NEurope
Conor_NE

What are your Wii launch day plans? [New podcast Hot Topic]

you might have to camp out for hours , and maybe outside (dont forget a blanket)so .. call up stores WAY ahead of time and ask them if a line has formed yet... if so get there now...

usually the new consoles come out at 12:01 midnight (the first minutes of launch day there all gone) which mean camp out and line waiting take place the day before ....

just makin sure everyone knows this , cus i almost missed my chance ....

every where here , if you werent waiting in line since the previous day (for about 8 hours ) then you were to late....

I dont know. I'm in a sticky situation. As Nintendo like to screw me over, i thought this time was ok, but no, up pops a mock Maths exam on the 8th!

I know i said i will definiteylstay off but i got thinking that it may be important.

On the 7th I will be taking what money I have yet to raise out of my bank. This i sover £100, so im going some time with my mum.

On the 8th i plan to get up at 7, do the usual, close my eyes for a bit while sat on sofa, eat Nutri-grain, go up and have a shower, get changed.Then I will go to GAME for half past 7 or maybe 8. Arrive there and check out the scene, I'll get my DSL out and play mario kart or somethign else for the wait. If there are peopel there then i would probably play against them and beat them.

Then when the store opens I get my Wii. Then if my (parent) has gone anywhere I'll hone them to come back, I go home and have a ball with my Wii.

Other option is to go to college. Get picked up by my dad. Tell a white lie to my grandparent saying i cant got to them. Go GAME and get my Wii, I'll only have however many less hous to paly it though.

Be rather funny if you never got to play the next Zelda game... like someone chopped your arms off or something :D

What would be even better if it was just one arm, or maybe just the fingers on his left hand, so he could use the sword, but couldn't actually move Link. :heh:

My original plan was to wake up real early, wash myself, get ready for uni, go down to the shop asap and possibly dragging my mum or dad(they get points for using their credit cards, I use a debit card though) to the store with me to buy it(with TP + extra full wiimote), then go home, calmly laying the box down in my room, then going to uni at 10. Spend all day thinking about wii, wobbling my leg, walking at increased pace due to excitement, potentially running everywhere that day. I had a class that day which I cannot skip.

My new plan, seeing as I am going to the class tomorrow instead, is to wake up real early, wash myself, get ready for wii, go down to the shop asap and possibly dragging my mum or dad(they get points for using their credit cards, I use a debit card though) to the store with me to buy it(with TP + extra full wiimote), then go home, rip the bag off it, plonk the box on the floor in my big sitting room, opening it as hastily as I can whilst not damaging it, and proceeding to cream my pants, then set it up with the TV, reading the instruction manual no matter how much I don't want to. I'm skipping the lectures of uni for that day, screw uni! I'd possibly run home from the shop in each instance, but I feel it'd be real immature and mean of a 19 year old to run away from his parents in order to get home and play his shiny new game. Once I have it all set up, I am going to call my mum or dad over, whoever is available, hand them the wiimote(well, strap it on securely actually), and get them to share the christening of my Wii. I'd rather it be my dad, for trying to play our SNES when I was 8, but not quite comprehending jumping, and dying at the most basic part of SMB2(i.e the first shyguy), its a distinct memory that sticks with me, and I really appreciate now for some weird reason.

I dont know. I'm in a sticky situation. As Nintendo like to screw me over, i thought this time was ok, but no, up pops a mock Maths exam on the 8th!

Ninty screwed you over?! Blame the SYSTEM maaan! Them and their edumacations, those killjoys.

In all seriousness, my advice would actually be to not skip the day, even if it is just a mock, what level of maths is it at?

you might have to camp out for hours , and maybe outside (dont forget a blanket)so .. call up stores WAY ahead of time and ask them if a line has formed yet... if so get there now...

usually the new consoles come out at 12:01 midnight (the first minutes of launch day there all gone) which mean camp out and line waiting take place the day before ....

just makin sure everyone knows this , cus i almost missed my chance ....

every where here , if you werent waiting in line since the previous day (for about 8 hours ) then you were to late....

