NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Aimless

Personality, Commonality, and The Train That Missed Its Stop

So I was going to respond to Fierce_LiNk's 'Do opposites attract?' thread, but my train of thought — "True Commonality" brandished upon its side — was speeding towards its own thread.

Extended metaphor aside, I thought it would be interesting to find out what kind of personality types make up this forum, with each person commenting on how accurate they feel their result is — with others chiming in if they feel like it.

Whilst there are more thorough tests available, I've gone for a rougher version of the quiz as it doesn't cost money or much time. You can find the simple test here.

For my part, I'm an INFP — The Idealist. According to the short quiz that means:

"You are creative with a great imagination, living in your own inner world.

Open minded and accepting, you strive for harmony in your important relationships.

It takes a long time for people to get to know you. You are hesitant to let people get close.

But once you care for someone, you do everything you can to help them grow and develop.

You would make an excellent writer, psychologist, or artist."

(More comprehensive explanations of the personality types can be found here.)

Now personally I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment; although it does paint me in a rather flattering light. And... Well, I'd go into the intricacies of it but unfortunately I have to go to work — sorry for setting a bad example.

Regardless, give it a try. Who knows, you might even learn something.

Great thread, i like these sorta things.

The Inspirer

You love being around people, and you are deeply committed to your friends.

You are also unconventional, irreverant, and unimpressed by authority and rules.

Incredibly perceptive, you can usually sense if someone has hidden motives.

You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're qutie the storyteller!

You would make an excellent entrepreneur, politician, or journalist.[/Quote]

I think others would say that this is a fairly accurate reflection of me. I love to use lots of expressions. I regularly compare things to playdoh or just other silly things. I dunno about the unimpressed by authority and rules bit, though. Especially as i'm supposed to be an admin! Hehehe.

Great site Edge I mean Aimless.

You Are An INFJ

The Protector

You live your life with integrity, originality, vision, and creativity.

Independent and stubborn, you rarely stray from your vision - no matter what it is.

You are an excellent listener, with almost infinite patience.

You have complex, deep feelings, and you take great care to express them.

You would make a great photographer, alternative medicine guru, or teacher.

Yes and no i'd say, but people know me better than I know myself...

"You Are An ENFJ"

The Giver

You strive to maintain harmony in relationships, and usually succeed.

Articulate and enthusiastic, you are good at making personal connections.

Sometimes you idealize relationships too much - and end up being let down.

You find the most energy and comfort in social situations ... where you shine.

You would make a good writer, human resources director, or psychologist.

I'm not sure what to think about that, seems half and a half, but, okay.

You Are An INFP

The Idealist

You are creative with a great imagination, living in your own inner world.

Open minded and accepting, you strive for harmony in your important relationships.

It takes a long time for people to get to know you. You are hesitant to let people get close.

But once you care for someone, you do everything you can to help them grow and develop.

You would make an excellent writer, psychologist, or artist.

...awesome :grin:

You Are An ISFJ

The Nurturer

You have a strong need to belong, and you very loyal.

A good listener, you excell at helping others in practical ways.

In your spare time, you enjoy engaging your senses through art, cooking, and music.

You find it easy to be devoted to one person, who you do special things for.

You would make a good interior designer, chef, or child psychologist.

Not all that accurate. I'm not great at helping people, and I'd be a lousy interior designer, chef, or child psychologist. Other than that I don't really disagree with the description.

I'm sure I did this before once. Anyway:

You Are An ENFP

The Inspirer

You are also unconventional, irreverant, and unimpressed by authority and rules.

You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're quite the storyteller!

You would make an excellent entrepreneur, politician, or journalist.

Hmmm, I guess some of those things are true. I do stand by my friends and try to keep in contact with people as much as possible and I do talk a lot of bollocks (I'm sometimes known as the master of spiel). However I think I do have some aspects of the the idealist, in that I only truely open up to a few people. I think some people see that as me giving them the cold shoulder, but it's not really, I just sometimes find it difficut to open up to people.

You Are An INFP

The Idealist

wow

thats pretty much spot on

You Are An INFP

The Idealist

What's Your Personality Type?

Spot on, besides that I'm slightly crazy.

You are the BNP

The racist

You are a far-right political party in the United Kingdom. You have 55 councillors in local government, but unlike some of your European analogues, you have no presence in the national Parliament; some argue that this is because the UK's first-past-the-post system makes it difficult for small parties to achieve electoral success in UK elections.

