NEurope
DiemetriX

thoughts about the Classic controller

We hear "classic controller" and we think it's named that because of the classic games you can play with it. But the Virtual Console controller has an array of buttons which would seem to have no function at this point. I was surprised to find that the L and R buttons, rather than being digital as with the N64 and Super NES, in fact had the same range of analog control as the GameCube pad, complete with the extra digital "click" at the end of the trigger pull.

I seem to remember a time when the general opinion of the Wii controller was that Nintendo had totally lost their shit and was going to alienate developers from supporting their system. So it was promised, very early on, that there would be an option for developers who just had to use the traditional controller layout.

So the Classic Controller wasn't supposed to be just for retro games -- it was supposed to be for Wii games, too. In fact, if a developer wants to create a Wii game that uses the classic controller, they still can -- check out the back of the CC package and you'll see that although it says it's "primarily" used for VC games, you might find Wii software that uses it. Perhaps this is even what the Super Smash Bros. team is cooking up.

Also, the extra click feature on the L and R triggers could be considered an extra button for developers to use, since the Classic Controller is supposed to be used for those inexpensive, small-scale downloadable-only games that are to be made for the Wii Store. (Al la XBox Live Arcade)

Soruce: http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/11/virtual_console.html#more

I think he makes some solid points there. What are your thoughts on the classic controller?

I've always thought it was for games such as SSBB, where they didn't want to use the new Wii controller.. Naming it the classic controller is probably because it resembles the old control style, from NES (or more like SNES, as the Wii Remote is more like the NES controller really) through GC. It appears to be due to playing the games, but I really think it's because it's a more regular, classic way of control.

It's functional, but only to a minimal level.. the design in my eyes is quite bulky, unergononmic and flat.

I'd rather use a GameCube/WaveBird controller.

I am waiting to see if they release a wireless solution for classic gaming. eg. a rerelease of the WaveBird, perhaps using Bluetooth to coincide with the release of Smash Bros.

Failing that I'd like to see a pack in solution with Smash Bros. or them just keeping old GameCube accesories in the production line.

Amazon.co.uk sells pearl white GameCube controllers for £10, quite reasonable but still wired.

Back on topic though, I don't think this is going to work with Smash.

Well for starters I don't think they are gonna keep gamecube controllers in production for much longer, it creates a kind of two tier setup with some people not really knowing which is better to get etc...

for me I'll just keep my wavebird for now, wish it was in white though, am tempted to get a pearl white one but is wired....

I think it is good nintendo have released the classic controller, as it means developers can use it if need be, and if the wiimote can be attached the back (anyone actually seen an pics of this?) means the controller and wiimote combo, can technically do anything the sixaxis PS3 controller can do, but in a more conventional setup, don't think we will see it used much for now as everyone tries to get to grips with it the wiimote on its own for now.

I've gone for 2 classic controllers!

Firstly some VC games need the classic controller to work....secondly it goes with the wii better (such a stupid reason to buy them i know...but there all white and will go with my setup).

I'm hoping we get some points with them as well.

I like these sort of novelty things, for completionists sake, i'll get one, but it is an afterthought really...

The classic controller both looks and feels awesome.

Only problem is that it doesnt support rumble and it doesnt work with gamecube games.

I really cannot fathom having my wired gamecube controller stretch from the top of the wii and across the room to my sofa, or have that ugly ass wavebird reciever on display.

Firstly some VC games need the classic controller to work....

I tought all VC games works with the Cube controller.

Yus but not the other way round. There is a compatibility chart floating around. Cube is best value for money.. but most people won't have Cube games too play.

i dont have one so i dont know but think about it it's a fist party nintendo controller.

I tought all VC games works with the Cube controller.

Not all of them will.

Only reason I'll be getting one is the fact that I don't want to play Yoshi's Island (I'm sure it'll be on the VC soon) and other SNES titles, with the small, crappy D-pad on the cube controller.

Only reason I'll be getting one is the fact that I don't want to play Yoshi's Island (I'm sure it'll be on the VC soon) and other SNES titles, with the small, crappy D-pad on the cube controller.

That's one of the reasons why I kinda want one.. especially if it comes with some Wii points..

I'm sure I'll end up getting one at some stage, probably when I download Golden Axe and F-Zero...

Not all of them will.

What doesn't work with the cube controllers then, as I was also under the impression it worked with everything.

I'm totally sure that games such as smash bros will use the classic controller.

I dont think its suited to the wiimote. Its a button bashing game, no precision really to point at anything.

I'll probably get one anyway if they do (hopefully) or dont come with free points.

The Classic Controller not supporting Gamecube games is a real disapointment. I was hoping to play the original Legend of Zelda (from the collecter's edition) with a decent d-pad.

It's a snes controller, and hence unlikely to be very comfortable. It's cheap and great for retro games like street fighter cause of the D-Pad, but there's not much point to it otherwise, the Gamecube controller will do just fine for most games.

Don't need the classic controller (as I have GameCube pads) but I'm going to get one anyway!

Extremely limited:

hori-vs-snes-1.jpg

I have one of those, it rocks, surely SNES heaven.

I'll still get a Classic controller for Wii though.

that is really sweet. I want one.

A few there.

What doesn't work with the cube controllers then, as I was also under the impression it worked with everything.

According to the Wii Manual, not all VC games will work with the GameCube controller. Probably for when someone makes a game specific for the Classic Controller.

£15? hmm i might aswell get the classic controller that wont work with everythign as you just said. Looks very nice though.