I don't think things are quite as extreme as that over here in the UK(although there was a hefty line at the midnight launch of Harry Potter when it came out! I went along because I'd just been at work then to the pub, and had to pass on my way home, honest.) I also thinks theres alot more supply for the demand we have(theres less people over here, and more consoles per person)

Ninty screwed you over?! Blame the SYSTEM maaan! Them and their edumacations, those killjoys.

In all seriousness, my advice would actually be to not skip the day, even if it is just a mock, what level of maths is it at?

It's A level. It's always been happening to me, Mario Kart, Ds, everything. Just once i didnt want it to happen, but it has.

If it's for A-Level, I'd definitely recommend going, I found my mock exams in maths quite handy for knowing what I needed to improve. I think they've changed maths curriculums now though, do you do 3 P modules, 2 S modules and 1 M module? I suppose this is going off topic actually...

Skiving the day off school ( my b-day ) and crying knowing you lot will be playing your Wii's and Ill be doing shit all other than dribble on manuals. Having too wait for x-mas :(

I haven't decide yet.

I'll either head over to GAME on the Thursday night around 10pm and queue up etc. Or head in for 9 am the next morning.

I have a feeling Ill queue up the night before. Then once I get it (or the 2 I hope to get) Ill hop on a bus home and play all weekend :)

Then fail all my uni exams which start the following tuesday....

Plan to get up on Friday morning (very early), ask for a lift to Bray (while it's normally 5 mins, chances are plenty of people will be driving to work too. =/)

Next I shall uh...wait until Smyths (evil) opens and buy my Wii with Zelda.

Then hook it up in the living room while others sleep.

On a side note: Thank God for the Immaculate Conception, it got me the 8th off school! Oh, yeah and Jesus too...or something.

I haven't decide yet.

I'll either head over to GAME on the Thursday night around 10pm and queue up etc. Or head in for 9 am the next morning.

I have a feeling Ill queue up the night before. Then once I get it (or the 2 I hope to get) Ill hop on a bus home and play all weekend :)

Then fail all my uni exams which start the following tuesday....

Yeah, my exams start on the following Wednesday, it's so horrible..

I'll probably head in to GAME on Friday morning, that's if Game confirm I'm getting one on launch day. If it all goes to plan, I'll be getting Zelda and Wii Play hopefully. I'll give them a ring over the weekend to see if they tell me if I'll be getting one on the 8th. I left it late enough to pre-order, mid October. I'm pretty far down the list but I'm hoping for the best anyway. It'd probably be better for me education-wise if I had to wait a week or two for a later shipment, but screw that, I'll muddle through somehow :D

I asked the manager of Gamestop today if they know yet if they will have enough stock to cover the pre-orders they got. Answer "YES". So i should be fine, that and i'm like the first person with a pre-order i'm almost sure.

I got to go to Cork on the 7th for a training day for work, on the way home i'm gonna stop by Waterford City centre to see if there is any "activity", which i'm guessing there won't be ( i don't see it being "USA" or "Japan" style maddness here).

Go home, "try" to sleep, "wake up" at about 6am, leave at 6.30am pick up my cousin, who will act as camera man for my Wii Launch Day Video Diary I will put together for N-E, should be at the store by 7am (might change those times so its earlier, depending on how paranoid i get. But i should be first in line, wait for shop to open at 9am, if/when others show, try get some interveiws for video. 9am get into store get Wii, hang around for max of 10mins to get vid/pics (with a bit of luck might get a shot of the staff saying, "We've Sold Out of Wii"), head home set up Wii, getting some final shots for end of video, play Wii all weekend and forget to edit video :heh:

On a side note: Thank God for the Immaculate Conception, it got me the 8th off school! Oh, yeah and Jesus too...or something.