According to your constitution, you "stand for the preservation of the national and ethnic character of the British people and are wholly opposed to any form of racial integration between British and non-European peoples", and are "committed to stemming and reversing the tide of non-white immigration and to restoring, by legal changes, negotiation and consent the overwhelmingly white makeup of the British population that existed in Britain prior to 1948". To achieve this aim, you advocate the use of "firm but voluntary incentives" to remove ethnic minorities from the UK. Membership of your party is restricted to "Indigenous Caucasians."

You deny that you are racist, however, stating that you are merely standing up for the White British working class. You believe that racism is a part of human nature and therefore describes your supporters as "realists".[4]

You are rebuked and ostracized by mainstream politicians, including Conservative MP David Cameron and Mayor of London Ken Livingstone. Moreover, anti-fascist organizations such as Searchlight and Unite Against Fascism dedicate the bulk of their efforts to denouncing you.

Sometimes these quizzes say the funniest things.

The Idealist

Thats what I got, it's very flattering, I tend to think of myself as more of a stubborn bastard than anything, but I guess some of it is true. Especially the part about people taking a long time to get to know me.

I am an ISFJ.

The Nurturer

You have a strong need to belong, and you very loyal.

A good listener, you excell at helping others in practical ways.

In your spare time, you enjoy engaging your senses through art (not true), cooking (not true), and music.

You find it easy to be devoted to one person, who you do special things for.

You would make a good interior designer, chef, or child psychologist.

You Are An ESTP

The Doer

You are adventurous and risk taking. You act first, think second.

You love being the center of attention. Chances are you were the class clown.

Competitive, charming, and charasmatic - you have your own code of honor.

You live a flexible life, bouncing between a series of activies that interest you.

You would make a great salesperson, marketing director, or entrepreneur.

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourpersonalitytypequiz/

I really don't think I am like that though...

You Are An ISFP

The Artist

You are a gifted artist or musician (though your talents may be dormant right now).

You enjoy spending your free time in nature, and you are good with animals and children.

Simply put, you enjoy bueaty in all its forms and live for the simple pleasures in life.

Gentle, sensitive, and compassionate - you are good at recognizing people's unspoken needs.

You would make a good veterinarian, pediatrician, or composer.

Wow erm, mine is pretty accurate actually. I also read the longer explanation, and a lot of it describes me right well. And hey, I wanted to become a veterinarian at some point, but I'm not good with blood. =X

http://www.personalitypage.com/ISFP.html

That's the long explanation. Let's see, things that are right:

- They are keenly in tune with the way things look, taste, sound, feel and smell. They have a strong aesthetic appreciation for art, and are likely to be artists in some form, because they are unusually gifted at creating and composing things which will strongly affect the senses. They have a strong set of values, which they strive to consistently meet in their lives.

*Art = awesome! Hey, I think I'm a bit of an artist! I have a lot of strong values indeed, especially when it comes to nature and the well-being of both humans and animals. And I know not everyone agrees with my viewpoint on those things.*

- ISFPs tend to be quiet and reserved, and difficult to get to know well. They hold back their ideas and opinions except from those who they are closest to. They are likely to be kind, gentle and sensitive in their dealings with others. They are interested in contributing to people's sense of well-being and happiness, and will put a great deal of effort and energy into tasks which they believe in.

*I'm very quiet and reserved and it's difficult for people to get to know me. Only a really few people do, I think. I try to be kind and gentle and I'm quite sensitive (though I can be less gentle and kind in some extreme situations). And hey, there's the well-being part again.*

- ISFPs have a strong affinity for aesthetics and beauty. They're likely to be animal lovers, and to have a true appreciation for the beauties of nature. They're original and independent, and need to have personal space. They value people who take the time to understand the ISFP, and who support the ISFP in pursuing their goals in their own, unique way.

*Ah yes, again the beauty of things. And woohoo, animals and nature! And yes, personal space is something I need a lot. That's why I enjoy sitting alone in my room or outside in the garden or stuff like that.*

- ISFPs are warm and sympathetic. They genuinely care about people, and are strongly service-oriented in their desire to please. They have an unusually deep well of caring for those who are close to them, and are likely to show their love through actions, rather than words.

*I'm horrible with words (bit less horrible when it's written words). I can go completely silent when I can't find the right words to talk about something important. And I can never really find the right words, so that happens often. I prefer doing things to show my love and appreciation (like making little things) than having to actually say it.*

- ISFPs have no desire to lead or control others, just as they have no desire to be led or controlled by others. They need space and time alone to evaluate the circumstances of their life against their value system, and are likely to respect other people's needs for the same.

