's cheaper elsewhere, and worth the wait. Sure, you may not mean it, but the shop might think they don't wanna lose the custom, and might knock the extra 10 off the price, it's a bit slim, but might be worth a shot. You do risk looking silly if you threaten it, and then they call you on it though.

Seems like alot of people have 1 keys near their 2s. Oh wait...well, you know what I mean! Given the current value of the dollar, it works out after a straight exchange of price to £50 cheaper! That's crazy, CRAZY I TELLS YA.

As for the original poster, is the price the same in all the shops around? If it isn't, and it's cheaper elsewhere, try ranting at your store saying you were told that it was going to be cheaper than that and if it's going to be more expensive, then you'd rather have all your money refunded because it's cheaper elsewhere, and worth the wait. Sure, you may not mean it, but the shop might think they don't wanna lose the custom, and might knock the extra 10 off the price, it's a bit slim, but might be worth a shot. You do risk looking silly if you threaten it, and then they call you on it though.

Well, small city only one game speciallist store, but the price is the same as in their other stores in the rest of the country

In POrtugal it's gonna be 259.99, accoring to our distributor, "because of the taxes"

Price in Ireland will be either 260 or 270. Gamestop have said 270.

The reason for the higher value is the electronics recycling fee.

In Austria it will also cost 259€, at least at the gameshop where I preorder. I was also quite surprised to see that because it was announced to be 250€.

When I'm going to get it I'll ask them though why the price increased 10€.

I feel sorry for you Free Staters down there, the price of stuff down there is stupidly high; I mean, the UK prices are high, but Jesus, the Euro gets the worst deal of all by far! This is the first time I've noticed that you are getting a good deal in gaming:

£179.99 = €267.40

And the Euro retail price is €249 - not bad. Even if it's raised by a tenner that's still cheaper than what we pay up north.

Still, €4.80 for a pint in Dublin? Ouch.