Wow, it's like fate the Wii would launch on that day

07/12/06

06:30hrs - Wake up

09:00hrs - Start work

17:30hrs - Finish work

19:00hrs - Meet friend at Barracuda Altrincham (his workplace)

22:00hrs - Walk to Altrincham Gamestation (play Metroid/Mario Kart on DS's)

23:00hrs - Gamestation opens and invites customers in for gaming sessions

08/12/06

00:00hrs - Wii goes on sale, pick up my pre-ordered Wii & Zelda

00:20hrs - Set up my Wii and don't go to sleep for the next few days!

That's what I'm hoping for!

1. Finish work at 8pm on Thursday 7th, buy snacks for my Wii marathon.

2. Go to sleep early (ha, as if I can).

3. Wake up 7-8am, shower and get dressed.

4. Read Kotaku and N-Europe to see how things went for the midnight launch campers, find out what NOE has enabled on the Wii (VC games? Shopping? Internet?)

5. Make sure the TV room is well prepared, a space set aside for the little white box. Wait for Gameplay parcel, jumping for the door every time I hear a van.

6. Wii GET! Tear parcel from courier's hands, scribble on the signature sheet, and bolt for the TV room, mad grin plastered on my face. Test Wii, make a Mii and play a little Wii Sports.

7. If there is time, tear myself away from Wii and visit town, hoping to pick up 2/3 extra Wiimotes for my family.

8. Get family hooked on Wii Sports and Rayman.

I booked the weekend off work, so I can game to my heart's content. :awesome:

I can tell you now that theres no internet chaanel, no weather and no news channel.

Hope that helps Smiter

I can tell you now that theres no internet chaanel, no weather and no news channel.

Hope that helps Smiter

Ah, I know that, thanks. :)

It's just that I heard rumours/reports that we won't get the Virtual Console at launch day. I hope that isn't the case.

If we do get the VC at launch, I might pick up a classic controller for the SNES titles (if any).

There's always hope that Nintendo might enable the internet channel soon (couldn't care less about news and weather, even if weather has a cool globe).

If you really want to view the internet on your wii head over to youtube and search for internet channel theres vids where they explain how to get the shopping channel to go onto google

Aww. I've got a Wii on pre-order but my dad is getting it for me and my sister as a christmas present so, technically I will own one on release day but i'll have to wait two weeks to actually give it a go :weep:

Either -

A. My mate from GAME pulls through, go after college and pick it up.

B. My mate from GAME is a shit. I catch the 52a bus into Exeter for 8:10. Be at any gaming shop for half 8. Buy a Wii. Go straight back home, tell college I caught Chlamydia and need it treated with some EMA money. Sorted.

Yeah, my exams start on the following Wednesday, it's so horrible..

I'll probably head in to GAME on Friday morning, that's if Game confirm I'm getting one on launch day. If it all goes to plan, I'll be getting Zelda and Wii Play hopefully. I'll give them a ring over the weekend to see if they tell me if I'll be getting one on the 8th. I left it late enough to pre-order, mid October. I'm pretty far down the list but I'm hoping for the best anyway. It'd probably be better for me education-wise if I had to wait a week or two for a later shipment, but screw that, I'll muddle through somehow :D

What GAME did you pre-order from?

Bah, no midnight launch for me after all! They held one for the Godfather game, but none for the Wii, bastards. They are opening early though, a whole half hour.

So, now I've to decide whether or not to get up early and head in at rush hour, or sleep in and go down town at a quieter time.

I need to pop into my store to find out what they are doing. I'm expecting 8:30 open at the most

Aww. I've got a Wii on pre-order but my dad is getting it for me and my sister as a christmas present so, technically I will own one on release day but i'll have to wait two weeks to actually give it a go :weep:

Hi mate remember me ;)

8th December:

Wake up and go on the internet start rumors about Nintendos new console for realise in 2009.

I'm going down the Redhill gamestation at around 10pm on thursday, few beers in hand, share them out to whoever's there, maybe a little bit of mario kart. Play a little electroplankton when things get quiet. Get the system. Rush home. Play till 6. 1 hour of sleep. Off to school, back at lunch, back for history, then back at 3 to play through the weekend.

If anyone is, though I doubt it, going down redhill way for the launch, PM me.