*Nope, let someone else lead, and I'll follow (though I will voice my opinion if I don't agree). I'm really not good at making decisions, at all. Actually, I prefer working on my own. Which is why I hate group tasks.*

- The ISFP is likely to not give themself enough credit for the things which they do extremely well. Their strong value systems can lead them to be intensely perfectionist, and cause them to judge themselves with unneccesary harshness.

*Oooooh, so so so true! I'm never happy with anything I do and a horrible perfectionist. It's bad.*

Whoops, sorry for making this so long. XD

You can skip it if you want to. ='3

Mr Odwin wins.

You Are An ESFJ

The Caregiver

You are sympathetic and caring, putting friends and family first.

A creature of habit, you prefer routines and have trouble with change.

You love being in groups - whether you're helping people or working on a project.

You are good at listening, laughing, and bringing out the best in people.

You would make a great nurse, social worker, or teacher.

Mostly true I'd say.

You Are An ISFP

The Artist

You are a gifted artist or musician (though your talents may be dormant right now).

You enjoy spending your free time in nature, and you are good with animals and children.

Simply put, you enjoy beauty in all its forms and live for the simple pleasures in life.

Gentle, sensitive, and compassionate - you are good at recognizing people's unspoken needs.

You would make a good veterinarian, pediatrician, or composer.

I'm sure I got that in a test before and, although it isn't exactly dead accurate, it works.

That's right, kiddos. No long introspective post here. If you just gotta know, then Eenuh posted the expansion on this personality type above so you can let your beady lil' eyes have a wander across that and sans her italics think to yourselves "Gee whiz, does that sum The3rdChildren up for me?"

Well, does it?

---

[edit]

Odwin, that was hilarious. Good stuff.

My sister's obsessed with this... apparently I'm a classic ENTP.

http://www.personalitypage.com/ has in depth stuff for all the personality types.

By the way, these personality are generally psychologically accepted... so they actually mean something.

You Are An ENFP

The Inspirer

You use lots of colorful language and expressions. You're qutie the storyteller!

I would say thats about as perfect me as you can get!

You Are An INTP

The Thinker

You are analytical and logical - and on a quest to learn everything you can.

Smart and complex, you always love a new intellectual challenge.

Your biggest pet peeve is people who slow you down with trivial chit chat.

A quiet maverick, you tend to ignore rules and authority whenever you feel like it.

You would make an excellent mathematician, programmer, or professor.

Probably quite true, aprt from the bit about being a mathematician, programmer or professor. You can fuck that right off.

I am a ISTP

You Are An ISTP

The Mechanic

You are calm and collected, even in the most difficult of situations.

A person of action and self-direction, you love being independent.

To outsiders yous eem impulsive, surprising, and unpredictable.

You are good at understanding how all things work, except for people.

You would make an excellent pilot, forensic pathologist, or athlete.

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourpersonalitytypequiz/

Everything is true. Apart formthe jobs. I havnt good eyesight. Otherwise i would have like to becoma pilot. Forensic Pathologist, i would have liked to go into forensics but im not that good at science imo. Athlete pffft. If i was thinner..yeah.

theres more on the list to the left, gonna do some of them.

I had to to a personality test as part of one of the subjects I am studying in Uni.

Apparently I am an ISFJ - Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging

A slightly expressed introvert, a slightly expressed sensing personality, a moderately expressed feeling personality and a moderatley expressed judging personality.

In other words, you can characterize my personality by my desire to serve others; my "need to be needed".

I am bound by prevailing social conventions, thus my form of "service" is likely to exclude any elements of moral or political controversy. I specialize in the loca, the personal and the practical.

So now you know....

You Are An ENFP

The Inspirer

go me

You Are An INFP

The Idealist

Pretty much.

* They're usually good listeners who genuinely want to hear about someone's problems, and genuinely want to help them. This makes them outstanding counsellors, and good friends. An INFP may find great satisfaction from volunteering as a counselor.

* They accept and value people as individuals, and are strongly egalitarian. They believe that an individual has the right to be themself, without having their attitudes and perspectives brought under scrutiny. Accordingly, they have a great deal of tolerance and acceptance dealing with people who might encounter negative judgment from society in general. They can see something positive in everyone. They believe in individuals. If they give themselves the opportunity, an INFP can become a much-needed source of self-esteem and confidence for people who cannot find it on their own. In this way, they can nurture a "sick soul" back to health.

