NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Aimless

Personality, Commonality, and The Train That Missed Its Stop

You Are An ISFJ

The Nurturer

You have a strong need to belong, and you very loyal.

A good listener, you excell at helping others in practical ways.

In your spare time, you enjoy engaging your senses through art, cooking, and music.

You find it easy to be devoted to one person, who you do special things for.

You would make a good interior designer, chef, or child psychologist.

I have highlighted in italic the things that are true about me.

This thing is pretty clever I might send this to a few friends.

I'm not too keen on being a psychologist or an interior designer though. :hmm:

I've only read the first post, quite interesting to post on the forums, especially as I'm currently studying Psychology. I'd point out the flaws and strengths of this test, but I'm not that geeky, and nothing's perfect anyway.

I put a link to a more comprehensive version of the test in my first post, but I admit I haven't tried it myself yet. I may have to give it a try and see if my results change, as the Blogthings' version is a watered down variant.

Although I've a passing knowledge of Jungian psychology, I didn't want to make the thread overly didactic: I thought the basic test would be interesting enough, with links if people want to find out more.

The Idealist

As an INFP, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your personal value system. Your secondary mode is external, where you take things in primarily via your intuition.

INFPs, more than other iNtuitive Feeling types, are focused on making the world a better place for people. Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. What is their purpose? How can they best serve humanity in their lives? They are idealists and perfectionists, who drive themselves hard in their quest for achieving the goals they have identified for themselves

INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things. Every encounter and every piece of knowledge gained gets sifted through the INFP's value system, and is evaluated to see if it has any potential to help the INFP define or refine their own path in life. The goal at the end of the path is always the same - the INFP is driven to help people and make the world a better place.

Generally thoughtful and considerate, INFPs are good listeners and put people at ease. Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. This sincerity is sensed by others, making the INFP a valued friend and confidante. An INFP can be quite warm with people he or she knows well.

INFPs do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. In conflict situations, INFPs place little importance on who is right and who is wrong. They focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't really care whether or not they're right. They don't want to feel badly. This trait sometimes makes them appear irrational and illogical in conflict situations. On the other hand, INFPs make very good mediators, and are typically good at solving other people's conflicts, because they intuitively understand people's perspectives and feelings, and genuinely want to help them.

INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause. When an INFP has adopted a project or job which they're interested in, it usually becomes a "cause" for them. Although they are not detail-oriented individuals, they will cover every possible detail with determination and vigor when working for their "cause".

When it comes to the mundane details of life maintenance, INFPs are typically completely unaware of such things. They might go for long periods without noticing a stain on the carpet, but carefully and meticulously brush a speck of dust off of their project booklet.

INFPs do not like to deal with hard facts and logic. Their focus on their feelings and the Human Condition makes it difficult for them to deal with impersonal judgment. They don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgment, which makes them naturally rather ineffective at using it. Most INFPs will avoid impersonal analysis, although some have developed this ability and are able to be quite logical. Under stress, it's not uncommon for INFPs to mis-use hard logic in the heat of anger, throwing out fact after (often inaccurate) fact in an emotional outburst.

INFPs have very high standards and are perfectionists. Consequently, they are usually hard on themselves, and don't give themselves enough credit. INFPs may have problems working on a project in a group, because their standards are likely to be higher than other members' of the group. In group situations, they may have a "control" problem. The INFP needs to work on balancing their high ideals with the requirements of every day living. Without resolving this conflict, they will never be happy with themselves, and they may become confused and paralyzed about what to do with their lives.

INFPs are usually talented writers. They may be awkard and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper. INFPs also appear frequently in social service professions, such as counselling or teaching. They are at their best in situations where they're working towards the public good, and in which they don't need to use hard logic.

INFPs who function in their well-developed sides can accomplish great and wonderful things, which they will rarely give themselves credit for. Some of the great, humanistic catalysts in the world have been INFPs.

I've emboldened the parts which I think apply to me; I really dislike going on about my so-called strengths.

I wouldn't say I'm adverse to logic. I do put a lot of value into feelings, true, but logic only frustrates me when its wielded by someone with seemingly no concept of emotion.

I'm not too sure about the 'life maintenance' part. I'm very messy, yes, but I err on the side of actual cleanliness. Messy and dirty are very different things.

Other than those two things I'd say the description was rather accurate, although being able to string a basic sentence together hardly makes my writing 'wonderful'. It's all a bit too flattering for me to swallow, really.

So I did some further reading about the test on Wikipedia, and it said that its been criticised for being subject to the Forer effect(wikipedia that). Basically, its the sort of thing that causes horoscopes to work, it gives a vague general outline that is supposedly specififcally tailored to you and so you believe it's quite accurate. Go ahead and test it, try answering the questionnaire a little, or even completely(less likely to be true in this instance) differently. I got 3 different personality types, and all seemed to be true to me :(

So I did some further reading about the test on Wikipedia, and it said that its been criticised for being subject to the Forer effect(wikipedia that). Basically, its the sort of thing that causes horoscopes to work, it gives a vague general outline that is supposedly specififcally tailored to you and so you believe it's quite accurate. Go ahead and test it, try answering the questionnaire a little, or even completely(less likely to be true in this instance) differently. I got 3 different personality types, and all seemed to be true to me :(

Well, I've read most of the personality types, and ENTP easily fits me the best.

Yes, I would say that is a factor. But then the personality types do crossover, and some of them certainly don't describe me.

People will always have their own eccentricities, but if they made personality types for every variant there would be 6 billion, not 16. They are a guideline, but a useful one, I think.

For those of you that are interested, there are also specific pages for how different personality types cope with relationships and careers. Obviously these aren't cast-iron things from which to base your life, but they're interesting reading nonetheless.

Bit of a change since last time:

You Are An ENFP

The Inspirer

You love being around people, and you are deeply committed to your friends.

You are also unconventional, irreverant, and unimpressed by authority and rules.

Incredibly perceptive, you can usually sense if someone has hidden motives.

You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're qutie the storyteller!

You would make an excellent entrepreneur, politician, or journalist.

Edit: INFP when I'm hungry or moody.

You Are An INTP

The Thinker

You are analytical and logical - and on a quest to learn everything you can.

Smart and complex, you always love a new intellectual challenge.

Your biggest pet peeve is people who slow you down with trivial chit chat.

A quiet maverick, you tend to ignore rules and authority whenever you feel like it.

You would make an excellent mathematician, programmer, or professor.

What's Your Personality Type?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourpersonalitytypequiz/

it's not entirely inaccurate but while I consider myself a logical and reasonable type, I'm also creative and the chit chat part is bollocks- when I get going I can really get into a good conversation for ages, chit chat or nay.

I also have no scientific ability whatsoever.

The Giver

You strive to maintain harmony in relationships, and usually succeed.

Articulate and enthusiastic, you are good at making personal connections.

Sometimes you idealize relationships too much - and end up being let down.

You find the most energy and comfort in social situations ... where you shine.

You would make a good writer, human resources director, or psychologist

For those of you that are interested, there are also specific pages for how different personality types cope with relationships and careers. Obviously these aren't cast-iron things from which to base your life, but they're interesting reading nonetheless.

Apparantly according to that relationships website my ideal partner would be a protector or a scientist. Damn if only Jordan wasn't already taken. :heh:

Sign in to follow this