NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Wii have a problem...

So, most of us have heard about the somethingawful dude who got his TV broken, and probably haven't heard of much other cases and assumed it to be an isolated problem right? Apparently not, a website appears to have been dedicated to wii mishaps entitled Wii Have a Problem;

http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/

Gotta love the video of the ultimate fanboy(man) in line for a Wii, having not slept for 5 days.

If people are stupid enough to swing with enough strength to break the wrist and then let go the remote, they deserve it.

Well, maybe that's a tad harsh, they can get caught up, but still, wtf.

It's happening quite a bit from what that site shows, I think mainly due to non-gamers getting well into it, which is understandable in a way. When I set it up next week, if I manage to get my parents playing, I am gonna have to tell them so many times to re-iterate the point of not swinging too hard, cos I plan to see it up in a room where theres a big TV, which is actually my brothers, next to a cabinet full of glasses, with single glass pane windows in it too, and on the other side of the TV is the actual window window, but that's double glazed so it shouldn't break too easy. I'm thinking though, would wrapping a bit of sellotape around the wiimote's strap make reduce the chance of it snapping? I'm talking wrapping around the thin bit, which is where the breaks seem to be occuring.

i always remind my friends to wear the wrist strap.

was this guy or not?????????!!!!!!!!!????????

I think this is a hazard that will come and pass. In a way, it goes to show how ground breaking and new Wii is; unanticipated problems are cropping up because this is an uncharted territory. I'm sure things will get better as such awareness takes hold on manufacturers and players. That will also be an indication that Wii is becoming the norm, which would be good to see.

It'd be funny if 3rd party companies were right now thinking about releasing their own stronger straps to attach to Wii remote... lol.

I'm thinking though, would wrapping a bit of sellotape around the wiimote's strap make reduce the chance of it snapping? I'm talking wrapping around the thin bit, which is where the breaks seem to be occuring.

Looking at it logically, doing that would just make another part of the strap snap if enough force travels down the strap. Something has to give when there is enough force. You might just as well sellotape around the fist that's gripping the wii remote lol

I have played Wii and I fail to understand how the Wiimote can slip from your hands.... And I didn't give it quick 10 minutes play, in case you're thinking. I played for 2 hours, twice. Wii Sports. I played Bowling for about 40 minutes and not once did the controller even think about leaving my hand. The strap isn't even necessary. I just put it on so it wouldn't be hanging. When I get mine, I'll probably remove it entirely after a few days of testing.

I played Bowling for about 40 minutes and not once did the controller even think about leaving my hand. The strap isn't even necessary.

Yeah clearly there are personal differences on this. You know how some people lean to the left when stirring to the left in a Racing game? My friend physically moves up a bit when jumping Mario. Some people are like that. When they get so bogged down in the gameplay, they forget that what they are holding is actually a wii remote and that he's in his living room. Then the human reflex kicks in - in this case, letting loose the remote :grin: They may be few and far between, but there are 6 billion people on Earth so there are bound to be many stories of this coming out.

I was just thinking, maybe one solution is to attach Nunchuck to Wii remote and have him hold the Nunchuck with his off-hand. That way when he lets go off the remote, it would not fly away...

A new and inventive way to attack Nintendo now they are looking like they could be successful in the home console market.

To attack Nintendo? Nobody is attacking Nintendo, somebody has simply pointed out a major flaw that needs addressing in my eyes.

Looking at it logically, doing that would just make another part of the strap snap if enough force travels down the strap. Something has to give when there is enough force. You might just as well sellotape around the fist that's gripping the wii remote lol

I was thinking if I covered the whole thin part in sellotape, wouldn't it share some of the strain?

I do wonder how they're gonna make a better wrist strap, because the little loop on the wiimote for the strap seems quite small, so they can't make the strap too big or else it won't fit on. Come to think of it, I don't know why they didn't make the strap so it comes securely fixed to the wiimote? I assume at the moment it's removable right?

I love how the internet can make people accountable for shit like this.

Who needs trading standards.. make a website, get a few million hits and get a settlement from Nintendo's lawyers to take down the site.

What a load of crap. So people are swinging it so fast and hard, and letting go of the controller at the same time so the wrist strap breaks. Idiots.

I won't even be using the strap, always had no interest in the straps. I have supurb grip/clutching ability anyway, GUARANTEED, I will not let go of the controller. Of course I won't be swinging with extreme force like these guys have.

I won't even be using the strap, always had no interest in the straps. I have supurb grip/clutching ability anyway, GUARANTEED, I will not let go of the controller. Of course I won't be swinging with extreme force like these guys have.

£5 says that in a few weeks time we'll see a "OMG I BROKE MY TV!" topic from this guy.

from what i saw the little bit wasnt snaping it was where it joined to the thick part where it came loose. perhaps some superglue would solve the problem.

£5 says that in a few weeks time we'll see a "OMG I BROKE MY TV!" topic from this guy.

:laughing: wouldn't surprise me. To be honest though the people who have had their tvs broken etc deserve it. HOLD THE BLOODY REMOTE FIRMLY!! Not to mention the fact that is it really necessary to swing it so hard??

Aren't you supposed to hold the controller, and not the strap anyway?

Sweat for some people, going a bit over the top for others.

I'm just wondering... How many of the people who are posting in this thread have actually played with the controller? Seriously, if you're over the age of 12 the danger is non-existent.

Haha, i find this really funny. The video around halfway down just proves how hard people are swinging it. They sort of deserve it (sort of because no-one deserves to have a good tv smashed), but it still makes bloody funny reading/watching.

It's not a bloody grenade! Tell me how the strap would break if you didn't swing like a Nazi with a bomb and didn't let go! They only want publicity and free replacements, why else would they film it?

It's the peoples own fault if they swing the remote about like an idiot.

It's obvious solitanze will only buy/wear a wrist-strap if it get's a good review AND it doesn't get ported to the PS3.

It's obvious solitanze will only buy/wear a wrist-strap if it get's a good review AND it doesn't get ported to the PS3.

LMAO!!! :yay::bowdown:

somebody has simply pointed out a major flaw that needs addressing in my eyes

A major flaw?

Read the words that you are typing!

A major flaw would be something like the remote falling apart in your hand, not a strap breaking because someone can't even hold on to a controller!

Everybody look at wii sports, the tennis is the simplest thing since pong, all that you are required to do is hold the controller.

If somebody can't even hold a controller then they are either disabled (which would be a justification as they could not hep it) or they are just plain and simple idiots.

Lets face it we don't know anything about these videos or claims, anything could be going on!

Also if you were going to drink a bottle of coke but when you tipped the bottle you didn't open your mouth and so the coke spilled everywhere, whose fault would that be? Yours or the manufacturer of the coke drink?

I think Penny Arcade sums it up the best for me:

20061129.jpg

Seriously though people, opposable thumbs, learn to use them.

That was great. :)

To be honest, the strap is only likely to break if you swing it like a tit, as Shadow said.

Sign in to follow this