* Usually deep and intelligent, they're able to grasp difficult concepts with relative ease. They usually do quite well academically, and will find that educating their minds nourishes their need to think deeply.

INFPs who have developed their Extraverted iNtuition to the extent that they can perceive the world about them objectively and quickly will find that they enjoy these very special gifts:

* They will have a great deal of insight into people's characters. They will quickly and thoroughly understand where a person is coming from by assessing their motives and feelings. These well-developed INFP individuals make outstanding psychologists (such as Isabel Briggs Myers herself) and counselors. They might also be great fiction writers, because they're able to develop very complex, real characters.

* They will quickly understand different situations, and quickly grasp new concepts. They will find that they're able to do anything that they put their mind to, although they may not find it personally satisfying. Things may seem to come easily to these INFPs. Although they're able to conquer many different kinds of tasks and situations, these INFPs will be happiest doing something that seems truly important to them. Although they may find that they can achieve the "mainstream" type of success with relative ease, they are not likely to find happiness along that path, unless they are living their lives with authenticity and depth.

INFPs are rare, intelligent, creative beings with many special gifts. I would like for the INFP to keep in mind some of the many positive things associated with being an INFP as they read some of this more negative material. Also remember that the weaknesses associated with being an INFP are natural to your type. Although it may be depressing to read about your type's weaknesses, please remember that we offer this information to enact positive change. We want people to grow into their own potential, and to live happy and successful lives.

Most of the weaker characteristics that are found in INFPs are due to their dominant Feeling function overshadowing the rest of their personality. When the dominant function of Introverted Feeling overshadows everything else, the INFP can't use Extraverted iNtuition to take in information in a truly objective fashion. In such cases, an INFP may show some or all of the following weaknesses in varying degrees:

* May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism

* May perceive criticism where none was intended

* May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality

* May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions

* May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly

* May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper

* May be unaware of appropriate social behavior

* May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress

* May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it

* May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view

* May value their own opinions and feelings far above others

* May be unaware of how their behavior affects others

* May be oblivious to other people's need

* May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP

* May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them

* Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things

* Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly

* May have unreasonable expectations of others

* May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations

Very accurate indeed.

Woops, stupid me forgot to post my results! Some of the questions were hard to decide on, was quite on the fence with them. Anyhoo, I came out as;

You Are An ESFP

The Performer

You are a natural performer and happiest when you're entertaining others.

A great friend, you are generous, fun-loving and optimistic.

You love to laugh - and you like almost all people equally.

You accept life as it is, and you do your best to make each day fantastic.

You would make a good actor, designer, or counselor.

It's quite accurate of my self impression, and I have considered both acting and counselling(others, not recieving :P) as it happens. Reading it indepth further, just seems to be me all over! This thing seems spot on for me, despite what I said earlier(which is actually underneath)

I've only read the first post, quite interesting to post on the forums, especially as I'm currently studying Psychology. I'd point out the flaws and strengths of this test, but I'm not that geeky, and nothing's perfect anyway. Do you know the name of this personality test though? It's most interesting because at this very moment, I'm supposed to be writing up a short presentation on personality models for a tutorial tomorrow! Freaky thing, life and it's little coincidences!

EDIT: Don't worry with the name, even freakier is that it was the EXACT next thing I read in my reference that I am reading, it's the MBTI(Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) Scale, and actually helped me understand it a bit better too.

...Although Jung’s theory, as that of Freud’s (see section #4.4.1) remained mostly untested and was rarely supported by empirical evidence beyond case studies or mythological allegories, its personality taxonomy is represented by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), a questionnaire that assesses extraversion-introversion, intuition-sensing, thinking-feeling, and judgement-perception as the four major functions of temperament....

It's a book by my psychopathology lecturer, it's still in press though. It goes on to explain those 4 different dimensions, and further personality models I assume. For anyone interested in reading a bit more about personality, you could PM me and I could possibly send you a source, although, I may be breaking some sort of copyright law.

The Performer

You are a natural performer and happiest when you're entertaining others.

A great friend, you are generous, fun-loving and optimistic.

You love to laugh - and you like almost all people equally.

You accept life as it is, and you do your best to make each day fantastic.

You would make a good actor, designer, or counselor.

part true really

Sign in to follow this